Question about cabin deck/location on Panama Canal cruise

rgmacm

We're looking at the P.C. partial transit - out of Ft. Lauderdale....month of January....

Questions:

• Port or Starboard: Is there a 'better' side of the ship - or are they about the same? ;) (thinking of MORE than just PC views...thinking the entire cruise.) :)
  • Deck: "Open" for breezes? or protected from heat/rain? There are a few Caribe deck balconies available... But, I'm debating whether the covering (of Deck 11) would be better.... 'welcomed' as a protection from heat/rain...or just make it stiflingly hot! Perhaps the totally open decks are better for 'breezes'? ;);) Just wondering HOW hot is it in January in Central America/Southern Caribbean? (yes, I know weather is unpredictable...I'm just curious about the experiences of others'.)
  • Movement: How much movement do you 'typically' encounter on this itinerary as I determine if we could be happy with aft....or even forward cabins...or if we need to stay with our 'usual' - mid-aft. (Yep...those mid-ship cabins are pretty pricey!! haha!!!)

Again....I'm just asking for others' experiences.... Would love to hear where you stayed...and how you liked (or didn't like) it. ….and reasons!!!

Thanks!

Edited by rgmacm

One never knows which canal the ship will enter until about one hour prior to that event. With that in mind, you won't know which side of the ship is better. That is why a large number of passengers will be on the open deck, so that they can see both sides. Lots of folks will be in the bow, many will be up high, several will be on the promenade deck and there will be a good number aft.

It is always on the warm to hot side in the canal. You need to look closely at a map and see how close to the equator you will be. It is hot at the equator, all the time. Rain? Yep, it is possible and you won't know until that day (or maybe the day before) as things can change there.

January is not the season for experiences heavy seas in the Caribbean. However, there just might be a squall line that you will need to go through. It is not predictable.

Karen and I have almost 500 sea days in the past 24 years and have been low and to the center for most of them. Less motion; and the pricing of the cabin allows us to cruise as often as we do.

We will be in the canal (Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale) in a few weeks; it will be our 6th time into the canal. Enjoy your cruise.

Jim

Heat is a known. Likely it will be in the 80's and high humidity. Temps do not change near the equator, just the amount of rain.

You left out the most important detail...WHICH SHIP????? It makes a difference. If you are looking at Island Princess, which transits through the old locks, I would recommend port side, although if you stay on the ship and do not take an excursion it would not make a difference as you will see the other side as you return. In any event, you will see only 40% or less if you plan to stay on your balcony. You want to be out and about, especially on the promenade deck.

If you are looking at Caribbean Princess, she will be taking the new locks, and the views are completely different from the old locks. Side makes no difference, as again, you would want to be out on the promenade deck. For transit of the new locks, views are completely different on each side.

As far as the other pots go, Limon is a commercial port. Not much to see. Cartagena also a commercial port. Lots of containers to be seen. Grand Cayman is a tender port. One visits Ocho Rios, the other Falmouth. Not much choice there. I would prefer Ocho Rios for convenience of excursions. EM

Our last partial cruise through the Canal was on the Coral Princess and we were in cabin C712. I love the Caribe deck on this ship and we were close enough to the aft that I could run out to the back were there was a balcony across the whole back of the ship with loungers and furniture where you could set and take pictures and it was covered.

We did the full transit( FLL to LA) in February 2015 on the Island. We had the last cabin in the aft on the Emerald deck (can't remember the #). Had views on the side as well as the aft view. Although we were topside in the morning we spent most of the afternoon on our balcony. It was so hot and humid and we did have a bottle of champagne on ice! We are doing the reverse this February on the Coral (SFO to FLL) in the same cabin and yes there will be champagne! Our cruise on the Island was our favorite cruise that's why we're doing it again! The Island and Coral have indoor pool areas which we enjoyed on those very hot days!

Aft is best. You can sit on your lonely balcony and watch the locks operate. Since they are so few available, it will be more expensive and need to be booked farther out. But they are well worth it. I went on deck a couple of times and it was a zoo. You must pick your vantage point well and early.