Dubai question for Anne (Jayayeff)

sddsddean

2 hours ago, sddsddean said:

We were in Dubai last Christmas and used Big Bus on a 5 day ticket and we were very pleased with them. So you know, Big Bus will be at the cruise terminal when you dock in Dubai. Unless they have changedĀ how they do it, they run a shuttle from the terminal to Wafi mall (stop 9 on the red route). According to what you want to do, you can either do the red or change to green at stop 10 (Dubai mall). We never got round to doing the night tour in our 6 days there, but be aware it doesnā€™t stop anywhere and starts around 1930, so could be pushing time to get back to the ship.

Ā 

Simon

Ā 

Thanks Simon. Ā I was hoping either yourself or someone who had used the hoho buses during their visit would step in. Ā I was aware that when cruise ships are in port the Big BusĀ had a link bus from the terminal to the main route, and several other cruise lines provide shuttles to Dubai Mall so the buses could be picked up from there (both City Sightseeing and the Big Bus). Ā Whilst I see the buses around, havingĀ lived here for so many years they are notĀ something I have ever used!! šŸ˜€

Ā 

Anne..

Edited by Jayayeff

Anne,Ā  I would like to ask another question. It was conflicting info in the internet about luggage in Dubai metro. In some place was written that luggage not allowed, carry-ons only, in another was mentioned opposite... What is real situation with luggage in subway? If we will take subway from airport to hotel near Mall of Emirates ( or another station on the red line), can we do this with luggage?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, kurgan said:

Anne,Ā  I would like to ask another question. It was conflicting info in the internet about luggage in Dubai metro. In some place was written that luggage not allowed, carry-ons only, in another was mentioned opposite... What is real situation with luggage in subway? If we will take subway from airport to hotel near Mall of Emirates ( or another station on the red line), can we do this with luggage?

Thanks!

Ā 

Yes you can travel on the Metro with luggage. Ā I believe the restriction is 2 pieces per person (i.e. 1 check-in sizeĀ piece and 1 carry-on size piece). Ā  Ā The airport terminals are at the beginning of the Red Line so the trains are virtually empty when you get on but will be much more crowded when you negotiate getting off at the MoE... Also, the Metro does not run 24 hours a dayĀ so check operating hours with your arrival time and day...

Ā 

Anne..

7 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Ā 

Yes you can travel on the Metro with luggage. Ā I believe the restriction is 2 pieces per person (i.e. 1 check-in sizeĀ piece and 1 carry-on size piece). Ā  Ā The airport terminals are at the beginning of the Red Line so the trains are virtually empty when you get on but will be much more crowded when you negotiate getting off at the MoE... Also, the Metro does not run 24 hours a dayĀ so check operating hours with your arrival time and day...

Ā 

Anne..

Anne, how crowded will be that red line train in Thursday afternoon and FridayĀ  about noon? More or less that usual?

Ā 

1 hour ago, kurgan said:

Anne, how crowded will be that red line train in Thursday afternoon and FridayĀ  about noon? More or less that usual?

Ā 

Ā 

When you get on at the airport it wonā€™t be crowded at all, but it will becomeĀ more crowded as it goes along so youā€™d just need to be comfortable getting yourself and your luggage off the train and through the station you get off at. Ā  Friday noon shouldnā€™t be too busy as Friday is the main weekend day here so only leisure passengers not commuters would be on the trains however, a lot of people do still use the Metro even on the weekends. Ā The stations, platforms, etc. are all quite spacious and user friendly with both escalators and lifts for those whoĀ are more comfortable using them. Ā  Personally Iā€™ve only used the Metro without bags or large pieces of luggageĀ but you see many families with pushchairs, or others with luggage so itā€™s doable...

Ā 

Anne..

Edited by Jayayeff

On ā€Ž9ā€Ž/ā€Ž9ā€Ž/ā€Ž2019 at 6:49 AM, Jayayeff said:

Ā 

When you get on at the airport it wonā€™t be crowded at all, but it will becomeĀ more crowded as it goes along so youā€™d just need to be comfortable getting yourself and your luggage off the train and through the station you get off at. Ā  Friday noon shouldnā€™t be too busy as Friday is the main weekend day here so only leisure passengers not commuters would be on the trains however, a lot of people do still use the Metro even on the weekends. Ā The stations, platforms, etc. are all quite spacious and user friendly with both escalators and lifts for those whoĀ are more comfortable using them. Ā  Personally Iā€™ve only used the Metro without bags or large pieces of luggageĀ but you see many families with pushchairs, or others with luggage so itā€™s doable...

Ā 

Anne..

Thanks!

What is your opinion about 4 Points Sheraton Cheik Zayad road?Ā Ā  Looks like it not far from mayor sightseeing points in New Dubai.

Hi Ann,

Thank you so much for your time and all the helpful suggestions/advises here.

I will be in Dubai for 2 nights (after a cruise in 2020).Ā  My flight home to LAX, is early in the morning around 8.30AM.

Please recommend a hotel near to the airport. At the mean time, I would like to do some tours too (first time in Dubai), or I dont need to be near the airport? Would the traffic be bad in the morning?

Im grateful for your advises.

lam

On 9/10/2019 at 4:12 PM, kurgan said:

Thanks!

What is your opinion about 4 Points Sheraton Cheik Zayad road?Ā Ā  Looks like it not far from mayor sightseeing points in New Dubai.

Ā 

Sh. Zayed Road is a convenient location with easy access to the Metro and with lots of choice of hotels/restaurants, etc. Ā however, Iā€™m not familiar with the 4 Points Sheraton itself so Iā€™d check tripadvisor reviews for any hotel specific info...

Ā 

Anne...

4 hours ago, lamwinn said:

Hi Ann,

Thank you so much for your time and all the helpful suggestions/advises here.

I will be in Dubai for 2 nights (after a cruise in 2020).Ā  My flight home to LAX, is early in the morning around 8.30AM.

Please recommend a hotel near to the airport. At the mean time, I would like to do some tours too (first time in Dubai), or I dont need to be near the airport? Would the traffic be bad in the morning?

Im grateful for your advises.

lam

Ā 

If you have an 8.30amĀ flight departure and need to be at the airport by 6.00/6.30 then traffic isnā€™t an issue at that time but distance/time may be if you stay in the Jumeirah Beach, Dubai Marina or Palm Jumeirah areas... Ā There are several hotels very close to the airport from budget hotels (Premier Inn, Holiday Inn Express) upwards. Ā  There are also 3 hotels (Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza and HolidayĀ Inn)Ā in Dubai Festival City which is also quiteĀ close to the airport, on one of the Hoho bus routesĀ and attached to a mall with nice cafes/coffee shops. The nicerĀ stand aloneĀ hotels nearest to the airport would be Le Meridien Hotel & Conference Centre, Roda Al Bustan Hotel or Jumeirah Creekside Hotel...

Ā 

Anne...

Ā 

Anne....

9 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Ā 

Sh. Zayed Road is a convenient location with easy access to the Metro and with lots of choice of hotels/restaurants, etc. Ā however, Iā€™m not familiar with the 4 Points Sheraton itself so Iā€™d check tripadvisor reviews for any hotel specific info...

Ā 

Anne...

Thanks Anne

12 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Ā 

If you have an 8.30amĀ flight departure and need to be at the airport by 6.00/6.30 then traffic isnā€™t an issue at that time but distance/time may be if you stay in the Jumeirah Beach, Dubai Marina or Palm Jumeirah areas... Ā There are several hotels very close to the airport from budget hotels (Premier Inn, Holiday Inn Express) upwards. Ā  There are also 3 hotels (Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza and HolidayĀ Inn)Ā in Dubai Festival City which is also quiteĀ close to the airport, on one of the Hoho bus routesĀ and attached to a mall with nice cafes/coffee shops. The nicerĀ stand aloneĀ hotels nearest to the airport would be Le Meridien Hotel & Conference Centre, Roda Al Bustan Hotel or Jumeirah Creekside Hotel...

Ā 

Anne...

Ā 

Anne....

Thank you so much Ann for your quick reply. I will check in the Dubai Festival City area for the hotels since you said it is close to the airport. And definitely i will look into Le Meridien too.

I think in this forum. You had noted a private guide tour name. If it is still okay to this forum and CC. And if you dont mind to please mention again the contact of the private tour guide, if you have more than one please include all. Sometimes they get busy because thousand of cruise guests come in town. It is always nice to know more than one tour guide. You again are appreciated.

13 hours ago, lamwinn said:

Thank you so much Ann for your quick reply. I will check in the Dubai Festival City area for the hotels since you said it is close to the airport. And definitely i will look into Le Meridien too.

I think in this forum. You had noted a private guide tour name. If it is still okay to this forum and CC. And if you dont mind to please mention again the contact of the private tour guide, if you have more than one please include all. Sometimes they get busy because thousand of cruise guests come in town. It is always nice to know more than one tour guide. You again are appreciated.

Ā 

I don't have any personal experience with any local tour companies - I'm usually the one guiding my visitors around!!!Ā  However, a couple I met on a cruise who had used private tours when visiting the UAE had recommended a company called Dubai Private Tour.Ā  I have also heard recommendations for a private guide by the name of Iona who I understood was registered just as Dubai Tour Guide but I don't have contact details for either of them. Ā  I'm sure if you do either a Google search or a TripAdvisor search or Tours By Locals search for private guides or tours you'll get both listings and reviews...

Ā 

Anne..

On 9/6/2019 at 9:46 AM, btlover said:

Thank you, Anne. I feel better about my hotel choice now. Can't wait to start our vacation in Dubai.

Ā 

Linda

Ā 

Ā 

Linda,

Ā 

As you specifically asked about the Al Seef Heritage Hotel, I thought you might like to read the following which features in the current edition of Conde Nast Traveller Middle East edition..

https://www.cntravellerme.com/19641-review-al-seef-heritage-hotel-dubai

Ā 

Regards

Ā 

Anne..

10 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Ā 

I don't have any personal experience with any local tour companies - I'm usually the one guiding my visitors around!!!Ā  However, a couple I met on a cruise who had used private tours when visiting the UAE had recommended a company called Dubai Private Tour.Ā  I have also heard recommendations for a private guide by the name of Iona who I understood was registered just as Dubai Tour Guide but I don't have contact details for either of them. Ā  I'm sure if you do either a Google search or a TripAdvisor search or Tours By Locals search for private guides or tours you'll get both listings and reviews...

Ā 

Anne..

Thank you so much Ann.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SailorJack said:

Wife wants to know about head coverings while visiting Dubai. I assume it is necessary if visiting religious sites, but how about just around the city? Must all hair be covered? Scarf/Ā  Shawl?

Ā 

Thanks

Ā 

No need for anything other than ā€˜normalā€™ clothing around the city but if you plan on visiting any mosques than ladies are required to wear full sleeves and either trousers or a long skirt plus aĀ scarf or shawl as head covering.... No need to tuck all hair away, the scarf/shawl can be worn loosely over her head and shoulders....

Ā 

Anne...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Ā 

No need for anything other than ā€˜normalā€™ clothing around the city but if you plan on visiting any mosques than ladies are required to wear full sleeves and either trousers or a long skirt plus aĀ scarf or shawl as head covering.... No need to tuck all hair away, the scarf/shawl can be worn loosely over her head and shoulders....

Ā 

Anne...

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks!Ā  That is going to help with the packing.Ā  We will be there in about 6 weeks.

Ā 

Jack

5 hours ago, Summer35 said:

Hi, Anne,

Ā 

a question for Burj Khalifa Tickets.....I am not sure if you answered this question already,but I want to buy tickets in advance. Where do I buy them?

Ā 

Ute

There is a considerable discount buying them through GroupOn.

7 hours ago, Summer35 said:

Hi, Anne,

Ā 

a question for Burj Khalifa Tickets.....I am not sure if you answered this question already,but I want to buy tickets in advance. Where do I buy them?

Ā 

Ute

Ā 

You can either get them from the official At The Top website or as others have suggested a Goggle search could lead you to other ticketing or discount sites....

Ā 

Anne...

4 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Ā 

You can either get them from the official At The Top website or as others have suggested a Goggle search could lead you to other ticketing or discount sites....

Ā 

Anne...

Thank you, Anne. I was not sure if all these sites are selling official tickets šŸ™‚

45 minutes ago, Summer35 said:

Thank you, Anne. I was not sure if all these sites are selling official tickets šŸ™‚

Ā 

I'm pretty certain the two mentioned are selling official tickets however, all options will only be 'vouchers' or 'receipts' and you will need to collect the actual tickets from the ticket office for At The Top which is in Dubai Mall - either in advance or on the day you have booked to go up the Burj Khalifa...

Ā 

Anne...