Caribbean Princess Itinerary Change Due to Hurricane Issac

idahospud

Thank you so much for posting the status of your cruise. My elderly parents are on the ship with you and I have been worried about Hurricane Isaac. Please keep posting if you can.

I'm the original poster. We had a beautiful day in St. Thomas today and are headed to San Juan tomorrow. I have no concerns about the storm affecting us. That's why we had the itinerary change - to keep us out of it. Here on the ship you'd never know there was a tropical storm or hurricane out there if not for the news (and the change of ports). All is good!

Interestingly enough, viewing Port St. Maarten webcam this morning, beautiful day, calm seas, 2 Carnival ships and 1 Royal Caribbean in port.

Our original itinerary had us going to St. Maarten on Saturday so I'm guessing by then the camera may be showing a different picture. I hope not. They still have a long way to go in recovering from Irma.

I think a 20% credit towards a future cruise is a very generous gesture, and that they had the foresight to change ports at this late date is awesome. Someone mentioned throwaway ports. Those would be in the eyes of the beholder. Everyone like different ports. To us, our throwaway ports on a Caribbean cruise is the first and last ones in Florida, but that’s just us. To each his own.

I ordinarily wouldn't call SJ a throwaway port either--we've been there 5 times and enjoyed each visit, sometimes doing a ship's tour. However, I'm not sure what it will be like now, after Hurricane Maria a year ago. In searching the internet for current conditions, I found that some major SJ hotels have not yet reopened but will later this month. Don't know if the palm trees have recovered. Certainly, I would doubt that excursions out of the city such as El Junque NP would be offered yet--takes trees and other greenery a long time to recover from being totally stripped if they're even still standing. But I'm sure SJ will welcome you with open arms. Their economy needs the help your dollars will bring. We've enjoyed walking around the old city and the adjacent Castillo San Felipe del Morro. Enjoy your visit there!

Spent 5 hours touring SJ today... even El Junque. It was all open except for the last little bit past the observation tower. Mostly it was hard to tell there was a devastating hurricane a year ago where we went. Old San Juan looked good. The fort was fine. There were homes and buildings here and there that still sit as they were after the hurricane and have not been touched.

The tour guide was delighted in our itinerary change. He said Princess stopped calling there 3 years ago for some reason and we were the first ship back. They hope Princess continues to come.

Diann

We diverted around Hurricane Otis years ago, and had the best view of the periphery. You could see the sheet lightning and forked lightning, smell the electricity in the air...awe inspiring. It was also our first balcony and felt like Mother Nature was putting in a private show.:hearteyes:

Spent 5 hours touring SJ today... even El Junque. It was all open except for the last little bit past the observation tower. Mostly it was hard to tell there was a devastating hurricane a year ago where we went. Old San Juan looked good. The fort was fine. There were homes and buildings here and there that still sit as they were after the hurricane and have not been touched.

The tour guide was delighted in our itinerary change. He said Princess stopped calling there 3 years ago for some reason and we were the first ship back. They hope Princess continues to come.

Diann

Glad to hear things are getting back to normal in SJ and El Junque! I think the main problem in SJ was loss of power as opposed to building damage. Things were the worst in the more remote areas. I didn't realize Princess had stopped called at SJ for some years. We were last there on the Grand P in 2010, our fifth visit over the years.

We had that same room and a balcony dinner in October last year on Caribbean Princess..Divine. We are back her again in two weeks and plan to repeat same. Wondering, however, if you had footstools for your chairs and a round table out there (both of which we did not have)???? Hopefully they have corrected that by now. Thanks in advance for your reply. Happy sailing.

They don’t have the footstools for ours (B749). I tried to get the steward to find me some but was told it’s only for minisuites and above. Round table was there. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They don’t have the footstools for ours (B749). I tried to get the steward to find me some but was told it’s only for minisuites and above. Round table was there. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were just on CB and had footstools and round table along with chairs on Caribe deck balcony.

Diann

I didn’t realize Princess stopped going to SJ. We are cruising in November and SJ has been on our itinerary since we booked the cruise almost a year ago. So it must of been a planned return by Princess and your itinerary change just moved up the timeline. Enjoy your cruise!!!!!!!

I didn’t realize Princess stopped going to SJ. We are cruising in November and SJ has been on our itinerary since we booked the cruise almost a year ago. So it must of been a planned return by Princess and your itinerary change just moved up the timeline. Enjoy your cruise!!!!!!!

I also didn’t realize that Princess did not stop at SJ. I know that they stopped sailing out of San Juan a number of years ago.

Our original itinerary had us going to St. Maarten on Saturday so I'm guessing by then the camera may be showing a different picture. I hope not. They still have a long way to go in recovering from Irma.

Isaac' long gone west of the Antilles, toward middle Caribbean. Glad you had a good port visit in PR, good to support those people as well as they continue to recover financially.