First Smartphone

drumming cruisers

Just got 1st smartphone iPhone 6s. Do I need to adjust settings for cruise from NY to Canada, so I can receive send texts, post photos etc.?

The very FIRST thing you need to do is to make sure your mobile phone plan is provisioned with some kind of international call and data coverage or it could be very expensive.

I made the mistake of turning roaming on while onboard, it logged onto the ships marine cell and racked up huge bills while I slept, I woke to lots of text messages warning me about the bill I was racking up, fortunately I had a billing cap which stopped it going to far.

From my experience, I can only say dont turn on roaming while on board ship, I had no idea the ship had it's own cell tower that charges extortionate rates. I was in Europe and was expecting it to log into local cells that would all have been free!

Just got 1st smartphone iPhone 6s. Do I need to adjust settings for cruise from NY to Canada, so I can receive send texts, post photos etc.?

Doing anything with your phone on the ship will cost thousands of dollars. In your Cellular setting, you should set roaming to off.

IF you sign up for an international plan with your phone carrier, you may turn on your phone while in Canadian ports, but don't forget to turn it back to NO ROAMING when you are on the ship (otherwise you'll get that thousand dollar bill).

You could purchase an internet package on the ship (about $105 for 7 days).

I've had a smart phone since 2013. I always keep my phone on airplane mode during the cruise to keep from getting texts and calls, but I'm still able to take pictures with my phone. I only take it off airplane mode briefly (only in certain ports where I know what my roaming rate is) to make a quick call or two to folks back home. Then I put it back on airplane mode. I've never gotten any surprise charges.