Pools....salt water or CHLORINATED water?

Pier290

Just a note: ship pools that are "salt" water are chlorinated just as many home pools that are salt water are chlorinated. In salt water pools, the natural process of electrolysis turns the salt into chlorine.

Ship salt water pools are different than your home or condo "salt water pool". Your home salt water pool is using salt to create chlorine. It ends up with a lower amount for a chemistry reason I don't understand but still smells and feels like a pool though better than others.

On cruise ships that use salt water they take sea water and put it in their pools. It feels like swimming in the ocean. I understand if they are in port and can't circulate it with fresh ocean or sea water they need to start to add chlorine but maybe this is a US only regulation as on Med cruises with salt water pools I have been on I never smelled any chlorine.

• Like 1

What we found fascinating was a recent discussion (somewhere on CC) about how it is not necessary to add chlorine to salt water pools. It is possible to simply convert some of the salt water to chlorine (a process similar to electrolysis) which saves having to manually add chemicals. For some strange reason we find those chlorinated systems less bothersome when we are in the water....then pools where they simply dump-in chlorinated salts (which burn my eyes).

Hank

Used the Jungle Pool a lot during our cruise last May. I was using goggles when swimming so it didn't bothered my eyes but I noticed my black underpants faded (compared to the ones I didn't use in the pool) a bit after not rinsing them thoroughly. This makes me think that there might be some kind of chemical (bleaching agent perhaps) used to produce the salt water.

• 3 years later...