QM2 Hot Tub Not So Hot

Jack E Dawson

Last May (2017) my wife and I took a TA on the QM2. In the afternoons we enjoyed relaxing in either of the two hot tubs on the stern of deck 8. However, we found the temperature of the water in both of the hot tubs to be not so hot. Normally a hot tub is maintained within a degree or two of 102F (39C) but I estimate the water temperature in these specific QM2 hot tubs to be 88-90F (31-33C). We are now booked on the Sept. 2 Fashion Week TA and are looking forward relaxing in one of those hot tubs and watching the ship's wake spill out from the stern. Does anybody have more recent experience with these specific hot tubs? Hopefully this was just an anomaly on last year's cruise and not the norm.

Thanks

I've never checked the temperature but they have been hot when we've used them (to the point my husband is hesitant to get in!) Wind chill can play a part in the feel of the water temperature I always think or they could just have been running cooler than normal on your trip.

On the 13th July sailing the hot tubs were just tepid. I have always used the indoor pool/hot tubs during the morning and after a few of days decided not to bother because they were so cool. I spoke with the crew about the temperature and they just shrugged their shoulders.

It seems not to be an isolated occurrence.

Are all hot tubs now "warm" tubs"?

The Balcony "Hot" Tubs

Why are hot tubs on cruise ships not hot?

A credible answer is at the last link above.

Yes, actually there are regulations. Ships are required to have a temperature-control mechanism to prevent the temperature from exceeding 40°C/104° F. (https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/docs/vsp_operations_manual_2018-508.pdf)

They don't like getting anywhere close to that temperature so they keep it a bit lower. Generally pool temperatures run from 20°-30° Celsius (68°-86° Fahrenheit) with hot tubs running 30°-40° Celsius (86°-104° Fahrenheit). There is a big difference between how the lower range feels compared to the upper end.