Send luggage to hotel so it arrives before you fly into cruise port?

Tim-n-Gina

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

Is "shipping" cheaper than checking bags on the flight?  

I see no one has answered you.  No it isn't.  You have to put into the mix, your personal budget, can you afford it;  how much do you value your piece of mind; where is it being shipped to, i.e. is the port in your own country or overseas.  

I'm doing a 49 night/day cruise so I know I will not be able to do a carryon only.  I have priced out, Luggage Forward.  (There are two other companies that will also ship your luggage from home/office to your ship) What you decide to do is based on your "pocketbook" and piece of mind and peace of mind.  

Hope this is helpful

Ramona

23 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

The amount of luggage you carry with you is great … for YOU.  As pointed out, for longer cruises that does NOT work for everyone, depends on what you're doing and what you need to do it!!  Many people (myself included) do not want to do a lot of hand washing in the sink.  We have free laundry on more than one cruise line, but prefer to keep the hand washing to a minimum.  

I just realized you said that you "check the carry-ons" … so … they're not carry ons??  Or do you check them at the gate?  

They are what most people refer to as carry-ones, meaning that they fit the airline definition of what fits under the seat or overhead. We check them (at no cost) so that we don’t have the extra hassle.

Much of my early travel as an adult was on extended hikes or expeditions. Clean socks can be the difference between blisters or not, frostbite or not, and I quickly learned that a simple hand wash is easy and effective.

19 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Sure glad that works for you, but no way DW could survive for 4 months with less than 2 -3 cases.

Not all cruise lines bribe pax with loyalty perks. Our preferred Line is one of them, but it does provide free self-service laundry. They also include free shipping of 2 cases from home direct to the ship and business class air, which provides comp checked baggage.

So no washing clothes in the sink for us. We will take 4 cases for our 4 month cruise.

Different strokes...

I opt for simplicity. We are just back from a four-day trip to visit friends and help them celebrate a 50th wedding anniversary including a somewhat formal dinner party.  I drove, plenty of space in the trunk (boot). I hauled out a larger suitcase to use, packed way more than I would need, and still it was half empty. I unpacked, put everything into my usual carry-on size bag. With one overflow item: my dress shoes to go with my good suit. Those don’t usually travel with me on cruises.

With what I had with me, I could have easily extended the visit by many days. But I needed to get back home to pack for my upcoming 🚢 cruise 🚢 (I.e., a b2b). 

Bottom line is that there is no right answer, we all have our own ways of coping with the inconveniences of travel. My goal is to minimize any hassle that might interfere in any way with my full attention to the task of enjoying myself on the cruise. Your goal is probably similar, you and I just have different methods for addressing the travel part...