Pearl for Teenagers?

StephFromAZ

My husband and I are considering a 13 day voyage on the Pearl and would be sailing with our 3 teenage sons - ages 14 / 14/ 17 during travel. We haven't sailed Norwegian before, but have done Disney several times. With a longer sailing and multiple port days - and a large pricetag! - I wanted to ask if anybody had done a similar length sailing on the Pearl (or similar ship) with teenage boys. If so, what was their experience? We are going back and forth between a 7 day Epic and a 13 day Pearl and could really use all the advice we can get :-)

Thanks in advance!

Stephanie

I have been on the Pearl three times. If you have lots of port days there will be

lots for them to do. It's the sea days that you will need to plan ahead to have stuff

for them to do. Off the top of my head there is no pool slide and the climbing wall

shuts down if it is windy. There is a basketball area and a ping pong table. Not

sure but the last time there was bowling too. Have never had someone old enough

for the teen club but if they are the type that likes to make friends I did see

lots of "new" friends made on the cruise hanging out together.

I've been on both ships and I would stick with the Pearl. The Epic does have a couple fun water slides but honestly after you ride 2 or 3 times people generally are all done with them. The design of the Epic and the way NCL packs passengers in on the Epic will be very disappointing to you coming from a Disney cruise. The Pearl feels more upscale and it is most definitely less crowded.

I think in general, the longer the cruise, the less kids and teens. This applies across all cruise lines. I do have older teens. I think in general, the older the teens get the less interested they are in the teen club. My kids loved the kids club up until about 14 or 15. After that, they would go the first night but then hung out mostly on their own. You having 3 maybe they will be willing to give it a try because they won't feel so awkward as a threesome.

Make sure to have them go to the ‘welcome’ meeting in the teen club the first day. It’s an ice breaker and helps the kids get connected. There are things to do in the teen club , I have pics of the getaway and daughter has said they are all quite similar Link here https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/

We’ve been on Pearl (Panama canal), escape, epic multiple times and getaway. She feels they are all fairly similar, but to make the connections at that first meeting and then you have people to hang out with. They use the teen club as a meet up spot; then go in groups to goof off at the pool or whatever. We usually travel on holiday weeks due to school so it’s always packed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i am also considering the pearl 13 night cruise leaving june 22 with my 14 year old grandaughter. she and i were on ncl spirit in 2017 rome r/t and regal princess june this year copenhagen r/t. she very excited for the ncl pearl ports and goes to the teen club the first night to meet new friends.

We were not on the Pearl but were on a 9 night cruise with our 13 yo boy (and younger girl). It took him a couple a few days to work up the courage but once he went to the teen club he never wanted to leave. Most days we were in ports all day, but as soon as we’d get back he’d go there. I know he played a lot of Wii and learned to play poker and did karaoke. He didn’t do any of the dances etc bc that not his thing...he is more of an introvert and so did not make a group of friend or anything, but he seemed to enjoy his time there

Thanks all! I am the original poster but cannot seem to log in with my StephinAZ profile for some reason. Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's advice. We just booked the 13 night Pearl from Amsterdam to Rome on June 22nd and am super excited about it. What an amazing itinerary! Now waiting to see those shore excursions as they become available. I am trying to create a Roll Call for the sailing but am having trouble doing it (Notice a theme? I am tech savvy I promise!). Once I - or someone else - figures it out, I look forward to connecting with others on the sailing.

Happy sailing all!

Steph

(Party of 5 w/ 3 sons ages 17, 14, 14 at time of sailing)

Thanks all! I am the original poster but cannot seem to log in with my StephinAZ profile for some reason. Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's advice. We just booked the 13 night Pearl from Amsterdam to Rome on June 22nd and am super excited about it. What an amazing itinerary! Now waiting to see those shore excursions as they become available. I am trying to create a Roll Call for the sailing but am having trouble doing it (Notice a theme? I am tech savvy I promise!). Once I - or someone else - figures it out, I look forward to connecting with others on the sailing.

Happy sailing all!

Steph

It looks like a great itinerary, but with only 2 sea days that are consecutive it will be exhausting! (We did 9 this summer with 2 sea days). I dint know all those parts but you might want to plan in an extra day to stay onboard, if there’s a port that seems like a throwaway

Happy sailing all!

Steph

going to book this cruise also. working on deciding to fly in one day early, transfers, hotel and then to ship details.

also deciding if best to book direct with ncl or use travel agent. would be so much easier if ncl had air packages. grandaughter age 14 at sailing date very seasoned cruiser.

It looks like a great itinerary, but with only 2 sea days that are consecutive it will be exhausting! (We did 9 this summer with 2 sea days). I dint know all those parts but you might want to plan in an extra day to stay onboard, if there’s a port that seems like a throwaway

While this is a bit of topic, I am amazed by how many people think that port days are exhausting. We book cruises based on the amount of port days, the more the better. We try our best to avoid sea days as we find them boring beyond belief. That's the beauty of cruising there are things for everyone.