Embarkation/Disembarkation on the Sapphire

Winegirl from CA

I am getting ready to book my airfare, and am wondering what is the earliest/latest you can arrive to the ship, and also, what time does the ship get back into port? What would be a safe time for me to schedule my air OUT of LA? Oh, and do you know if it is LAX we need to fly into/out of? Thank you!

I am getting ready to book my airfare, and am wondering what is the earliest/latest you can arrive to the ship, and also, what time does the ship get back into port? What would be a safe time for me to schedule my air OUT of LA? Oh, and do you know if it is LAX we need to fly into/out of? Thank you!

Look at LGB

A group of us from the Jersey & Philly area sailed on the Sapphire back in November. Embarkation was fast and easy. We were on board ship within an hour of arriving at San Pedro. Disembarkation was quick and easy too. Our group was one of the last to be allowed off Ship, but the whole process took about 1/2 hour. We were off the Ship and thru customs by 10:00 am The problem we ran into was our bus transportation from San Pedro to LAX. But everything worked out fine.

The earliest you should schedule a flight out of LAX would be 12:00 Noon or 12:30PM. Yes, you will most likely be there early but there are so many variables that could make you late that it's better to be early than too late. The ship could be delayed getting in or getting clearance to disembark; there could be a lot of traffic getting to the airport; there could be very long lines checking in or going through security; etc. Each of these could mean a difference of 30 minutes to an hour, or more, and you can't predict whether there'll be delays in advance.

If you fly into Long Beach, it's a shorter drive but there are fewer direct flights, fewer airlines, and your flight options could be limited and/or more expensive than flying into LAX.

Disembarking from the Sapphire just over a week ago, it took us only 20 minutes to get from the port to LAX on New Year's Eve. Not all transfers are that fast.

I believe they're just to LAX. We used them for our recent Sapphire Princess cruise and it worked out very well. You can also use shuttle services, such as Prime Time Shuttle or Super Shuttle, which are about 60% the cost of Princess transfers and, I'm pretty sure, will go to Long Beach. You can check 'em out on the Web.

http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/

http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/lax.htm

Regarding disembarkation, do they go by room or deck at all? DW and I are Emerald (aft) and have a 12:43 flight out of LAX.

My thoughts are to grab a cab to LAX. We fly into LGB the day before we sail.

Also, was it warm enough to enjoy the deck/pools the first sea day (Sun)?

Thanks.

Regarding disembarkation, do they go by room or deck at all? DW and I are Emerald (aft) and have a 12:43 flight out of LAX.
They do flight times first. In your case, make sure you have a Red disembarkation tag. We had a 12:30PM flight and were given Red 4. We disembarked by 8:30AM and were on our way to the airport by 9:30AM.

My thoughts are to grab a cab to LAX. We fly into LGB the day before we sail.
You could grab a cab but why worry or depend on another couple to share the cab unless you're travelling with them. I'd take the shuttle. It's about $18/pp.

Also, was it warm enough to enjoy the deck/pools the first sea day (Sun)?
Not really but it'll depend on the weather. It was not warm enough (once the ship sailed) from Saturday evening until Monday morning. Returning, it was too cold to use our balcony on Friday and the only people in the pools were kids. By too cold, it was probably upper 50s -- 60 degrees at most. The water off the coast of Southern CA is pretty cool so no matter when you sail out of San Pedro, it'll be about 10 degrees cooler on the water than on land. Keep in mind that the ship is sailing at about 20 knots which creates a wind chill so that it might be 70 degrees but with the movement, it'll be a lot cooler.

Here's the results of my research on airport/pier transportation. No promises this is exact or perfect. We're planning to fly into Long Beach since it's a cheap, direct flight from here.

Princess transfer: $50 round-trip per person, but only from LAX. I'm not sure if this is a bus or van or what??

Supershuttle: $34 each way for 2 people from Long Beach airport to pier.

Primetime Shuttle: Shared van is $33 each way for 2 people from Long Beach airport to pier. A private car from GoSedan is $65 each way for 2 people, price includes 15% gratuity.

Karmel Shuttle: Shared van is $34 each way for two people from Long Beach airport to pier. Towncar is $53 each way for 2 people. I would want to call to double-check the price or make reservations -- I found their website very confusing.

Yellow Cab: $36 each way from Long Beach airport to pier (this is information from another thread on this site - taking that person's word for it)

Not really but it'll depend on the weather. It was not warm enough (once the ship sailed) from Saturday evening until Monday morning. Returning, it was too cold to use our balcony on Friday and the only people in the pools were kids. By too cold, it was probably upper 50s -- 60 degrees at most. The water off the coast of Southern CA is pretty cool so no matter when you sail out of San Pedro, it'll be about 10 degrees cooler on the water than on land. Keep in mind that the ship is sailing at about 20 knots which creates a wind chill so that it might be 70 degrees but with the movement, it'll be a lot cooler.

Thanks. That is what I thought but I don't want to face reality.

Around what time would be the latest to disembark if we don't have a flight to catch? Just wondering in case we get family to pick us up.

We were staying in town for the day when I sailed in December, so we were scheduled in the last debarkation group. The scheduled time was 11:30AM, but they ended up about a half hour ahead of schedule.

Near the end of the cruise they will ask you about your travel plans (if not alreay known). They will then issue color-coded luggage tags that give preference to earlier flights with those departing by car, etc. going later. However, generally it goes pretty quickly so unless you try to book something really early you should have no problem.

Another alternative most ships now offer is "carry your own bags". If you can, or want, to do that you can generally get off as soon as immigration has cleared the ship. Pack light !!

No the ship doesn't stay on California time, it goes to Mountain time but all the stops in Mexico are on Central time. Go figure that. So you only change your clock ahead 1 hour and then back one hour. But make sure if you're doing any independent excursions what time they are telling you ship or local. We had booked a private sailboat in P.V. and we're suppose to be there at 9:15 but since the ship only changed their clock one hour we had to be off the ship at 8:15 to make the local time of 9:15. If you have ship excursions, you just go at the time your ship ticket says.

Susan :)

So, that would mean the ship stays on California time all week? Good, I hate when they moved the clocks on a cruise.
No, you'll be on local time which is an hour behind Pacific Time :( You'll lose an hour overnight your 2nd night so that you're on local time in Mexico; you'll gain it back the night after leaving Cabo.

No the ship doesn't stay on California time, it goes to Mountain time but all the stops in Mexico are on Central time. Go figure that. So you only change your clock ahead 1 hour and then back one hour. But make sure if you're doing any independent excursions what time they are telling you ship or local. We had booked a private sailboat in P.V. and we're suppose to be there at 9:15 but since the ship only changed their clock one hour we had to be off the ship at 8:15 to make the local time of 9:15. If you have ship excursions, you just go at the time your ship ticket says.

Susan :)

Only PV is on Central time, the rest are on Mountain time.

Around what time would be the latest to disembark if we don't have a flight to catch? Just wondering in case we get family to pick us up.

Depending on what floor your cabin is, you will disembark according to your cabin location. People with earlier flights will disembark first, then they start from forward Aloha deck then goes down to Plaza deck. Plaza deck normally disembark around 10:30-10:45 if everything goes by the scheduled time. On our cruise, everything was delayed 1/2 hour from the first announcement for disembarkation.

Figure in 1/2 hour for immigration and getting out of the terminal. Since you can't use the cell phone once you step out of the ship onto the customs terminal, it's easier to call the person who is picking you up as you are getting off the ship.

BTW, San Pedro port is off Hwy110, about 20 minutes from the 405 interchange.

HTH.

Archived