wheelchair

cruisdog

My knees are in bad shape, and I was wondering how you would get a wheelchair at boarding to get up onto the ship? How would you get one to help me off the ship?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Contact the access desk. If you wait until you get to the port, they may not have enough which may require a prolonged wait.

In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call 1-866-584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com or have your travel agent contact us.

On a recent cruise with NCL Pearl, I was just recovering from knee replacement surgery. We went through the access desk and a wheelchair was waiting for me at the port. No charge, however, there was a person who wheeled me up the ramp and I did give him a tip for that service. I also prearranged to have a wheelchair at the airport and had assistance there. I also left him a tip for his service.

My knees are in bad shape, and I was wondering how you would get a wheelchair at boarding to get up onto the ship? How would you get one to help me off the ship?

While you can get a chair to help you embark and disembark, it will not be yours to keep for the cruise. The idea of bringing your own wheelchair is a smart one.

I would recommend a small scooter. My dad had some mobility, but told me that he would have used up all his "daily steps" just walking to the elevator for breakfast. We had to talk him into a scooter, but he never looked back after that. He'd rented one for that sailing, then went home and bought one.

They fit easily into the cabin for charging, and make your getting around so much easier!

We have the same problem. Well hubby more than me. He brings his walker, you will see a lot of them on the ship. We also contact the Assistance desk prior to sailing and they will have you on the list for a wheel chair to aid you up the ramp on embarkation day and off on debarkation day. It works great for us. Yes, and if you are really in need of help you can rent a scooter but they are not cheap and limit your mobility. For us this works just fine. Neither of us need a scooter by any means. For hubby the walker is the answer. BTW, which I think has been mentioned already we do tip the pusher as they are called. We use them in the airports as well. We just let the person working at the ticket counter know we will need them. They will handle it from there. A small tip is helpful. We have gotten in the habit of carrying a lot $5 with us when traveling.

If you decide to rent a scooter, I'd like to suggest you rent one at home beforehand & take the opportunity to practice with it. It's not uncommon to hear people complain about scooters. I personally think it's because people rent them without knowing how to use them and by the time they get the hang of it, the cruise is almost over! Some people do quite well with them while others never do & mow people down.

I have a friend who uses a scooter and she constantly runs into people & things! She was a very poor driver & although she's been using it for a few years now, she doesn't handle that scooter any better than she did a car!

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!!

If you decide to rent a scooter, I'd like to suggest you rent one at home beforehand & take the opportunity to practice with it. It's not uncommon to hear people complain about scooters. I personally think it's because people rent them without knowing how to use them and by the time they get the hang of it, the cruise is almost over! Some people do quite well with them while others never do & mow people down.

I have a friend who uses a scooter and she constantly runs into people & things! She was a very poor driver & although she's been using it for a few years now, she doesn't handle that scooter any better than she did a car!

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!!

Good advice and it made me smile at the same time. :')

I think that my problem is that I cannot stand for any length of time and the walk up to and off the ship is very taxing on my knees. I can probably manage walking on the ship ok.

Thanks for everyone's wise advise.

How much do you usually tip for the wheelchair. $5, $10 or $20?

I would recommend a small scooter. My dad had some mobility, but told me that he would have used up all his "daily steps" just walking to the elevator for breakfast. We had to talk him into a scooter, but he never looked back after that. He'd rented one for that sailing, then went home and bought one.

They fit easily into the cabin for charging, and make your getting around so much easier!

I find a power wheelchair much better than a scooter, more manouverable and take it right to your table.

I think that my problem is that I cannot stand for any length of time and the walk up to and off the ship is very taxing on my knees. I can probably manage walking on the ship ok.

I’m a non-tipper, but when I’ve used there chair to board I tip the poor person who has to push my bulk up the ramp, usually $10

that is just about us. I only need one for assistance getting on and off. As I mentioned hubby uses his walker on the ship. We usually tip $5.00. I don't think it would be necessary to tip anymore. I am sure they are happy with the extra $5. Think of how many times they do the pushing in a day and they are regular NCL employees.

You know my mother?? :')!!

:')