Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

breenw, I've read mixed reviews about the hotel on these boards. The location is fine. For one night it should be fine. It's an easy walk from the hotel to the brand new Harbor Shops Plaza where you'll find a Publix Supermarket among other shops, and restaurants. Theres also a number of conveniance stores nearby if you don't want to trek to the shopping center.

If you have time, take advantage of the Sun Trolley. For 50 cents you can ride the entire route and get to see a bit of the area. The trolley stops at the Harbor Shops every 15 minutes.

http://www.suntrolley.com/bus_route-maps/convention.html

Ok,we changed mind about the Grande hotel,nice but pricey.Decided on the Renaissance which is on 17th st.I read on another thread from people who live on Ft.Lauderdale that this is the safest part of town,with lots of resturants and shopping within walking distance.They said STAY from anything on rt 84! The rate for Renaissance showed $309.00,but they do have a government rate of $126.00.I think that is great! My wife does work for the gov,so we just have to show gov id at check in.This rate is for active military and gov employees.So if any of you are active or gov employees,check it out! Looks like a real nice place and reviews are great for this hotel.......Happy Thanksgiving to everyone............Phil

This is very last minute question. We are flying into Fll today, staying in the Comfort Suites Airport, 1800 S. Federal Hwy. Does anyone know if there is a pharmacy or grocery store within walking distance or nearby?

thanks, Val

Hi Val. You'll see Walgreens less then a block north of your hotel. From your hotel walk east on 18th street (front entrance to your hotel) about a block and a half to the Harbor Shops. Within you'll find a Publix Supermarket, Total wine (the Home Depot of liquor stores) among a bunch of smaller shoppes and restaurants. ;)

We have reservations at both places and need to cancel one or the other.

Our reservation at the Hyatt is for one of the newly renovated Deluxe Lanai rooms.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Spot,

The Hyatt Pier 66 is more of a resort vacation hotel then the Doubletree. It's situated on 22 lush tropical acres, bordered by the intracoastal and a private marina. It's minutes from the port, you can actually see the ships from the hotel. A short walk west from the hotel is the 17th Street shoppes and restaurants. The water taxi stops at the hotel and the sun trolley can get you to the beach in under 5 minutes.

The Doubletree is located near a great high-end shopping mall, the Galleria.

If I we're vacationing and I wanted to start my vacation as a vacation rather then just a place to stay, I'd choose the Hyatt...hands down. ;)

Can anybody tell me which hotel would be better. I have booked both for February 17/07. This will be for 3 nights post cruise so we want to be close to shops and things to do...like restaurants, night clubs, shopping. Beach is good to but not top priority...as long as its close enough not to spend a fortune on a cab.

Embassy Suites, hands down.

The trolley to the beach is only 50 cents. Plenty of shops and restaurants nearby within easy walking distance. The water taxi stop is within walking distance as well.

Best reason, your less then 5 minutes from the port and airport. ;)

My family will be taking a cruise in June 2007 to Miami and we want to stay in a nice hotel that is close to the beach. I can'nt decide on Miami or Fort Lauderdale. My mother and sister does'nt want to stay by themself so I guess we will need a suite there will be 6 of us.

Hi, Any info on this hotel's location? Is it near any shopping, restaurants, Walgreens? TIA.

The location can't be beat, it's directly on the ocean. Shopping, restaurants, Walgreens are all but a short ride away on the 50 cent Sun Trolley. Get on and off the trolley anywhere along the route. Thursday through Sunday the trolley runs every 15 minutes. ;)

http://www.suntrolley.com/bus_route-maps/convention.html

Hey, that's exactly the information I needed! We're staying there in a couple of weeks the night before our cruise, and I wanted to pick up a couple of things (like a 6-pack of beer and some cointreau to make cosmos.) I'm Canadian, so I can never keep in my head which types of places sell beer, wine and liquor. I am presume Walgreen does not? Is there something close to the Yankee Trader that would?

Wendy, The Sun Trolley would work best for you as well as there aren't any liquor or grocery stores near the Trader. Head towards the Harbor Shops on the trolley route for all your last minute shopping needs. ;)

/////

Thanks! I have also heard elsewhere that there's interesting shopping and dining on Las Olas Blvd. Beyond the drugstore/liquor store type of thing, for sure, but it sounds interesting.

Oh, and I did a search on google maps, and see that there's a package store near the corner of Las Olas and Atlantic Boulevard! It looks to be less than a kilometre from the hotel (sorry, I'm Canadian!)

We are flying into Fll in March, and staying at the Hyatt Regency Bonventure(priceline 117) How far is saw grass mills from there?

We are going to pick up a car at the airport(Budget) and return to the 17th street location. Can my Hubby drop me off at the port and then take the shuttle back? He's afraid he will get lost.:eek:

Can someone also suggest places to eat nearby as well.

Thanks

The location can't be beat, it's directly on the ocean. Shopping, restaurants, Walgreens are all but a short ride away on the 50 cent Sun Trolley. Get on and off the trolley anywhere along the route. Thursday through Sunday the trolley runs every 15 minutes. ;)

That is great news! Can't wait to be on the beach again ... Thanks so much for your help!

Bequia,

What else is near Hyatt Pier Sixty-Six? How far is it from other hotels on 17th street (like Embassy Suites)?

I know this hotel was in bad need of renovation, do you know if this has been accomplished? I've "heard" that the Deluxe Lanai rooms are the only area that is completely redone. Is this area a far walk from registration, eating areas, etc?

You are such a wealth of information, if you were here, I'd definitely give you a hug.

Thanks Bequia!!

Hi:) I'm not Bequia, but I have stayed in FLL quite a

few times.

The Hyatt is over the bridge from the other 17th Street

Hotels.

Embassy Suites and Renaissance are on the other side of

the bridge.

It is walkable for those who are walkers. Or a cab ride

is cheap;)

You can pick up the Water Taxi from the Hyatt very easily

and go to Las Olas or many other stops too:)

Hope this helps a bit.

Bequia,

What else is near Hyatt Pier Sixty-Six? How far is it from other hotels on 17th street (like Embassy Suites)?

I know this hotel was in bad need of renovation, do you know if this has been accomplished? I've "heard" that the Deluxe Lanai rooms are the only area that is completely redone. Is this area a far walk from registration, eating areas, etc?

You are such a wealth of information, if you were here, I'd definitely give you a hug.

Thanks Bequia!!

Deb, The hotels multi million dollar renovation is complete. The hotel is spectacular, still my favorite hotel in all of Ft Lauderdale only second to the Lago Mar. Trust me, you will not be disappointed with the Hyatt. I personally prefer the Lanai rooms over the tower rooms, I'm sure you'll like them as well. Although the rooftop lounge is no longer open to the public you can still check out the awsome views from atop the tower. Just take the elevator to the floor below the private lounge, walk the corridor to the fire stairs closest to the port, open the door to the stairs and you'll be outside looking at the pier (it's an exterior stairway) the views are great.

Getting around, I can't recommend the fifty cent Sun Trolley enough. It runs every 15 minutes, covers a great area of shops, restaurants and beach. you can get on and off wherever you like.

Have a great vacation.

Lois R - Sorry, I'll be out of the area when your here, perhaps next time.

I have been researching transportation also from FLL to the pier (and to downtown Miami for the hotel) and I found Quality Limo Service 1-888-743-3826 for $10 a person from FLL to the pier or downtown. They said it's about a 40 minute ride in no traffic. I should clarifly it's actually vans, not limos :) Also, we stayed at the Port of Miami Holiday Inn last year and it was perfect for us. It wasn't too expensive but it was conviently located by Bayside which is where we spent our pre cruise time. It was a decent hotel, not perfect but good enough. We just bought some drinks and sat by the pool!

Archived