Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

We were able to get a reservation at both the Amerisuites and Extended suites on 17th. We are staying Feb.23 and Mar. 3 pre and post cruise. By reading the boards these seem to be okay. Now we have to decide which one. Feb. 23rd seems to be very popular. Most hotels on 17th are sold out. Thank you everyone for your great information.

Peace, Anna:)

Bequia - this is off topic but since you live in FLL I thought you might be able to help.

I would like to purchase a couple bottles of wine but wasn't sure if they carry it there. It is Schmitt Sohne Riesling, blue bottle, Qualitaswein (sp).

Thanks!

I'm trying to decide between Sleep Inn Dania, LaQuinta Hollywood or the Ocean Manor Hotel.

Is there anything to do within walking distance of these hotels other than shopping? I believe I remember reading that the SI is within walking distance of a beach? If so is it a nice one to visit? We have no interest in swimming or anything. My mom has never seen the ocean and I figured a nice walk on the beach might be nice.

Bequia - this is off topic but since you live in FLL I thought you might be able to help.

I would like to purchase a couple bottles of wine but wasn't sure if they carry it there. It is Schmitt Sohne Riesling, blue bottle, Qualitaswein (sp).

Thanks!

Total Wine & More recently opened a store in Ft Lauderdale in the Harbor Shops shopping center located behind the Embassy Suites on SE 17th Street. If your not familiar with Total Wine & More think of them as what Home Depot is to lumber and hardware. They offer a huge selection of wines, beers and liquor.

Their staff is very knowledgeable, you can call them direct at 954.828.9463 to see if they carry it. I'm willing to bet they do. If they don't I'm sure they'll get it for you and have it waiting for when you arrive. ;)

http://www.totalwine.com/StoreList.aspx?state=FL&store=901

/////

I'm trying to decide between Sleep Inn Dania, LaQuinta Hollywood or the Ocean Manor Hotel.

Is there anything to do within walking distance of these hotels other than shopping? I believe I remember reading that the SI is within walking distance of a beach? If so is it a nice one to visit? We have no interest in swimming or anything. My mom has never seen the ocean and I figured a nice walk on the beach might be nice.

Sleep Inn is 1.5 miles from Hollywood Beach, one of if not the nicest beaches in SoFla. I'd recommend a cab and have them drop you off at the Marriott on Hollywood Beach. It's a great starting point to walk either north or south on the oceanfron broadwalk. Not only that, they have a fantastic open air cafe overlooking the ocean with an ecclectic menu. Simply delicious. The broadwalk is almost 3 miles long, very safe and secure. ;)

Here's a virtual tour of the beach:

http://www.hollywoodfl.org/virtual_tours/broadwalk/broadwalk.htm

And another link:

http://www.visithollywood.org/

Marriott Hollywood Beach:

http://www.hollywoodbeachmarriott.com/

Hi, I just made reservations thru pl for bahia mar resort for pre curise. I was wondering if anyone can give us info on it. shuttle breakfast etc. I think it is close to the beach. for some reason it did not show my first reply, I am posting again. thank you

Anyone know if there is some place near Sheraton Yankee Trader (FLL) to shop for drug store and grocery products plus case(s) of wine for our pre-cruise? There 2 nights pre-cruise. Rather purchase products in FLL than drag all the way from Canada/Westcoast.

Also, anyone have any feedback with regard to staying at the Sheraton Yankee Trader?

Sleep Inn is 1.5 miles from Hollywood Beach, one of if not the nicest beaches in SoFla. I'd recommend a cab and have them drop you off at the Marriott on Hollywood Beach. It's a great starting point to walk either north or south on the oceanfron broadwalk. Not only that, they have a fantastic open air cafe overlooking the ocean with an ecclectic menu. Simply delicious. The broadwalk is almost 3 miles long, very safe and secure. ;)

Here's a virtual tour of the beach:

http://www.hollywoodfl.org/virtual_tours/broadwalk/broadwalk.htm

And another link:

http://www.visithollywood.org/

Marriott Hollywood Beach:

http://www.hollywoodbeachmarriott.com/

Thanks - that sounds great! Any idea how much the cab ride would run? Will it be easy to find a cab to take us back or should we walk? How is the walk from Sleep Inn to the beach (distance is not an issue, just wondering if it's worth it to walk or just do the cab like you suggested)?

Thanks - that sounds great! Any idea how much the cab ride would run? Will it be easy to find a cab to take us back or should we walk? How is the walk from Sleep Inn to the beach (distance is not an issue, just wondering if it's worth it to walk or just do the cab like you suggested)?

The cab fare should be minimal, $5-$8 each way. There's always cabs waiting for fares at the Marriott. The walk from the Sleep Inn to the beach is doable, it's flat with the only rise crossing over the drawbridge that traverses the intracoastal. I enjoy a good walk too but I would save my energy for the broadwalk beach walk. Trust me, it's a really gorgeous beach, the broadwalk is wonderful, you can check out all the family owned oceanfront hotels and motels.

I'm willing to bet after your visit you'll book a week in one of the properties for your next visit. Depending on the time of the year it's best to walk early morning or late afternoon as the nid-day sun and heat can get to you. (unless of course you bring your bathing suit, showers are available at almost every other block on the broadwalk );)

we have booked the Holiday Inn Ft Lauderdale Beach for our family, including children, in March. I have not seen mention of this one. Does anyone know it, or any info on whether it is nice? I know it's supposed to be on or across from the beach. We really want a beach prior to our transatlantic cruise wth children.

thank you!

I have a reservation at the Ft. Lauderdale Grande Hotel and Yacht Club for a one night precruise stay. It's gotten mixed reviews on TripAdvisor b/c of damage it sustained from a hurricane recently. Has anyone stayed there recently and any input on it if you have?

We are booked at Extended stay suites America for pre and post cruise in Feb. and March. No hotel shuttle, so should we arrange for a car service or just grab a cab...airport to hotel....hotel to pier? Thanks for any insight.

Peace, Anna:)

I have a reservation at the Ft. Lauderdale Grande Hotel and Yacht Club for a one night precruise stay. It's gotten mixed reviews on TripAdvisor b/c of damage it sustained from a hurricane recently. Has anyone stayed there recently and any input on it if you have?

I think someone from this board is there right now and promised to report back when they return. If nothing else, we will be there two weeks from tonite, and I will report back as well. We were a little hesitant as well, but figured it was just for one night. We had booked the Pier 66 as a backup, but I just couldn't see paying an extra $125 for one night. I love the location of the Grande and the view it gives you. Hope this helps!

Just had to chime in here and say thanks to all who recommended this place. The shuttle was pretty quick getting to the airport after we called. We actually called before we got our luggage and were told to call back when we all had our luggage. After waiting and waiting at baggage claim for almost an hour, I then understood why. The rooms were clean, the breakfast was plentiful and the pool area was fine. We walked over to Villa JoJo's for snacks/beers and then back for dinner. Pretty good food (wonderful garlic bread and soups) and very good service.

We were on the Legend sailing that was delayed leaving a day. We had just found this out when we got to the hotel. They were very accomodating with changing our reservation and adding the extra day. The desk staff was wonderful, however the housekeeping staff was pretty rude. I guess as long as they keep the rooms clean, which they did, interacting with the customers is not in their job descriptions. :) Being from the South, I'm used to greeting everyone with a smile and a good morning and usually get the same thing back. Not here. It wasn't a big deal, and it wouldn't keep me from staying here again.

The Publix was across the street, hit it a couple of times for wine/sodas, etc. One hint, if you're short on funds or not feeling like going out for dinner, we saw one couple that picked up a rotisserie chicken and a few side dishes from their deli, along with a bottle of wine and having a lovely dinner al fresco by the pool. The chicken smelled wonderful!!!

All in all, this worked out fine for our pre-cruise stay.

While those South 17th St. hotels, look great, they are a little rich for my wallet. Plus they don't exactly meet my needs.

With my older kids, I really need 2 queen beds (or 2 rooms, but that's too expensive too), and must hotels have either 1 king and sofa, or 2 double. Neither really works well for us.

I've found what looks like a good hotel that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. it's the SpringHill Suites - Fort Lauderdale Airport on 151 Southwest 18th Court in Dania Beach. My family will be driving in and meeting my in-laws who are flying in to Fort Lauderdale. This looks like it is convenient to the airport and the cruiseport.

Any comments on this hotel. Nice hotel? Is it a safe area? Good restaurants nearby? Since we are driving our own car, transportation is really not an issue.

Hi,:) I don't think it is a Springhill Suites anymore.

Actually I know its not. I was going to stay there last year

and Bequia was kind enough to let me know it was no longer

a Marriott property.

I think your best bet is the Sleep-Inn everyone has been raving

about:).

It is supposed to be very reasonable in price, clean, and near

many restaurants.

And I think you can leave your car there..they have shuttles

to and from the port.

Hi,:) I don't think it is a Springhill Suites anymore.

Actually I know its not. I was going to stay there last year

and Bequia was kind enough to let me know it was no longer

a Marriott property.

I think your best bet is the Sleep-Inn everyone has been raving

about:).

It is supposed to be very reasonable in price, clean, and near

many restaurants.

And I think you can leave your car there..they have shuttles

to and from the port.

It is still bookable through the Marriott web site and they do call it SpringHill Suites. Has anyone stayed there recently?

I will consider the Sleep Inn as well.

Popcorn Gal,

We will be staying at the Grande in two weeks from tonight as well! Have you stayed there before? We have a Harbour View room, but I have heard that some people who have booked Harbour View rooms have actually ended up with a view of the city. Anyone else have this sort of experience?

Archived