Live on Liberty: RCI Appears To Maintain a Passenger Database Of Preferences

I noticed that on the slip of paper they printed out for My Time Dining that it had some notes about us on the paper:

Likes Bread

Only Water

The first is true; I love bread! The second is true in the sense that we don’t order alcohol, but I do have iced tea.

I noticed that when we arrived in our stateroom this trip that they had the tubes of shampoo, body wash, etc. (we don’t have 340 points yet, but we are Diamond Plus; we have asked for them before on prior cruises). They also had our robes already hanging for us that we have had to request too.

I like the idea that they track our likes so we don’t have to tell everyone what we prefer on every cruise. Does anyone else have any information about such a database and what kind of info they keep?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've asked IT managers if they keep this kind of guest info in their database, and they all have said no. Of course, this could be what they have to say to keep their job.

On Liberty of the Seas they are giving us bread baskets instead of the asst waiters bringing the bread and asking what kind you want. So, the note about the bread was definitely from a prior cruise. DW and I would have at least 4 pieces each with our dinner.

Once upon a time we were afraid to upset things and empty the refrigerator, Then we started putting the "bar-fridge" contents up on a shelf. Then came the time that we were booked in one of Majesty's incredibly small cabins and didn't feel that we could spare the shelf space and asked our cabin attendant to remove it. "Sure thing, no problem!" The next cruise we asked to fringe to be emptied. Now it is always empty when we board, while at the same time, I see the bar staff filling the fridges in other cabins. We do MT dining. We are always seated in the same area of the dining room every cruise. There is almost always an extension cord for my DH's C-PAP machine plus a gallon of distilled water for it. Even my feather pillows are usually there. So, yes, I think that keep records of regular cruisers likes and dis-likes.

... Now it is always empty when we board, while at the same time, I see the bar staff filling the fridges in other cabins. ...

This is the same for all ships now, the fridges are empty at boarding. If someone wants soda in the fridge, they order it and crewmembers deliver it.

I noticed that on the slip of paper they printed out for My Time Dining that it had some notes about us on the paper:

Likes Bread

Only Water

The first is true; I love bread! The second is true in the sense that we don’t order alcohol, but I do have iced tea.

I noticed that when we arrived in our stateroom this trip that they had the tubes of shampoo, body wash, etc. (we don’t have 340 points yet, but we are Diamond Plus; we have asked for them before on prior cruises). They also had our robes already hanging for us that we have had to request too.

I like the idea that they track our likes so we don’t have to tell everyone what we prefer on every cruise. Does anyone else have any information about such a database and what kind of info they keep?

I would hope they don't keep a database but it figures they would not allow their employees to admit to it as the truth is no longer the truth and we can only guess where to they would exile the offending employee who tells the truth.

Likes Bread

Only Water

(we don’t have 340 points yet, but we are Diamond Plus; we have asked for them before on prior cruises).

By time you're D+ I'm sure you've been around the block enough times that there may be a rap sheet on your likes. Not sure if gonna-turn-100-points on our upcoming trip us have a history yet, but this is encouraging.

I know what I saw last night and it had those two comments on the paper the host used to seat us. I am definitely a bread lover and we never order any drinks in the MDR except the freebies. Perhaps the notes are kept just on the top two tiers and not everyone else. I was just surprised to see those notes below our names. It was clearly old if they do bread baskets fleet wide now. Our last cruise before the one we are on now was September/October, 2017 transpacific from Vancouver to Sydney and the assistant waiter was still passing out the bread back then. Personally, it doesn’t bother me as long as they don’t put negative stuff in there. It may only apply to dining as I wasn’t privy to what info the SA has. It could very well be the field of data that they use for special dining requests too (assuming there is such a thing). If so, perhaps the MDR staff was utilizing it to make notes about preferences.

Edited by WeighAnchor

I asked if they have savoury bites on my Navigator TA... and then every night, whenever I sat down a waiter would appear with a plate of savoury bites. So yes, there must be something against your name, for that voyage that indicates you have a preference. Or a request.

Otherwise how else would they know that someone with dietary preferences or who had preordered special meals has arrived and is seated?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the Allure in March, we let our waiter in MTD know about a food allergy my wife has. He made a note of it, and that information followed us the entire cruise, even to the specialty restaurants.

It will be interesting to see if it was cruise specific, or if it will carry forward when we are on Harmony in a couple months.

Why would you be surprised that RCL would keep tabs of a customer's likes and dislikes? They are in the hospitality business and want to make your vacation the best ever. The more they can make you feel a valued customer, the more likely you'll return and tell others. The bigger the company, the more likely they'll have a data mining system. Why should that be only with FB or Amazon?

Likes Bread

Only Water

Interesting. :)

I snapped a pic tonight of the slip of paper. The entries are dated this week, so maybe it is for the current cruise only. The bread comment seems strange since they do the baskets and I haven’t ever requested a second basket.

bcf218db6779ff564401a98c12621d33.jpg

Why would you be surprised that RCL would keep tabs of a customer's likes and dislikes? They are in the hospitality business and want to make your vacation the best ever. The more they can make you feel a valued customer, the more likely you'll return and tell others. The bigger the company, the more likely they'll have a data mining system. Why should that be only with FB or Amazon?

I know that many in the hospitality industry do make notes on their frequent guests and I have no problem at all. I’m fine with anything that makes my experience a better one.

I snapped a pic tonight of the slip of paper. The entries are dated this week, so maybe it is for the current cruise only. The bread comment seems strange since they do the baskets and I haven’t ever requested a second basket.

That would be my guess.

I asked if they have savoury bites on my Navigator TA... and then every night, whenever I sat down a waiter would appear with a plate of savoury bites. So yes, there must be something against your name, for that voyage that indicates you have a preference. Or a request.

Otherwise how else would they know that someone with dietary preferences or who had preordered special meals has arrived and is seated?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love me some Savory Bites and request them every cruise. Like you, after Day One they are there, a fresh, hot plate, all for ME! Headed out Sun on Oasis-wonder if I’ll have to ask?! We shall see....