?'s about NE and Canada and a smaller ship

My husband and I just got off the Oasis with our 17yo daughter and her friend. We had a wonderful time but are thinking since she will be away at college next fall that we don't need to book a "Caribbean/big/newer" cruise. My husband has been wanting to visit the NE/Canada and since he knows I love cruising he suggested I find one for just us. He doesn't love cruising like I do, so I try to book things that make him enjoy it more. I am thinking September 2019 and maybe the Serenade of the Seas

First, on Oasis I booked a junior suite to avoid waits at on embarkation, but do the smaller ships not offer that?

Second, I booked the UDP, because he isn't a fan of the main dining room, is that possible on a smaller ship?

Third, more for me, but how are the seas? Are they more rough up that way in the Fall?

I also see the Anthem does a good itinerary, which would put us back on a big ship, but he thought staying in Boston for a few days might nicer then NY.

I know this is a RCL board, but we are up for any suggestions.

I sailed the NE/Canada itinerary on the Serenade and it was wonderful.

Availability of the Ultimate Dining package is not related to the size of the ship. Most cruises will offer it but there are no absolute guarantees.

We have not encountered rough seas on any of our NE/Canada voyages. Anything is possible of course.

Embarkation is rarely a problem. Everyone gets on. 😉

I asked about the UDP, because I wasn't sure there were multiple specialty restaurants, looking at CC ship review it only mentions chops, but looking at the deck plan, I think there are a few more.

I feel the same way about everyone getting on the ship, but since he's not a fan of lines I try to avoid them so he doesn't try to persuade me that we can do other things beside cruise :)

I asked about the UDP, because I wasn't sure there were multiple specialty restaurants, looking at CC ship review it only mentions chops, but looking at the deck plan, I think there are a few more.

I feel the same way about everyone getting on the ship, but since he's not a fan of lines I try to avoid them so he doesn't try to persuade me that we can do other things beside cruise :)

Serenade has Chops, Giovanni's Table, and Izumi. Not sure if Rita's is still operational.

I’ve sailed Radiance class ships several times and never had any issues with seas being a problem. I’m also booked on the Serenade this September but on the alternate week when it sails to Bermuda.

As noted earlier embarkation isn’t usually a problem, and there are Chops, and Giovanni’s on board (Chefs table also but like Izumi not fully covered with UDP).

FWIW I love the Radiance class, and hope you have a great time!

We've done both from Boston and New York, (Brilliance instead of Serenade, but same thing). There is a lot more stuff to do on the Anthem- like seeing some of New England or Canada from the North Star is pretty neat, and the night shows are more on the Anthem, too.

If you stay in Jersey City, getting to Manhattan is really easy (PATH train), so the option of Boston or New York is really a toss up. We love Boston, too- as we have family there.

The itineraries are identical, and are more port intensive, so your husband will not have as much time of the cruising that he does not like.

Fall is fall- weather is impossible to predict- we've been to ports there when it was 50 and sunny, 70 and cloudy, and 90 and super hot. All in September. For the most part, the seas have been more calm than rough- so that's good.

But the hard part is if you want to visit New York or Boston. And that's a hard decision for us, too.

We sailed the New England/Canada itinerary last fall out of Boston. We stayed in Boston 3 days and had a fabulous time and used the T to get everywhere. The Serenade is much smaller but we were sailing for the ports and not the ship. We also enjoy the MDR so that is not an issue with us. The excursions in each port were wonderful. Every tour guide was fantastic - highly knowledgable and entertaining. I don't remember movement of the ship being a problem. We are diamond plus and enjoyed the concierge's lounge. We also enjoyed the entertainment It was one of our favorite cruises

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I did the NE/Canada route on Anthem but I think it depends on your style of cruising as to whether you'd enjoy a smaller ship just as much. The itinerary is great and the ports are cool. Was fun going somewhere other than the Caribbean for me. Personally, I like the large ships because I like the options available but in reality I don't do shows and I don't need water slides, flow riders, bumper cars etc.... everything I did on the Anthem I could've done on a smaller ship (save going up in the North Star). I don't feel like it would've lessened my experience at all to have been on a smaller ship. Of course, everyone cruises differently.

As for the seas, I went expecting it was going to be rough. But we had by far the smoothest sailing I've ever been on.

I sailed on the Serenade NE/Canada itinerary last fall and LOVED it! Embarkation was so quick and easy, even though I was only a Gold member with an interior room. It was raining during our Bar Harbor port day, so the tender ride was a little choppy. But I don't recall noticing it aboard the Serenade.

I found Serenade to be a comfortable size, considering the shorter itinerary and the fact that I was traveling solo for that one. I stuck with MDR and Windjammer, and ate great. There are a few specialty restaurants on the ship, if that's more your style.

Would you recommend the Adventure over the Serenade?

Apples and Oranges. Can't go wrong with either. Serenade if you want a view outside from virtually every public venue. Adventure if you want the Flowrider.

You can also do Canada/NE from Cape Liberty on Celebrity Summit. Smaller size than Anthem with less passengers. We did this last fall on Summit and loved it. If you are Crown & Anchor you will get reciprocal Captain's Club benefits on Celebrity and vice versa.

We did the Vision last October from Cape Liberty (Newark) to Quebec. As there are few balconies we took a oceanview cabin instead of our usual balcony. It was a very interesting cruise with lots of historic ports in New England.

In Quebec, you get an overnight on the ship, so you arrive one day, have the whole day in a wonderful port and can have dinner in the city and get back to the ship whenever. You actually leave the ship the next day. We had a package deal that included the next two nights in a nice city hotel and then flew home to Florida.

It was a terrific non-Caribbean trip. We had outstanding weather and calm seas. Not a lot of color on the trees until we got to the Canadian ports.

Not only would I recommend this cruise, but I would do it again.

We loved the Fall Foliage Quebec City to NewYork on Vision . We enjoyed the smaller ship . First the cruise is port intensive with beautiful ports in Canada etc and New England . We do not need the bells and whistles . Kids are in school. Enough speciality restaurants. Love Izumi . Chefs Table had private intimate dining room .

I would recommend the Serenade over the Adventure if light and glass views outside are appealing to you. The Adventure class has the "mall" running through the middle and no outside views.....we took the Serenade to Alaska and would do it again on that class vessel. Even an elevator in glass top to bottom on ship on the starboard side I believe......wonderful.