Azamara Newbie - So Far....., HMMMMM?

CapeCodFlyer

We are sailing on the Azamara Quest from Venice this coming Sunday (August 26th) and are heading to the airport in less than 48 hours. I was bewildered by the sparse amount of information regarding my cruise, particularly which terminal we would use for embarkation. I actually booked a hotel near Piazzale Roma, thinking that we could use the People Mover and would be sailing from Marittima. All of my documents and emails from Azamara described the port as simply "Venice". I finally called Azamara today to confirm the terminal and was told San Basilio. When I asked the agent why the lack of information, she told me that a packet of information had been sent to my TA. So... I called the TA and shared my conversation. After a long period on hold, and a TA call to Azamara, they e-mailed the information to me. Imagine my surprise when it was simply the online booking information which I had already printed when I completed the online booking with AZ. Once again, the online booking information identified the departure terminal as "Venice".

What am I missing? Is this typical of a "luxury entry" cruise line service? Where am I supposed to obtain the information regarding the cruise? I'd love to know which ports are going to be tendered or even which terminal will be used when we dock. Have others received more detailed information about their AZ cruise or does "luxury" cruising mean its all a big surprise? Have others received information from their TA or directly from AZ?

I've received much more detailed information from Princess and Celebrity in the past, and I was at least expecting the same (or more) from Azamara. Very frustrating when I could have purchased 10 cruises on Princess for the price of this single Azamara.

Under "already booked" on the Azamara website, you will find all the embarkation information. Here is a link: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/en-ca/booked-guests/you-board/directions-embarkation. Just click on your embarkation port and there will be good directions (a map, and presumably all the information you will need). This is what I have done for the past few years, since they stopped sending, via snail mail, my glossy travel brochure and luggage tags. Sometimes if I forget, our hotel can always find out and give instructions to a taxi driver.

Outside of Azamara, I have only cruised with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean in the past few years. I don't recall how I received my embarkation information from them, but I'm almost certain it wasn't in the form of a brochure mailed to me or to my TA. And I don't know how the true luxury lines now do it as that has been a few years, too;).

As to itinerary and tendered/vs docked ports, that is always on the initial itinerary that I have printed from the get-go...as soon as I've identified the cruise I want to take. It outlines times in port and whether they will tender or dock. This information is critical to me in planning my time ashore. I assume that yours is still on the website.

We have never had any trouble finding the pier or in boarding. Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise!

We just took our first AZ cruise (15 night Norway on Journey) and we signed up for two more while on board. We are long time Celebrity cruisers (only line we've ever been on before this last AZ cruise).

I'm sorry your experience has been disappointing, but I can assure you that your onboard experience will be quite the opposite. It's kind of known that the Royal Caribbean brands' websites are awful.

We were amazed at how visible the officers were on board, and how friendly and helpful everyone was. We found the food many steps above Celebrity's, and for the first time in about 7 years we ate in the main dining room. We enjoyed every meal. The specialty restaurants were wonderful too, and if you go to Aqualina please consider the dover sole. We will eat in them a lot more on our upcoming cruises. We found all the included beverages perfect, and we like good wines. We liked the smaller bar venues and didn't miss the martini bar at all. I like the smaller theatre and the '54' shows were very good. We loved White Night in the fjord and the Azamazing Evening in Bergen. I guess you could say we have found a new cruise "home."

I have to admit I can't relate to your particular issue as we just hail a cab from the hotel whenever we're on our way to port, and I can't say I've ever given the terminal or location a second thought. I can understand your situation, I just haven't ever experienced it.

I do hope your cruise is wonderful. It sounds like a great itinerary. I'll be looking for a report/review on your return.

We just took our first AZ cruise (15 night Norway on Journey) and we signed up for two more while on board. We are long time Celebrity cruisers (only line we've ever been on before this last AZ cruise).

I'm sorry your experience has been disappointing, but I can assure you that your onboard experience will be quite the opposite. It's kind of known that the Royal Caribbean brands' websites are awful.

We were amazed at how visible the officers were on board, and how friendly and helpful everyone was. We found the food many steps above Celebrity's, and for the first time in about 7 years we ate in the main dining room. We enjoyed every meal. The specialty restaurants were wonderful too, and if you go to Aqualina please consider the dover sole. We will eat in them a lot more on our upcoming cruises. We found all the included beverages perfect, and we like good wines. We liked the smaller bar venues and didn't miss the martini bar at all. I like the smaller theatre and the '54' shows were very good. We loved White Night in the fjord and the Azamazing Evening in Bergen. I guess you could say we have found a new cruise "home."

I have to admit I can't relate to your particular issue as we just hail a cab from the hotel whenever we're on our way to port, and I can't say I've ever given the terminal or location a second thought. I can understand your situation, I just haven't ever experienced it.

I do hope your cruise is wonderful. It sounds like a great itinerary. I'll be looking for a report/review on your return.

Great news! We're X people but trying our first Az cruise ----in 2020. We've only eaten in the MDR on a Celebrity ship once in 5 previous cruises ----never again!

We are sailing from Venice in September and have had our e-Doc’s available for a few weeks, these show all the details of the docking arrangement in Venice as well as details of ports.

The document is available on the online check-in section, we access via My Azamara but our travel agent always sends us a link anyway. We are in the U.K. so have to print our luggage tags from this section as well.

We have not cruised Princess for a few years but always had the same information delivered in the same way with them, Celebrity is also the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are sailing on the Azamara Quest from Venice this coming Sunday (August 26th) and are heading to the airport in less than 48 hours. I was bewildered by the sparse amount of information regarding my cruise, particularly which terminal we would use for embarkation. I actually booked a hotel near Piazzale Roma, thinking that we could use the People Mover and would be sailing from Marittima. All of my documents and emails from Azamara described the port as simply "Venice". I finally called Azamara today to confirm the terminal and was told San Basilio. When I asked the agent why the lack of information, she told me that a packet of information had been sent to my TA. So... I called the TA and shared my conversation. After a long period on hold, and a TA call to Azamara, they e-mailed the information to me. Imagine my surprise when it was simply the online booking information which I had already printed when I completed the online booking with AZ. Once again, the online booking information identified the departure terminal as "Venice".

What am I missing? Is this typical of a "luxury entry" cruise line service? Where am I supposed to obtain the information regarding the cruise? I'd love to know which ports are going to be tendered or even which terminal will be used when we dock. Have others received more detailed information about their AZ cruise or does "luxury" cruising mean its all a big surprise? Have others received information from their TA or directly from AZ?

I've received much more detailed information from Princess and Celebrity in the past, and I was at least expecting the same (or more) from Azamara. Very frustrating when I could have purchased 10 cruises on Princess for the price of this single Azamara.

I know what you mean about documentation, we’ve just returned from Seabourn which sent us copius amounts of pre cruise information, luggage tags, leather travel wallet etc, however we don’t miss all this on Azamara, as has been said before, the onboard experience by far outweighs the pre cruise experience!

SAN Basilio is a short taxi ride from your hotel, and a much nicer terminal than Marittima, after you drop off your bags and check in, there is a 5 minute walk to the ship to board, or a shuttle if you prefer.

Have a great cruise

Frequent Azamara cruisers will empathise with you regarding the pre-cruise experience. It is very poor. However I hope you will find like us that once you step on board all the frustrations melt away as the wonderful crew and officers do all they can to ensure you have a superb cruise.

Am very envious that your itinerary includes Cassis. We visited it in June when Quest was docked in Marseille. It is a gorgeous and charming little town. Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing from Venice in September and have had our e-Doc’s available for a few weeks, these show all the details of the docking arrangement in Venice as well as details of ports.

Carol and John - thanks however my e-docs still only state "Venice" where if I took a taxi to Marittima I'd have difficulty getting to San Basilio. I find it amazing that European customers can receive e-docs giving a specific terminal while U.S. customers receive only the name of the port and not that of the terminal. :confused:

I always look at the port information through ‘Whatsinport’ (https://www.whatsinport.com) or crew-Centre.com to check exactly which port we’ll be at.

Thank you Host Grandma but I repeatedly checked Whatsinport. As the attached thumbnail shows, it still doesn't indicated which berth or terminal the ship will be docked at.

194063786_ScreenShot2018-08-23at4_56_38PM.thumb.png.6ad8c1cf3328c00204e26ca92efa0a28.png

I wonder if some of the vagueness about Venice is that the berth can change, probably at the discretion of the port authorities. My mother once took a Windstar cruise from Venice and they were changed from San B to Marittima while Mom was already in Venice. The Windstar people were left scrambling to move guests to the new berth.

Thank you Host Grandma but I repeatedly checked Whatsinport. As the attached thumbnail shows, it still doesn't indicated which berth or terminal the ship will be docked at.

Yes you’re right. I forgot that the Venice port information is less than helpful.

There was a lot of discussion on CC about where Azamara docks in a thread in June and Bonnie posted that for the rest of this year Azamara would be docked at San Basilio - here’s a link to the thread - Bonnie’s post is #31 https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2515465&highlight=Venice+dock&page=2