Viking to Sydney

imcpa

My wife & I will be on Viking (for the first time) visiting NZ & Australia (also for the first time), ending in Sydney. I am hoping some of the kind people on this board can assist with a question we have...

Our last night of the cruise is in port in Sydney, so I assume there are no issues disembarking on the last morning. We plan to go straight to the airport to fly to Cairns. The flight times are 9am or 2pm. I assume we should not risk missing a 9am flight (especially since we are not morning people), but if we have a 2p flight, what do we do in Sydney before heading to the airport?

We're on that cruise too on the 30 December sailing from Auckland. Which date are you going on?

We've been to Sydney a couple of times as our daughter has moved there. Why rush on your last morning on the ship, you could spend a good couple of hours just strolling around the harbour, the Rocks area or along to the Botanical Gardens or the beautiful Art Gallery of New South Wales.

There's a train from Circular Key to the airport (18mins), which will be far quicker than a cab.

I'm so excited to take a break from a British winter!

I believe your cruise may dock at the White Bay Passenger terminal, which is to the West of the Bridge.

It is a fair distance from the OPT in the Circular Quay area. If going from White Bay to the airport I would use a Limo service. We used Omnicar our last trips to Sydney and found they provide excellent service at reasonable prices.

hello imcpa ... we are also on the 30 Dec sailing from Auckland. We previously lived in Sydney. Disembarkation day in Sydney will be a Sunday so the traffic will be somewhat better than Mon - Fri (when it is a nightmare) so Heidi13's suggestion about a limo is a good one. I am a bit disappointed that we will not be berthed at Circular Quay .. so assuming we will be berthed at White Bay Heidi13 is correct, it is quite a way back to Circular Quay to catch the airport train ... BeeD is correct that the train is a good option if we berth at Circular Quay - but that seems not to be the case.

We are staying an extra night in Sydney (in the Rocks area) so will go there after disembarkation. A water taxi from White Bay to the Rocks might be an option for us. The problem for you may be ... what to do with your luggage while you do some sightseeing ?

That issue aside, rest assured there is plenty to do in and around Sydney harbour - assuming you are happy to go there from White Bay. BeeD's suggestions are spot on - and you can also catch the ferry across the harbour from Circular Quay to Manly for just a few dollars return (if the weather is good it is a very enjoyable experience). Sydney is one of the world's great harbours, so anything on / around the harbour is always a good choice.

Of course if your flight is at 2pm you would probably want to be at the airport by say 12.30pm which means you really only have say 3 hours from disembarkation till you need to depart for the airport.

My Viking Journey tells me it is just 114 days till departure - and the Shore Excursions seem to have been loaded into the system (although it is too early to book them).

Best wishes to all with your planning, see you on board.

Edited by Little Monty
error

Thanks for the replies. We are on the Dec. 30 sailing. We have grand plans for after the cruise travelling to Cairns, Melbourne (for the AO) then back to Sydney to fly back to the US. After visiting the AO, we will only have the FO to go to have hit all four grand slams.

Fed fan.

My husband and I are on this Dec 30 sailing as well. Going to GBR excursion also. Any one have suggestions for a hotel in Sydney near the airport ? We return from Cairns on Jan 16 and are flying out the next day back to Washington DC. and would like to be near airport for ease of departure. Looking forward to meeting new friends!:cool:

When we docked in White Bay on Viking Sun WC, Viking set up water taxi service to Circular Quay. From that landing it is a very short walk around to the train station to the airport. Lots of passengers pulling rollaboards on the Quay. We did get moved to CQ for one evening then back to White Bay. Really appreciated the trouble to move berths as many of us went to the Sydney Opera House that evening. I agree Sydney is one of the world's best harbors. Would love to return some day.

hello imcpa ... we are also on the 30 Dec sailing from Auckland. We previously lived in Sydney. Disembarkation day in Sydney will be a Sunday so the traffic will be somewhat better than Mon - Fri (when it is a nightmare) so Heidi13's suggestion about a limo is a good one. I am a bit disappointed that we will not be berthed at Circular Quay .. so assuming we will be berthed at White Bay Heidi13 is correct, it is quite a way back to Circular Quay to catch the airport train ... BeeD is correct that the train is a good option if we berth at Circular Quay - but that seems not to be the case.

We are staying an extra night in Sydney (in the Rocks area) so will go there after disembarkation. A water taxi from White Bay to the Rocks might be an option for us. The problem for you may be ... what to do with your luggage while you do some sightseeing ?

That issue aside, rest assured there is plenty to do in and around Sydney harbour - assuming you are happy to go there from White Bay. BeeD's suggestions are spot on - and you can also catch the ferry across the harbour from Circular Quay to Manly for just a few dollars return (if the weather is good it is a very enjoyable experience). Sydney is one of the world's great harbours, so anything on / around the harbour is always a good choice.

Of course if your flight is at 2pm you would probably want to be at the airport by say 12.30pm which means you really only have say 3 hours from disembarkation till you need to depart for the airport.

My Viking Journey tells me it is just 114 days till departure - and the Shore Excursions seem to have been loaded into the system (although it is too early to book them).

Best wishes to all with your planning, see you on board.

We are also on for Dec. 30. I was sad to see that the Sydney Majestic Blue Mountain excursion is not on through Viking, and we were so looking forward to that. I'm thinking there must be a reliable to get to another tour...just hard not knowing which company would provide the best tour.

My husband and I are on this Dec 30 sailing as well. Going to GBR excursion also. Any one have suggestions for a hotel in Sydney near the airport ? We return from Cairns on Jan 16 and are flying out the next day back to Washington DC. and would like to be near airport for ease of departure. Looking forward to meeting new friends!:cool:

After our WC we stayed at the hotel at the International Departures - if memory is correct it could be Rydgers. They have a couple of cheaper options on the approach to the airport.

The airport hotel was more expensive, but it was comfortable and definitely convenient, as we checked out and headed to the Qantas Business Lounge before our flight.

hello Jad. As suggested by Heidi13 - Rydges Sydney Airport Hotel is perfect if you just want to stopover close to the airport (it is inside the airport boundary and is literally 2 minutes walk to the front door of the international terminal). We have stayed there twice and can recommend it.

Just be aware it is nowhere near the city / the harbour and there is nothing much to see (unless you like watching flights arrive and depart). If you prefer to stay in the city / Circular Quay area we can recommend the Holiday Inn Old Sydney Town (mid range, walking distance to Circular Quay, Opera House etc). This is however some distance from the airport.

G'day again Jim - good to know Viking set up the water taxi for the World Cruise and hopefully they will repeat this as it is a much more pleasant journey by water than by road. Also good to know you may visit us again one day.

hello Sunflower ... Sydney to Blue Mountains and return in an afternoon would not be very enjoyable. By the time you disembark and get out through western Sydney and into the mountains area it would be time to go back to the ship. It is a lovely area but I am not sure a rushed trip would be worthwhile. I had a quick look at Viator and their Blue Mountain tours are all-day affairs. Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy Sydney.

hello imcpa ... you are going to be busy. I'm sure you already know, but do remember Cairns in January will be hot and humid. If you are accustomed to this weather no problems, if not I encourage you to be prepared. Melbourne Park (for the tennis) is a comfortable walk from the centre of Melbourne and should be a great experience.

Regards to all.