Over the top on the Maasdam ..........

OlsSalt

Technically, without a written, publicly available policy, one can only say that they aggressively and maliciously broke the rules, once they had been informed. Since you have not mentioned another instance since the letter was sent providing such notice, one must conclude the behavior stopped and as such their rule breaking was not malicious nor aggressive.

The problem might have been resolved earlier by an immediate call to customer service, instead of initially using the comment card.

Posting illegal signage and hijacking an entire public deck for personal use is "aggressive and malicious".

Re-read the sequence of events for greater comprehension as to time line. Sorry this issue bothers you so much that you need to make things up.

Will there be future events? Hard to tell. It has been remarkably overcast and cold for the past few days after the notice went out to all passengers. My guess is anyone so "aggressively and maliciously" dedicated to initiate this activity will continue to do so. But now we are only in the land of speculation. The real curiosity is the similarity to the signs posted as reported here in 2016 - same wording, same pre-made plastic sign - they just added at-sea days and hours of operation. But topless deck adults only was the same wording.

Posting illegal signage and hijacking an entire public deck for personal use is "aggressive and malicious".

Re-read the sequence of events for greater comprehension as to time line. Sorry this issue bothers you so much that you need to make things up.

Will there be future events? Hard to tell. It has been remarkably overcast and cold for the past few days after the notice went out to all passengers. My guess is anyone so "aggressively and maliciously" dedicated to initiate this activity will continue to do so. But now we are only in the land of speculation. The real curiosity is the similarity to the signs posted as reported here in 2016 - same wording, same pre-made plastic sign - they just added at-sea days and hours of operation. But topless deck adults only was the same wording.

Not making things up. You indicated that your two methods of contact was via comment cards, the follow up with customer service occured later.

You also indicated that the letter informing the passengers did not occur until 15 days into the cruise.

You also have not indicated any violations since the letter was put out.

So what exactly was as you say made up in my post.

The most malicious behavior seems to be in your posts towards anyone that disagrees with your view.

To update this thread: The Maasdam does not and has never had a topless deck. The signs were not placed by the ship and have been removed.

OleSalt:

What took so long for HAL to address this issue? Thanks for noticing the rogue sign and following up on the placement. Only a HAL regular cruiser would realize something was “out of the ordinary”. With all of the changes on the Maasdam we might possibly think “maybe” this could be another HAL change (but not logically).

Addressing issues on the comment card will generally get a response within 24 hours. Calling the front desk is not usually very effective in my experience.

Did they at least offer you a free bottle of wine? You have obviously pointed out an issue that they needed to address.

Do the Maasdam and Veendam still have the Oasis on the Sky deck ? No cabins beside it' date=' no decks above it.[/quote']

Both Maasdam and Veendam no longer show the Oasis, nor Sky Deck, on their HAL deck plans. Based on a pic supplied by another CC poster of the Oasis on Amsterdam, that one appears abandoned and no longer in use. Having said that, the Oasis is still physically there on the ships who had them. There is nothing above or to the sides of the Oasis, cabin-wise. Below it is the Loft and Club HAL

The Oasis concept, designed for the exclusive use by teens (ages 13-18) came out with the "Signature of Excellence #1 program announced in November 2003. It was/is a secluded, teens-only (ages 13-18) sun deck located just aft of the ship's smoke stack. It came with covered snack areas, hammocks, a "cave-type" area, a poolette with a nine-foot high "tropical waterfall". A spiral staircase leads down from the Oasis to the "teens only" Loft below.

Oasis__ms_Ryndam_SFsBzMnN2iEjOm1xNHXi3gp_rgb_72.jpg

Ryndam

ms-veendam_109_2003.jpg

Veendam

Holland%20America%20Line%20Veendam%20Interior%20Teens%20Loft%20&%20Oasis.jpg

Veendam

OleSalt:

What took so long for HAL to address this issue? Thanks for noticing the rogue sign and following up on the placement. Only a HAL regular cruiser would realize something was “out of the ordinary”. With all of the changes on the Maasdam we might possibly think “maybe” this could be another HAL change (but not logically).

Addressing issues on the comment card will generally get a response within 24 hours. Calling the front desk is not usually very effective in my experience.

Did they at least offer you a free bottle of wine? You have obviously pointed out an issue that they needed to address.

I’m happy to read this deserved recognition for OleSalt’s keen observation and descriptive skills.

I admit to being confused on what actually happened. I think some pertinent posts were deleted.

I wondered if Management is back pedaling on a decision to change rules on the ship designed to be about “exploration”. I don’t always believe corporate denials. In any event I hope the OP enjoys the trip.

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 8:18 PM, #55worktoplay said:

Just so you know it is not the “norm” in Canada however there is no law against it in Ontario. I personally have never seen a topless woman walking down the street or on a beach here but it is allowed and there is zero anybody can do about it. Pot is soon legal here but not everybody will be smoking joints.

Supreme Court of Canada ruled against that particular public indecency part of the criminal code as it violates gender equality provision of the Charter of Rights.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/being-topless-in-public-is-legal-b-c-woman-reminds-others-after-police-encounter-1.3170353

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been looking up Maasdam posts, so I came across this thread.  You know, I had to read the whole thing.  So many thoughts...  I do object to the rather rude comments about "midwestern sensibilities," but won't go there, as I would rather say that my thoughts are more about how sensitive every one is about their own privacy.  If those sunbathers end up in my pictures, is that OK when I post them?  The view from the cabin included those topless people, did they automatically give up all rights?  Am I expected to take my photos in a way that does not include these people, i.e. that I now have to go out of my way in my cabin to ensure their privacy?  Or even from Deck 10?  What about some creeper who gets ahold of those photos?  Someone talked about a "jokester" posting that sign - what if it wasn't quite as "funny" or innocent?  So now anyone can stare or "check them out" while they sunbath because they've ignored the rules?  Do I think this is the case, no.  I think those folks set up their own sign for their own enjoyment.  In some ways, I have more of an issue with that "the rules don't apply to me" attitude as much as anything.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2019 at 1:53 AM, cruising cockroach said:

Supreme Court of Canada ruled against that particular public indecency part of the criminal code as it violates gender equality provision of the Charter of Rights.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/being-topless-in-public-is-legal-b-c-woman-reminds-others-after-police-encounter-1.3170353

Well there you go, I thought there was  a law that allowed it at one time but perhaps they then ruled against it.  Still never saw anyone walking around topless