Billy Bones, Random Wind, Soualiga? Help!

FirstAnthem

We are cruising in February and stop in St Maarten. I’m trying to decide between these three boat charters for our excursion. I’ve read mostly great reviews for all three, so I’m looking for anyone’s opinion if you’ve taken any of these charters and what your experience was. Thank you!

We are cruising in February and stop in St Maarten. I’m trying to decide between these three boat charters for our excursion. I’ve read mostly great reviews for all three, so I’m looking for anyone’s opinion if you’ve taken any of these charters and what your experience was. Thank you!

You may also want to check out the port of call forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93, and TripAdvisor.

You may also want to check out the port of call forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93, and TripAdvisor.

Hi! Yes I did post this in the port of call forum, but in my experience I get very few replies when I post in those forums. I’ve read reviews for all of them on Trip Advisor, but just wanted to see if anyone on here had any recent experience with any of them before we make our decision. :)

If either of you are interested in joining your informal roll calls for the Oasis in February, click on the site below, and meet some of your fellow cruisers, who will be on board the Oasis in February, the same week as you!! Click on the site below, find your specific cruise week, and then join the discussion!!;) CHEERS!!:cool:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=549

We had an absolutely amazing experience with Soualiga 2 years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. Can’t speak to the others.

Relaxed time with an extremely friendly and flexible captain. Did a beach stop at an amazing beach that had no other visitors yet that day and snorkeled with sea turtles and had a nice lunch at a restaurant on the beach. Decent snorkeling afterwards with just us at the small reef and then some swimming near the airport waiting for planes. It was kid friendly and they had a cooler full of drinks beer/soda waiting for you. 5-10 minute walk from the pier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked with Billy Bones for our cruise this past June. We ended up being the only group (4 of us) that booked a half day snorkeling adventure so he had us go out with Coconut Reef on their boat Garfield Too. We ended up the only family on the boat! We had an amazing trip and have nothing but wonderful things to say about them. The owner himself, Craig, was our tour guide and was wonderful with our two kids (first time snorkeling) and was super friendly and knowledgeable about everything on the island. We enjoyed it so much my husband and I are touring with Coconut Reef again in December while on our adults only cruise.

We've done both Soualiga Destinations and Random Wind and loved both. I would give Soualiga the edge because you get to see a lot more. Also, my understanding is that the new sailboat Random Wind acquired after last year's hurricane doesn't have a Tarzan swing, and that was part of the draw for us. Sooo much fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The new Random Wind has the Tarzan Swing. We sailed on the old Random WInd (the monohull) many times and always had a great time. Have not been on the new boat, yet. I think that, in general, a daysail on the Random Wind would be more relaxed, less distance covered, less bouncing around than on the power boats of Soualiga or Billy Bones.

As between Random Wind and Soualiga, I have to say that I find Di more attractive than Bob - but neither are likely to be on board for your particular daysail, in any event. Both Di and Bob are usually very responsive to email inquiries, so if you have questions about either, just ask them.

We are going to St. Maarten in December and I was looking the same as you. While Soualiga would have been my first choice the timing would not work for me getting back to the dock at 4:00 with an all aboard at 4:30 so I was leaning towards Billy Bones but will now also consider Coconut Reef.