Drowning in clothes- packing question

klb1978

ok so I’m the first to admit I over pack for every trip I take :D Trying to get our clothes together for the main dining room and I’m really struggling. We very much enjoy dressing up each night and plan to do so this cruise as well. Of course this cruise we’ve added a child into the mix. Curious for those that dress up nightly do you take one outfit per dinner or do you rewear an outfit or two? We have always done one per night and I have rear but gosh that’s a lot of clothes for three people/ seven nights. We drive to port so airline fees aren’t a problem/ consideration
I have found that doing the "mix and match" thing with coordinating skirts and tops works well. Three coordinating skirts and tops can yield a dozen different combos. Here is my Golden rule for packing for a cruise:. Take half the clothes and twice the money [emoji383]

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

I also am an overpacker. On my cruise this Thursday I am traveling to port in a car and I will be alone so I can take as much as I want, but I have to leave room for my roommate (if she makes it up from SC) to have closet space too. I am always hot so I plan on bringing more summer type clothes, but it is supposed to get cold up in Maine and Canada at night so I am confused. I perspire a lot and I can't seem to eat a whole meal without dripping something on my clothes so I don't usually wear things more then once. With a 9 night cruise using one outfit in daytime and different one for dinner that is 18 outfits!! Would I be crazy to try to handle two roll ons to check and one roll on and one shoulder duffle to carry on?

Sure to the bags questions....if they are spinners. We do it all the time. Put the spinners back to back and roll with one hand and put the duffle on top of the carryon and roll it with the other hand.

If they are not spinners no....pushing bags at your side is a lot easier then pulling them.

Put everything crucial in the duffle. Check all the bags with the porter. (Unless the third carry-on is to provide wheels for the duffle...)

This would be a time to use a larger suitcase (keep it under 50lb!) in place of the first and second carryon bags. I did similar for our recent 2-wk Alaska cruise, although I had to pay to fly the 24" suitcase. One carryon, one duffle, two daypacks. It took FOREVER to unpack! But I did have all the extras for my family group of 8 others.

Also consider that the ship does have laundry services.

BND, our 2017 August cruise I had to figure out how to pack for our Copenhagen & Iceland TA and come back into the 90's & 100's. :)Actually we left in the 90 + . We dressed for our arrival into Copenhagen which was low 70's and carried a light jacket if needed. it can be done.

Oh, I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I plan to wait to check the forecasts a few days out before we pack. I do know that it can pretty much be anywhere from the 40's to the 70's on that itinerary in Oct, on average. We're going to take clothes that can be layered and both a water resistant hooded windbreaker and a down jacket that takes up very little space when packed. I've worn my down jacket here in NoVA in Oct before.

I also am an overpacker. On my cruise this Thursday I am traveling to port in a car and I will be alone so I can take as much as I want, but I have to leave room for my roommate (if she makes it up from SC) to have closet space too. I am always hot so I plan on bringing more summer type clothes, but it is supposed to get cold up in Maine and Canada at night so I am confused. I perspire a lot and I can't seem to eat a whole meal without dripping something on my clothes so I don't usually wear things more then once. With a 9 night cruise using one outfit in daytime and different one for dinner that is 18 outfits!! Would I be crazy to try to handle two roll ons to check and one roll on and one shoulder duffle to carry on?

Look for one of those cords that connect your bags - like pilots and attendants use. I found ours on Amazon (search for luggage connectors) or you can check a luggage store.

I remember my first cruise I took a whole suitcase of shoes. One pair for each dinner. Now I travel a lot more for work and pleasure so I pack as little as I can get away with for myself. I also tend to wear dresses so it's just one item instead of two. I do this for my youngest also. Now if I could only get hubby to pack half as much. I am the packing bad guy (girl) and will remove clothing if I think someone has packed too much. My brother is going on his first cruise with us and I've given him a very restrictive packing list. That being said I pack all the necessary items for the family that we could possibly need as far as toiletries and OTC medicine.

Thanks everyone! It’s very interesting to me how different everybody does packing. I know cruising has changed a lot over the years as far as dining room attire. It kinda makes me sad that it’s not as fancy but I guess it is what it is. Honestly wearing whatever in the dining room would be so much easier but we enjoy the aspect of getting dressed up and enjoying the beautiful atmosphere. Regardless of what I decide to pack I know we are going to have a wonderful cruise! It’s been 5 long years since we last cruised and are just excited to be back on the ship and to introduce our son to this way of traveling.

BND, coming from the Desert and not needing heavy winter clothes during our so called Winters, I layered and didn't buy a heavy jacket that would never be used here.I brought sweaters, sweatshirt levies and a medium jacket and did fine in Iceland at 54 degrees. I wore only the levies, blouse and jacket and brought the sweatshirt just in case but didn't need it.

We took our first cruise last spring. I brought a different dress for each dinner, and wore the same dress for both formal nights. My daughter (age 13) did the same. My hubby and son (age 10) repeated the same handful of outfits for dinner and that was fine for them. My daughter and I liked wearing something different to dinner each night. One thing I learned though was that I definitely overpacked day outfits and I underpacked bathing suits/rashguards/water & beachwear. I found I was in that stuff most of the time between excursions and relaxing on sea days. My kids, however, still wore their regular shorts and t shirts plenty, so I’ll pack differently for myself than I will for them. And I found re-wearing some things not to be so bad because there wasn’t anything that I wore for an entire day, except for the swimwear stuff. :)