Over the top on the Maasdam ..........

OlsSalt

So.....................what should the penalty/consequences be for the inglorious rascule(s) who posted that bunk sign resulting in a bevy of hearts all over to start beating faster? (I understand Maasie's finest are on the case as we speak)
Something simple. Pay to revarnish the door and pay for 1 months worth of antihypertensive drugs for everyone on CruiseCritic who had a blood pressure spike.

They do! But, Regina? Why Regina? Have you been there? In the winter?

Yes I know from friends who reside in that fine province that it is known as the "frozen tundra (Saskatchewan) " but the RCMP have their Academy there (Regina) so that's got to be where you find the brightest whippersnappers who can be put on the case

The big question is did OldSalt ever see any boobies?

Don't tell anyone but I make signs that state "This poolside lounger is reserved for cabin 11021". I never have to risk my 99 cent paperback being stolen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I know from friends who reside in that fine province that it is known as the "frozen tundra (Saskatchewan) " but the RCMP have their Academy there (Regina) so that's got to be where you find the brightest whippersnappers who can be put on the case ��

OK, that makes sense. The best and the brightest for sure.

Suggest if you ever visit, try Saskatoon, which is even worse than Regina. The weather there is the main reason that half of BC is full of former retired Saskatchewan folks.

Suggest if you ever visit, try Saskatoon, which is even worse than Regina. The weather there is the main reason that half of BC is full of former retired Saskatchewan folks.

That - Saskatoon - happens to be where our friends reside! ;) One day!

Thank you HAL! I'm all for folks doing their own thing. However, I really wasn't looking forward to feeling like a "peeping tom" every time I went to the end of our balcony in cabin 220 to see what scenery there was to see on the starboard side of the ship.

That is exactly how we felt in 205 the other side of the aft deck. Comming and going up to the aft pool outside “our “ backdoor :)

HEY!!! I’m from Saskatoon!!! At least we get to appreciate all 4 seasons, winter being the longest. Having said that, if it wasn’t for winter, we wouldn’t cruise nearly as often. Not at all interested in moving to BC, we’re just waiting to see it fall into the ocean.

Our motto isn’t “Land of Living Skies” for nothing.

Smooth Sailing! [emoji846] [emoji846] [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... fine province that it is known as the "frozen tundra (Saskatchewan) " but the RCMP have their Academy there (Regina) ...

Regina, SK ... beautiful place ... to leave. At least that’s what every new Mountie usually says after 6 months at Depot. [emoji6]

The Maasdam does not and has never had a topless deck. The signs were not placed by the ship and have been removed.

[ HAL_PR ] 30 posts since 2007 & this thread is response worthy? Clearly this topic caught some attention at HAL HQ.

Perhaps the (re)introduction of topless sunbathing areas is worthy of some further consideration, in more suitable locations? The times are changing, just like the ships, venues & clientele demographics.

HAL_PR, please join us any time on CC for more lively discussions on all things HAL, cruising & then some. Your participation is warmly welcomed & sincerely appreciated.

Stay safe Dogstar!

And to you as well Copper10-8 !

[ HAL_PR ]

Perhaps the (re)introduction of topless sunbathing areas is worthy of some further consideration, in more suitable locations? The times are changing, just like the ships, venues & clientele demographics.

I admit to being a little disappointed at the outcome. Not that I would participate (or ogle) but it just seems like an unnecessary restriction for a line that welcomes so many travelers from different countries. I think further consideration would be a good thing. :)

Maybe HAL rightly sees topless sunbathing as a bit passé. Even sunbathing in general is, perhaps, outworn or gradually becoming so.

One might think so, but it's not true everywhere. Just go to a beach in Italy in the summer. Rows of chairs lined up in the sun and the goal is to get bronzed. I've run out of sunscreen on a trip and had a hard time finding anything with an SPF higher than 8 in some places -- even in pharmacies! (And that was just two years ago....)

I admit to being a little disappointed at the outcome. Not that I would participate (or ogle) but it just seems like an unnecessary restriction for a line that welcomes so many travelers from different countries. I think further consideration would be a good thing. :)

I am disappointed, too. I thought Maasdam was carving out a unique place in the HAL fleet with her zodiacs and itinerary, thought topless sunbathing would further separate her from the ordinary.

HEY!!! I’m from Saskatoon!!! At least we get to appreciate all 4 seasons, winter being the longest. Having said that, if it wasn’t for winter, we wouldn’t cruise nearly as often. Not at all interested in moving to BC, we’re just waiting to see it fall into the ocean.

You are so right: just watch us slide into the ocean without a ship!

Have lots of relatives in Sask. You know Gravelbourg?

4 seasons for BC, too, just not the extremes.

Enjoy your cruises! Here, we cruise to get away from the rain :D

Hey, you and DH could move to la Province de Québec and vivez la belle vie, Your Honor ;p

We are in one of the impacted cabins, and no we do not like this unwelcome intrusion on our regular HAL expectations about public nudity.

Nude sunbathers have other location options, if this is the new HAL policy. Why should they take priority over the expectations of other passengers who were not expecting to be confronted with this scene during normal ship board activities. Your response and attitude is not appreciated. But thank you for sharing it. It was expected and unfortunately may chill a full discussion on this abrupt change of HAL policy.

I am primarily surprised if clothing-optional is now the new HAL onboard policy it did not create as much discussion as only collared shirts required on Gala Nights - according to the responses so far why even expect collared shirts?

So did the original poster actually see one or more topless sunbathers?

Did she see anyone take the sign on deck nine seriously?

Did she approach any one on the ship about her trepidation of possibly seeing a topless sunbather?

Did she discuss the feared presumed new policy with a person in the know ie the cruise director?

Hopefully we can get a clearer picture of her trauma from her now that Holland America has responded and presumably quelled her fears.