Best way to tour Rome, pre-cruise, from airport hotel. (moderate costs)

Wishing on a star

I know that all of this has been discussed many many times!!!

But hoping to get some specific info, for Rome, pre-cruise.

I believe we will start a small group, thru Rome in Limo, for Naples.

And, will use PKtours in Greece.

We are unsure on how would be best to tour Rome, before cruising.

Without totally overdoing any budget... Or taking a larger group tour, with over a dozen other guests... It seems to be either a professional driver - plus hiring a guide, or a professional tour guide company, and taxi to the sites.

Rome in Limo is $$$$, and this is before adding guides for The colosseum and Vatican (Sistine Chapel).

I am also seeing a tour guide company which offers some really nice sounding tours, guaranteed.early entry, etc..

But they offer the guided tours, with no driver.

Would it be advisable, for a first visit to Italy, do not speak Italian, to Taxi to these sites and meet the guided tours at the meeting point just outside, before entry?

I am thinking, if necessary, we can see the main tourist area in central Rove, Trevi etc... on our own.

Either the afternoon after arrival, or preferably the morning before transfer to the cruise ship.

We truly appreciate any good insight!

If you read around, yes, discussed many times.

You really don't need a guide, except for perhaps the Vatican. I would (and have) train into town, and walk the Colosseum and Forum, Trevi and Pantheon. On your second day, train to Vatican. Join one of the offered tours. Pretty inexpensive.

You absolutely don't need to speak Italian.

You do not need to speak Italian for what you're planning. If taking a taxi, some find it helpful to have the specific address written out (check ahead of time with the tour company). However, taking a taxi back and forth from the airport hotels is not going to be very cost effective either.

I would suggest that you would really enhance your visit to Rome by staying in a hotel in the central historic area. A private transfer to Civitavecchia is going to cost the same whether it's from Rome itself or from the airport. And you can better enjoy the evening hours in Rome, not out at the airport....

The driver agencies are great for when a long transfer and touring are needed (e.g., a port day from Civitavecchia to Rome and back) but IMO you don't need one when staying in Rome. Spend the money on a good tour rather than on the transportation.

Thanks!I might look further into that tour company.

The early morning 'first entry' to the Vatican and Sistine Chapel sound really really nice. But, would have to be there VERY early!

Enjoying Rome into the evening would be nice, if we were younger and more adventurous. But, unfortunately, late hours are a thing of the past, and especially with the jet lag!!! OMG!!!

With physical/stamina limitations, as well as limited time and budget... the least demanding and stressful way to enjoy the highlights is a priority.

With physical/stamina limitations, as well as limited time and budget... the least demanding and stressful way to enjoy the highlights is a priority.

I don't see how being at the airport hotel versus a hotel in Rome would be any more demanding and stressful, in fact it would be less so. A quick 30-minute taxi ride from the airport and you are there, in Rome! With your hotel nearby you could go back for a rest mid-afternoon in order to enjoy your dinner. Or you could get an earlier start the next morning, seeing Trevi Fountain or the Pantheon before the crowds arrive (and before you go to the port). The ride to the port is the same cost/same distance either way.

Hey, Cabnluvn..

Was this recently? Do you remember where the shuttle drops off.

Or does it have more than one drop-off stop?

I believe it was at the Piazza Venezia, but I can’t be sure. I think if you emailed them, they would tell you. I remember that the pick up point was different. Both were central to sightseeing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In 2015 Our flight back to Boston was in the afternoon and didn’t want to spend the afternoon before and the next morning at the airport or worry about taking a shuttle to Rome so I booked THE DHARMA HOTEL. http://www.dharmahotel.it a very small very modern boutique hotel in a good location. (Lobby on the 5th Floor) within walking distance from Rome Termini train station and Piazza della Republica with breakfast included. They provided a ride to the airport for 3 of us for a reasonable fee.

I know that all of this has been discussed many many times!!!

But hoping to get some specific info, for Rome, pre-cruise.

I believe we will start a small group, thru Rome in Limo, for Naples.

And, will use PKtours in Greece.

We are unsure on how would be best to tour Rome, before cruising.

Without totally overdoing any budget... Or taking a larger group tour, with over a dozen other guests... It seems to be either a professional driver - plus hiring a guide, or a professional tour guide company, and taxi to the sites.

Rome in Limo is $$$$, and this is before adding guides for The colosseum and Vatican (Sistine Chapel).

I am also seeing a tour guide company which offers some really nice sounding tours, guaranteed.early entry, etc..

But they offer the guided tours, with no driver.

Would it be advisable, for a first visit to Italy, do not speak Italian, to Taxi to these sites and meet the guided tours at the meeting point just outside, before entry?

I am thinking, if necessary, we can see the main tourist area in central Rove, Trevi etc... on our own.

Either the afternoon after arrival, or preferably the morning before transfer to the cruise ship.

We truly appreciate any good insight!

Have you thought about taking the hop on / hop off bus - you get to see all the sights, it's not too strenuous - they will have the headphones with English speaking and it's very reasonable cost.