Upgrades when booked through travel agent

ladybub101

Does it lower your chances of getting an upgrade when you are booked through an agent?

If your room is sold out (i.e. interior room for 5), are your chances higher of getting an upgrade?

And finally, if we wanted to call to check for an upgrade offer, would we need to go through the travel agent?

Thanks! :)

Does it lower your chances of getting an upgrade when you are booked through an agent?

If your room is sold out (i.e. interior room for 5), are your chances higher of getting an upgrade?

And finally, if we wanted to call to check for an upgrade offer, would we need to go through the travel agent?

Everything goes through your travel agent. You would need to contact her about paying for an upgrade.

Upgrades are few . Upsells will go thru your travel agent .Carnival will not contact you directly. The cruise line will not deal with you because your booked thru a travel agent.

Upgrades are few . Upsells will go thru your travel agent .Carnival will not contact you directly. The cruise line will not deal with you because your booked thru a travel agent.
We have a travel agent, but Carnival did contact us directly. Not sure if they also emailed our travel agent. We didn't want the upgrade, the cabin was in a non desirable location and we have our 2 boys next to us, so it wasn't like we could leave them. That was the first time we were ever given an upgrade offer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

1. It seems most upgrade offers I read about here were not booked through a TA. I wish some TAs who post here would respond to this question.

2. Not necessarily. It may be just the opposite. Probably an interior cabin for 2 is easier to sell.

3. If you booked through a TA, everything must go through that TA. If you are interested in paying to upgrade your accommodations, phone your TA to see what's available and at what current rates. Be sure to check to see if any promotional OBC will be lost if you upgrade.

There are some "big box TA's who do not pass along upsell offers to their clients or if they do there mailbox's may be so full that it takes them a few days to pass it along to you, in which case it may be too late to get.

I was a TA for 5 years as a part time independent contractor. I left the business in January. I sold quite a bit of Carnival and never once was I contacted about an upgrade or upsell for any of my clients. I never heard from any of my clients that Carnival had contacted them directly about an upgrade or upsell either. I would get these offers from other cruise lines but never Carnival.

I was a TA for 5 years as a part time independent contractor. I left the business in January. I sold quite a bit of Carnival and never once was I contacted about an upgrade or upsell for any of my clients. I never heard from any of my clients that Carnival had contacted them directly about an upgrade or upsell either. I would get these offers from other cruise lines but never Carnival.

Interesting. Thank you for posting.

We have a travel agent, but Carnival did contact us directly. Not sure if they also emailed our travel agent. We didn't want the upgrade, the cabin was in a non desirable location and we have our 2 boys next to us, so it wasn't like we could leave them. That was the first time we were ever given an upgrade offer.

This is interesting. Our TA has told us (and many folks here on CC over the years have validated) that the cruise line has to funnel all booking related communications (including upgrades/upsells) through the TA. Your comment is the second I've read on this board recently wherein Carnival contacted the client directly for an upgrade/upsell opportunity even though they booked through a TA. :confused:

This is interesting. Our TA has told us (and many folks here on CC over the years have validated) that the cruise line has to funnel all booking related communications (including upgrades/upsells) through the TA. Your comment is the second I've read on this board recently wherein Carnival contacted the client directly for an upgrade/upsell opportunity even though they booked through a TA. :confused:
Yes, I thought it was really weird. I also thought it had to go through your TA. My TA is a friend, next time we talk I will ask her if she ever got the email.

I used to book with a local TA before we moved. She called me several times with upsell offers she had gotten from Carnival for us. I never got any personally when I booked through her. Now I book on my own and have gotten emails a few times, and phone call today. Only took them up on one of them tho.

Make us the third. We booked six cabins on the Empress Deck on the Conquest in 2003 through a TA. While looking at our booking online, I noticed that our cabin number was different than what we had booked. I called our TA and she had no idea and said she would contact Carnival. She called me back and said that one of the original cabins was booked for three people and for some reason, Carnival changed that cabin to only a two person. Carnival called the first person in our group alphabetically and ask them if it was OK to move all six of the cabins up to the Panorama Deck. They said OK so they moved all of us for free. Good move on their part because now that's the only deck we'll sail on.

Edited by RWolver672

I called Carnival to order distilled water for my wife's CPAP on our upcoming cruise. After successfully ordering the water, the Fun Shops rep told me that my TA needed to call Carnival and inform them that we would be bring a CPAP on board. They wouldn't take my word for it!

We have all seen statments by frequent posters repeated more times than necessary, even when they are incorrect. That could lead one to believe a statement has been “validated” as we start to believe things when we read or hear them over and over.

I have booked through a TA and been contacted directly by the cruise line. I have also been able to contact the cruise line on some things. I don’t believe I am special or the only person that has experienced this.

It appears others are sharing the same experience. Guess the lesson is — beware of those posts that you see repeated multiple times as the gospel.

We have all seen statments by frequent posters repeated more times than necessary, even when they are incorrect. That could lead one to believe a statement has been “validated” as we start to believe things when we read or hear them over and over.

I have booked through a TA and been contacted directly by the cruise line. I have also been able to contact the cruise line on some things. I don’t believe I am special or the only person that has experienced this.

It appears others are sharing the same experience. Guess the lesson is — beware of those posts that you see repeated multiple times as the gospel.

Interesting take - by that logic I guess I should beware of multiple posts regarding the cruise line contacting customers directly who have booked through a TA?

I actually was relying more on my TA's word as the gospel with experiences on CC as some substantiation. The TA worked for many years for a very large, international travel company (you can guess the name) and now owns her own franchise business so I believe her when she says the cruise lines are supposed to work through the TA and not circumvent them by going directly to the customer.

Edited by joepeka