Any idea how long it takes Carnival to issue a refund?

EwanRGR

My SO's leave policy recently changed, and so had to cancel our trip scheduled for next March. Given the lengthy advanced notice I was hoping not to see quite so much of a cancellation fee ($250 for the both of us), but since I had already paid in over $1100 I figured those were just the breaks. While Carnival has acknowledged the cancellation, I have not yet seen a refund for the difference. All arrangements were made directly through Carnival.

Any idea how long it usually takes them to issue the refund?

We had someone cancel last year. It took almost 3 months of constant contact to get their refund. Partly because they paid in gift cards which is a completely different department which Carnival does not support.

We were told that "normal" cancellation refunds take approximately 4-6 weeks. If you booked through a travel agent keep on them to keep on Carnival.

You will get it eventually but don't be surprised if you're waiting for quite awhile.

Hopefully, someone else has had a better experience and can comment on here for you.

Hang in there!

I canceled a cruise on August 10, I had paid part of the deposit on my credit card and part by gift card. I got the $200 refund on my credit card today, and I got a $100 gift card via FedEx from them today. All in all the process was painless for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You need to find out what rate you booked under. If it's Early Saver, you won't be getting a refund, you'll be getting a Future Cruise Credit. Since you are out a $250 admin fee, that sounds like what happened. I would call Carnival and ask.

They gave me a Future Cruise Credit for the $250 fee, but I understood that I would be getting the remainder back. Unfortunately the folks manning their phones seem to have no idea what their policy for that actually is. So no idea what (if anything) I will be getting. Didn't go through an agent because I thought (silly me) that I'd have less trouble if something like this happened if I went direct. Guess that's a $1000 lesson on why you shouldn't book with Carnival...

They gave me a Future Cruise Credit for the $250 fee, but I understood that I would be getting the remainder back. Unfortunately the folks manning their phones seem to have no idea what their policy for that actually is. So no idea what (if anything) I will be getting. Didn't go through an agent because I thought (silly me) that I'd have less trouble if something like this happened if I went direct. Guess that's a $1000 lesson on why you shouldn't book with Carnival...

Doesn't sound right to me. They usually take the $250 as a nonrefundable fee and the rest is issued as a future cruise credit if you booked ES. Other rates that aren't Early Saver or some variation of them (or Pack and Go Rates that aren't refundable at all - not even FCC, etc) don't have any money held as a future cruise credit.

Look in the invoice Carnival sent you and see in the notes what it says about cancellation and fees. Someone at the 800 number should be able to tell you what rate you booked under. Was it a reduced deposit special? This is why I use a PVP. He knows what the heck is going on. The 800 number CSRs can be worthless as you're finding out it sounds like.

I'm confused,if it's a 7 day cruise and the deposit was $250pp you should have the future credit of $200pp after the $50pp admin fee. The rest you should get back in the form you paid. I've never had to wait more than a week for a refund

This is the Early saver faq about cancelling.

Prior to final payment, the deposit is the only thing they use as a penalty. Not anything you pay above and beyond that.

Does Early Saver follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

The deposit and payment terms are the same. Guests who cancel prior to the final payment date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50 USD service fee per person.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Forums mobile app

I'm confused,if it's a 7 day cruise and the deposit was $250pp you should have the future credit of $200pp after the $50pp admin fee. The rest you should get back in the form you paid. I've never had to wait more than a week for a refund

This is the Early saver faq about cancelling.

Prior to final payment, the deposit is the only thing they use as a penalty. Not anything you pay above and beyond that.

Does Early Saver follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

The deposit and payment terms are the same. Guests who cancel prior to the final payment date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50 USD service fee per person.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Forums mobile app

Yeah, that's normally true. But if they made payment in full or above and beyond, then they may not get it back in cash, but they could issue it as a FCC. I know that's true after final payment date, but they are so far out that it's not the case here. Now I'm not so sure, but I'm leaning towards it not being refundable even if it's not past final payment date. Maybe someone that has paid more on an ES rate early and canceled could chime in. I'm confusing myself trying to figure it out.

Yeah, that's normally true. But if they made payment in full or above and beyond, then they may not get it back in cash, but they could issue it as a FCC. I know that's true after final payment date, but they are so far out that it's not the case here. Now I'm not so sure, but I'm leaning towards it not being refundable even if it's not past final payment date. Maybe someone that has paid more on an ES rate early and canceled could chime in. I'm confusing myself trying to figure it out.

I've done it and anything above the deposit is returned. They cant keep anything other than the remaining deposit as FCC if you cancel before final payment.

I've done it and anything above the deposit is returned. They cant keep anything other than the remaining deposit as FCC if you cancel before final payment.

Then I’m not sure what the hold up is. I would definitely stay on Carnival to make sure they get the refund.

I canceled Bottomless Bubbles once and they “forgot” to issue my refund. When I called back the lady at the Fun Shops was like “You need to give it time.” When I told her it had been weeks, she finally looked it up and said the guy that I spoke to on the phone canceled it, but didn’t put in to issue my refund. How convenient.

Then I’m not sure what the hold up is. I would definitely stay on Carnival to make sure they get the refund.

I canceled Bottomless Bubbles once and they “forgot” to issue my refund. When I called back the lady at the Fun Shops was like “You need to give it time.” When I told her it had been weeks, she finally looked it up and said the guy that I spoke to on the phone canceled it, but didn’t put in to issue my refund. How convenient.

I'm unsure how long the OP has been waiting...days, weeks a month? I know paying with gift cards can slow down the refund process.

When we cancelled a reservation (past guest rate), which was paid with a GC, we received our refund GC in the mail in 10 days.

Carnival actually processed the refund and dropped it in the mail in 7 days.

You need to find out what rate you booked under. If it's Early Saver, you won't be getting a refund, you'll be getting a Future Cruise Credit. Since you are out a $250 admin fee, that sounds like what happened. I would call Carnival and ask.

That’s not correct. I always book Early Saver fares. I have had to cancel cruises twice in the last year due to work. Both times my credit card was refunded the next day, less any applicable penalty fee because I was in the penalty window.

If you are not in the penalty window and you are charged a $250 admin fee, you lose $50 per person, with the remainder credited to a future cruise. The credit has to be used within 24 months.

That’s not correct. I always book Early Saver fares. I have had to cancel cruises twice in the last year due to work. Both times my credit card was refunded the next day, less any applicable penalty fee because I was in the penalty window.

If you are not in the penalty window and you are charged a $250 admin fee, you lose $50 per person, with the remainder credited to a future cruise. The credit has to be used within 24 months.

Good to know. I swore I had seen where people posted on here before that they were mad because they couldn’t get a refund for their remaining balance minus the penalty/admin fee being they booked ES and it was past final payment. I could be wrong. I agree it doesn’t say anything about that in ES T&C at least that I can see.

I was having a hard time figuring it out last night and getting confused myself. It’s not helping that I have an inner ear infection (I think) and am experiencing dizziness every time I turn my head ☹️. Makes for not so sharp concentration.

My SO's leave policy recently changed, and so had to cancel our trip scheduled for next March. Given the lengthy advanced notice I was hoping not to see quite so much of a cancellation fee ($250 for the both of us), but since I had already paid in over $1100 I figured those were just the breaks. While Carnival has acknowledged the cancellation, I have not yet seen a refund for the difference. All arrangements were made directly through Carnival.

We had to cancel last year for medical reasons. Once the Dr. completed his part of the Insurance forms and we sent them back to the insurance company, we received the refund in about 2 weeks. We received a partial refund from Carnival the day I canceled and the remainder from the insurance company.

A good PVP would have been helpful to you right now...

In my experience a refund takes about 6 weeks and a lot of phone calls.

• 1 year later...

Our Cruise was in May, yes it was cancelled. Carnival first said we would have our money back in 30 days. Then 60 days, then we would have it in 90 days. When we called, they said they did not know our money would be returned, but every one was working hard to return our money. When I was an officer in the military we had a saying, " Winners have solutions Looser's have excuses". We called the c c c ,they said that they have heard our problem 1 million times. We have 2 Years to put in  a dispute. Carnival did not play fair with me, nor did the travel agent . YES, put in a dispute, before they go bankrupt. To take advantage of a 100% disabled veteran  is not right.  Play fair we have made Carnival money. Remember, a credit dose you no good if they go bankrupt, or the virus comes back worse next year. CPT Joe 

Edited by CPT Joe
spelling

When we spoke to the Supervisor at Carnival, she told us there was no order to refund. First canceled didn't mean first to get refund. Feel vary lucky, hope you get your full refund. Mine is in my credit card account, on hold for 56 more days. But, it is in full amount paid. Thanks again.