What time does the gym open?!?!

MSW117SL

I was just reading another thread and someone meantioned that the gym didn't open until 7:00am on their ship - The Golden. Is that the same for all ships? That may be a big deal breaker with my hubby that goes to the gym every morning at 5:30am.

yes it is 7 AM. It use to be 6 AM but there are cabins beneath the gyms onboard and he treadmills in particular were waking the passengers up.

Quite a few vacationers enjoy sleeping in and if you get those cabins you can only hope to sleep in until 7 AM.

It’s been my experience that only the Royal-class ships do not enforce any hours in the gym because they’re located over the buffet & not over cabins.

I had to wait until 8AM to use treadmills on both the Regal and the Royal. The gym was open but you couldn't use the treadmills til 8

If he's interested in walking or running, the Promenade (on ships that have one) will be available. Note: on some ships the bow may be blocked in the early AM - on the CB it opened at 7:00.

The 7 am opening must be new. It used to be 6 am but treadmills were not available until 7 am . The ellipticals, exercycles, rowers were always available earlier. I can attest to the Royal Class ships having fitness center availability at 5:30 am.

Those of us who sail in Window Suites on Deck 6 will appreciate those of you who run on Deck 7 Promenade to abide by the posted 8am opening for that activity.

Same for those who insist on using the gym against posted times for those in cabins on Lido forward. Please follow times posted so others can enjoy a good rest.

I had to wait until 8AM to use treadmills on both the Regal and the Royal. The gym was open but you couldn't use the treadmills til 8

Is this really true.....we sail the Royal and Regal often and always go to the gyms at 5:00 AM and I have never seen any signs on the treadmills saying they cannot be used until 8:00 AM.....you can go to those gyms any hour you choose because they are never locked....:confused:

On most ships, yes, no treadmills until 8am. The Regal and Royal don't have staterooms under the fitness center, thus no requirement to wait until 8am. (Or at least I've never seen one) Of course, many passengers don't even know that there is a fitness center aboard. ;p

I’ve used treadmills along with other passengers at 6:00 AM on those ships & like PrincessLuver there were no signs stating that the treadmills couldn’t be used until 8:00. How did you learn about the later time? Signs or a crewmember?

The later time could be a result of someone who came from another ship & incorrectly assumed treadmill use was restricted on all ships. Having the buffet seating area below the gym there’s no reason to restrict treadmill usage.

Is this really true.....we sail the Royal and Regal often and always go to the gyms at 5:00 AM and I have never seen any signs on the treadmills saying they cannot be used until 8:00 AM.....you can go to those gyms any hour you choose because they are never locked....:confused:

On our recent cruises we have only been on the Pacific Princess. Gym door is locked until 7:00 AM. If you want an elliptical you better get in line at least a half hour before or wait until nine or later. They have a high up jogging/walking track on that ship too, so if one can't get on a treadmill that is an alternative. Unfortunately, the last time we were on the ship, 2018 Jan and Feb, they had tried to resurface the track and made it dangerously slick, to the point guests were crashing down all the time if it were the least bit wet, even when walking. Hope they get that corrected.

As far as the Regal and Royal, we have been on both for a total of just shy of two months, last voyage in 2016 though. They would let you into the Gym early but you couldn't use the treadmills until 8:00 AM. They controlled this by unplugging the treadmills. There were pertinent signs advising of this restriction, hung on each one of the treadmills, you had to remove the sign to use the mill. A crewperson would take the signs off and plug the mills in at 8:00 AM.

Edited by kennicott

I was on the Caribbean Princess in May and the gym opened at 7 plus no treadmills till 8. They had a sign on each treadmill.

I hate what you just said. I board the CB on the 25th. I will just have to walk the corridors. I cannot walk outdoors; just doesn't work for me.

I'm a runner, and one of my favorite places to run is on a cruise ship deck. We were on the Regal this summer. Not only did I hate not being able to run on the promenade deck, but the "running track" on deck 18 was a joke. I would get up early in the morning to run, and there would always be 5 crew members out there washing the running track. I don't bring my best running shoes on a cruise, and I never felt safe running. It was always wet and slippery. Running on the treadmill was not an option, as it was only available to start later than I had already completed my run.

Princess has great itineraries, but I would never sail her on a non-port intensive cruise, as my running is more important to me.

I was on the Caribbean Princess in May and the gym opened at 7 plus no treadmills till 8. They had a sign on each treadmill.

I hate what you just said. I board the CB on the 25th. I will just have to walk the corridors. I cannot walk outdoors; just doesn't work for me.

You have to remember...there are CABINS with people in them under the gym. Maybe a faulty build idea on Princess' part, but nothing you can do about it. And using the Promenade deck for a jogging track is dangerous both for runners and people relaxing and those coming in and out of the doors. IMO...there should be NO running, jogging or fast walking on the Promenade deck..for MY safety.

I'm a runner, and one of my favorite places to run is on a cruise ship deck. We were on the Regal this summer. Not only did I hate not being able to run on the promenade deck, but the "running track" on deck 18 was a joke. I would get up early in the morning to run, and there would always be 5 crew members out there washing the running track. I don't bring my best running shoes on a cruise, and I never felt safe running. It was always wet and slippery. Running on the treadmill was not an option, as it was only available to start later than I had already completed my run.

Princess has great itineraries, but I would never sail her on a non-port intensive cruise, as my running is more important to me.

We, too, are avid and serious runners with specific training requirements even while on vacation. It annoys us that treadmills are not available on ships other than Royal class until later (although I hate treadmill running if I can help it), but we start runs on Royal class as early as 5 AM frequently. I would never dream of not abiding by the time restrictions due to guests being in rooms below, however guests should consider that in their room choice and/or Princess should consider that in their newer ship builds (they seem to have done this). We will only sail Royal class now so we can get runs in early on treadmill or "track". The track is not ideal, but I've run over a marathon at a time on the track on Regal/Royal. One can easily hold a fast pace too despite the slicker surface / cleaning / tight turns. Promenade decks on all other ships are just not useable for serious running. Too short / stairs / restricted hours / blind and tight turns / too much "traffic".

On our recent cruises we have only been on the Pacific Princess. Gym door is locked until 7:00 AM. If you want an elliptical you better get in line at least a half hour before or wait until nine or later. They have a high up jogging/walking track on that ship too, so if one can't get on a treadmill that is an alternative. Unfortunately, the last time we were on the ship, 2018 Jan and Feb, they had tried to resurface the track and made it dangerously slick, to the point guests were crashing down all the time if it were the least bit wet, even when walking. Hope they get that corrected.

As far as the Regal and Royal, we have been on both for a total of just shy of two months, last voyage in 2016 though. They would let you into the Gym early but you couldn't use the treadmills until 8:00 AM. They controlled this by unplugging the treadmills. There were pertinent signs advising of this restriction, hung on each one of the treadmills, you had to remove the sign to use the mill. A crewperson would take the signs off and plug the mills in at 8:00 AM.

We have been on the Royal, Regal and Majestic many times since 2016 and there is has never been a restriction on any use of equipment at any time.

We also have been on the other ships mentioned and many times you are let in early and it always amazes me that people just remove the "Do Not Use Treadmills Until 8:00 AM) and no one does anything about it even though it is way before 8:00 AM.....:)

We have been on the Royal, Regal and Majestic many times since 2016 and there is has never been a restriction on any use of equipment at any time.

We also have been on the other ships mentioned and many times you are let in early and it always amazes me that people just remove the "Do Not Use Treadmills Until 8:00 AM) and no one does anything about it even though it is way before 8:00 AM.....:)

On the Regal/Royal/Majestic are there even any cabins below or in the vicinity of the gym?