Warning - Be Careful at Sunset Beach

Cruisin Oma

This is a warning for anyone going to Sunset Beach. (Allthough it applies to any of us when we travel - we need to be aware of our surroundings and what is happening around us!)

On Wednesday, Jan. 4th our ship docked in Montego Bay, Jamaica. We have been to Jamaica in the past and since we had a large group (13) with several young adults and children, we decided to shell out the bucks for Sunset Beach.

I know a lot of people are not happy about the rate hikes there, but I would say our group definitely felt like we got our monies worth. We spent the entire day at the water park and the kids loved it.

However, after reading these boards, I was led to believe that a better lunch was offered in the restuarant, so we came prepared to change our clothes and eat lunch in the dining room.

A couple of minutes after I entered the bathroom, a man walked in. He reached over the door of the stall next to me and unlocked it. I assumed he was working on a clogged toilet, but thought it strange he didn't announce his entrance into the bathroom. As I was changing I caught him looking over the top of the wall between the stalls at me. Since Sunset Beach has a nude beach, I thought it strange that the man is looking over the walls, but figured after getting his one peak, he would stop looking. But I caught him looking again. At this point I am getting pissed. I've got a 23 year old daughter, and 25 year old daughter in law, and a 6 year old niece at this resort and this guy has just crossed the boundry from harmless peeping tom to pervert or attempting to be something worse. SO I started yelling for my husband who was waiting outside for me. The man jumped off the toilet he was standing on and starting grabbing the trash bins like he was emptying them, except he is dropping trash all over the floor.

We went to the dining room and I asked for a manager. I was first told that the manager was not there, but when I then described what had just happened, the girl gets on the phone and calls the hotel manager and states clearly - "Another women has been assaulted in the ladies room." My point here is that clearly this is not the first time something like this has happened.

The manager was very nice and extremely thorough. Both my husband and I agreed that while the man was pretending to pick up the trash, he was not wearing any of the uniforms we had seen any of the employees wearing. All though he took the time to bring an employee whose uniform most closely matched the colors, the man in the bathroom had on a gray T-shirt with no collar and dark jeans. Their employees clearly wear uniforms and have collars and name badges. The manager also spent quite a bit of time walking the resort with my husband to see if they spotted the man anywhere.

I really don't know what the man was after - my purse? I didn't have one, I just had a beach bag which was hanging from the door handle - much too low for him to grab from up there, but I guess if some women left it on the floor, he could have been trying to spot it from above to snake it under the wall. Or grab it from a higher hook?

Sunset Beach is not open to the public, but it is on the beach, so anyone can walk into the place from along the beach.

Regardless, take this as a lesson to always be aware of your surroundings. We went to Sunset Beach because we didn't want the kids exposed to the folks trying to sell their illegal drugs or just the pressure we have seen in the past from Jamaican vendors. I'm thankful it was myself and not one of my daughters or niece that this happened to.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH YOURSELVES AND YOUR CHILDREN!

Went to Sunset Beach Club last month while on a cruise for the exact same reason you did. Personally I wouldn't have even gotten off of the ship here but my daughter had never been to Jamaica. We too had a great day.

While asking for a Red Stripe beer and a coke for my daughter the bartender says liquid or powder. Even the bartenders in an all inclusive, what seemed to be well guarded resort you still are offered drugs. Didn't think too much of it til I heard your story Pat. "Another" place in Jamaica that I will no longer take my family.

Thanks for the warning. We went to Sunset Beach last February and are going back this March. We will keep going back, we enjoy it too much. But, as has been said, you need to be careful of your surroundings. This type of thing can happen any where.

Archived