Facecloths!

MicroPilot

...waits for the first comment about facecloths not being hygienic to appear!

I've always wondered why they're rare in Europe. Is this the reason people give? I'm confused why a facecloth is any less hygienic than a towel. What's their logic? I'm also curious how people who don't use washcloths (or flannels or whatever we're calling them) apply soap to their bodies. If it's bar soap, how do they rub it in the right places without the bar getting totally gross, and if it's liquid soap, how do they not waste half of it when it slips through their fingers? Plus, rubbing it on your body with your hands doesn't exfoliate or scrub off dirt the way a cloth does. (Not trying to stir any pots. Just genuinely curious about the mechanics behind this!)

Edited by ashley@cruisecritic

I've always wondered why they're rare in Europe. Is this the reason people give? I'm confused why a facecloth is any less hygienic than a towel. What's their logic? (Not trying to stir any pots. Just genuinely curious.)

They are not any less hygienic of course.

Oops. So he did. I missed that, just saw comment about hotels. Apologies.
I agree with you though there have been a number of single figure posters who have asked questions then not had the decency of thanking people who have answered.

I've always wondered why they're rare in Europe. Is this the reason people give? I'm confused why a facecloth is any less hygienic than a towel. What's their logic? I'm also curious how people who don't use washcloths (or flannels or whatever we're calling them) apply soap to their bodies. If it's bar soap, how do they rub it in the right places without the bar getting totally gross, and if it's liquid soap, how do they not waste half of it when it slips through their fingers? Plus, rubbing it on your body with your hands doesn't exfoliate or scrub off dirt the way a cloth does. (Not trying to stir any pots. Just genuinely curious about the mechanics behind this!)
I use one of those round 'scubbers', about the size of a tennis ball. Ideal for use with shower lotion.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

We are British so they are flannels, Wash Cloths in the USA are used for a very different part of the body.

I suspect it's partly an age thing. I'm of the generation that not only calls them flannels but also refers to lorries rather than trucks and pushchairs rather then baby buggies.

I suspect it's partly an age thing. I'm of the generation that not only calls them flannels but also refers to lorries rather than trucks and pushchairs rather then baby buggies.
Mother in law is 96 and always called them facecloths.

Wash Cloths and flannel is more or less interchangeable. There is no definite age or regional demarkation. It varies from family to family. I myself has been known to use both terms.

Apart from wash cloths which is definitely USA.

Flannels, face cloths whatever, were really used for a "stand up wash".

Before the days of showers, en suite bathrooms in hotels, and a weekly bath was the norm, this was the standard way of washing yourself daily. You would fill the sink with soapy water, and use the flannel to wipe yourself clean.

Now we normally have a daily shower the need for flannels/face cloths is no more.

The need for flannels/face cloths is no more.

There must be a use as most supermarkets still sell them in a range of colours £1 for two of them.

If there is no use, do you think the supermarkets "are trying to flannel us" (old saying) :);)

There must be a use as most supermarkets still sell them in a range of colours £1 for two of them.

If there is no use, do you think the supermarkets "are trying to flannel us" (old saying) :);)

Somebody must be buying them if the supermarket is selling them. It certainly isn't me 😋

I'm still got the ones I was given for my kids when they were born.