Specialty Dining Mariners Discount

mrspeck

I made the reservations for our specialty dinners for our cruise next week. I just gave the number of people. On our itinerary on the HAL website it simply states: Pinnacle Grill for 2, Host dfish. No information about the guest.

If there's one thing HAL is consistent about it's being inconsistent! :D

So true! When I booked PG online for our most recent cruise, only my name and DH's name were available to choose. Not sure how I would have booked more than just us 2, doing it online.

The last time I hosted a PG dinner, 3ish years ago I think, I made the reservations onboard. I'm pretty sure they wanted the cabin # of my guests. But so much of life is just a blur, I can't be 100% certain ;)

From our personal experience in order to be sure of getting the discount (4* now), we will only book the PG while on board. We booked online a number of years ago and have given up expecting to receive the discount, however two years we booked while on board and got our (at that time) 3* discount with no problem and enjoyed it.

I have pre-booked on line many times and always, automarically got the discount without need to ask.
When the star system first started we were already 3*. On a cruise about 2 months into the program they insisted that we could not get the 25% discount at the PG because we had pre-booked it, rather than on-board! :eek: Never any problem since then though.

I have pre-booked on line many times and always, automarically got the discount without need to ask.

I am happy for you, it did not work for us when we were 3* , since then we only book the PG on board. Saves a headache.

When the star system first started we were already 3*. On a cruise about 2 months into the program they insisted that we could not get the 25% discount at the PG because we had pre-booked it, rather than on-board! :eek: Never any problem since then though.

I took them a little while to get the** Star program running reasonaby smoothly

We had our Platinum Medallions when they started the Star Mariner Program. The check in person it he terminal , was so excited and made a big deal a bout our 3 stars, She had no clue how many 'real' , actual sail days, were required for platinum. :) vs how many days for 3 stars.

She was Cute.

From the HAL Website: FAQ Can I extend my benefits (Such as the 25% or 50% discount at select food and beverage outlets) to shipmates?

Answer:

No. Benefits are intended for the personal use of the applicable guest and those sharing a stateroom with the guest on the same booking number. Not applicable to groups. Holland America Line reserves the right to limit benefits if necessary.

Those who just posted that they received such extended benefits, just informed HAL of an error on their bill.

From the HAL Website: FAQ Can I extend my benefits (Such as the 25% or 50% discount at select food and beverage outlets) to shipmates?

Answer:

No. Benefits are intended for the personal use of the applicable guest and those sharing a stateroom with the guest on the same booking number. Not applicable to groups. Holland America Line reserves the right to limit benefits if necessary.

Those who just posted that they received such extended benefits, just informed HAL of an error on their bill.

Yes, technically the discount only applies to the Mariners at the table, but only once, on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2010, was that rule ever enforced for us. I think HAL decided it wasn't worth the arguments that ensued, and simply decided to stop enforcing the rule without changing it in print.

Or maybe they decided it wasn't worth the complications of sorting out the bill for a mixed group.

Edited by catl331

Yes, technically the discount only applies to the Mariners at the table, but only once, on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2010, was that rule ever enforced for us. I think HAL decided it wasn't worth the arguments that ensued, and simply decided to stop enforcing the rule without changing it in print.

Or maybe they decided it wasn't worth the complications of sorting out the bill for a mixed group.

Good points.

I asked a PG manager once and she said that HAL's attitude was that IF you are paying for the dinners (or lunches) for everyone at the table, they consider it personal use.

IF someone was flagrantly abusing it, they would take action but if it was just a matter of a few dinners, they were not concerned.

I suspect the paperwork is too much for them too. Frankly, they have a tough time reimbursing 5* benefits sometimes so they probably take the path of least resistance ;)

I think you re spot on, Catl :)

Can you imagine if they had eveyone at the table produce their key card to prove how many starMRINER they are? It would be outrageously unprofessional and disruptive. Embarrassing for the host who invited them all and had not asked fo r anything to be done about pricing? It would be out of control and horrible but HALcrews (for the most part) are too well t rained and experienced to do sch a thing IMO

Edited by sail7seas

Can you imagine if they had eveyone at the table produce their key card to prove how many starMRINER they are?
"Let's see ... you're 4-star, so you get 50% off, but this couple is only 3-star, so they get 25%, off and this gentleman is just 2-star, but still gets 25% off because he is the same cabin as the 3-star couple, but he had two glasses of wine, and ... " :D:D

Posted byh Kazu:

Originally posted by kazu ... Frankly, they have a
tough time reimbursing 5* benefits sometimes
so they probably take the path of least resistance ;)

What do you mean? Is HAL unable to cover the costs of the 5* Mariner benefits?

Kazu, You can't really mean HAL is cl ose to being insolv ent? That is the meaning I am taking from your post. Would you kindly clarify. TIA.

Kazu, You can't really mean HAL is cl ose to being insolv ent? That is the meaning I am taking from your post. Would you kindly clarify. TIA.

If I were a betting man, I'd give fairly long odds against either of us getting a direct answer to our question regarding the unsubstantiated innuendo about HAL's alleged inability to meet its 5* Mariner benefit obligations. (yn):cool:

The Mariner discounts apply to PG lunch 3*, 4*, 5*

Thank you; we've never had lunch in the Pinnacle Grill before, so I thought we might try it on our upcoming cruise, but wasn't sure if the discount applied or not.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thank you; we've never had lunch in the Pinnacle Grill before, so I thought we might try it on our upcoming cruise, but wasn't sure if the discount applied or not.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Yes, your Mariner Discount applies. (y)