Steakhouse no longer $35

IntrepidFromDC

Although you are correct as Carnival cannot please everyone, you must understand the cause of dissatisfaction can be directly created from the experience provided by the cruise operator. In some cases, it isn’t the guest who is looking for a reason to be upset. When you’re providing an experience that is unique to each passenger, there’s a high probability that some passengers may experience service failures, maintenance issues or even simple incompetency. It’s impossible for Carnival to provide a perfect experience 100% of the time to 100% of the passengers onboard but how they react and recover is how they can either build or disrupt loyalty.

Rewarding bad behavior is a good way to lose money.

You need to accept that the customer is not always right. Carnival has.

Does Disneyland cater to young families or geriatrics? Does the loyalty of the over the hill gang matter?

Carnival is a company that has a fiduciary responsibility to it's shareholders. They must continue to be profitable. There are only soo many ways to do this:

1) Increase Prices

a.) offering new services (often at an additional cost to passenger)

2) Decrease Costs

b.) remove available services

3) A combination of 1 & 2

However, they also have to adhere to supply and demand. If enough passengers are unhappy with a change, they will let that be known by avoiding it. In this case, not dining in the specialty restaurants. I would not want the job of walking the line between overall passenger satisfaction (based on how many people book and at what price points) versus profitability.

The discussion here is a perfect example of the great divide in cruise passengers that the cruise lines must try to close in order to keep their cabins filled.

The discussion here is a perfect example of the great divide in cruise passengers that the cruise lines must try to close in order to keep their cabins filled.

I would suggest Manage Costs vs Decrease Costs. The cost of virtually everything increases. The task is to try to limit increases in costs.

No need to try to do the impossible of closing a divide. In politics or cruising. The solution is always compromise. Something for everyone. The majority of people will be fine with it.

Rewarding bad behavior is a good way to lose money.

You need to accept that the customer is not always right. Carnival has.

Does Disneyland cater to young families or geriatrics? Does the loyalty of the over the hill gang matter?

It’s not always at the fault of the guest and you need to understand Carnival isn’t perfect. I’m not sure why you think they are.

It’s not always at the fault of the guest and you need to understand Carnival isn’t perfect. I’m not sure why you think they are.

I know Carnival isn't perfect. I'm not sure why some cruisers think they are entitled, but that isn't Carnival's problem or mine.

People, in general, seem a lot less happy these days - something reflected in the US dropping on the list of the worlds happiest countries.

Still not sure why you have an upcoming cruise on Carnival if you are so unhappy with Carnival.

Ok, maybe you don't get my point....if you don't like it, don't go!!. You really want to beat this to death about 3 dollars??? Most cruisers don't care about a tablecloth nor want a 2 hour dining experience nowadays.

Perhaps it is you that needs to move along or accept the changes. I could care less if you had 1 or 1000 cruises. Things change, sometimes to what we want and sometimes not. That's when you decide if its acceptable to you and if not...move along to something that is. Sorry you are not finding the experience you once had, but that is the nature of change. Many like it (obviously since Carnival is doing very well) and some don't, so they find something that matches what they are looking for. I rarely hear of someone who wants an upscale experience in dining choosing carnival.

I am no idiot and I am not insinuating that you are, so please don't stoop to that.

Name me one product or service that has not gone up in price in 5 years?

In all my years of sailing Carnival, I am very happy with the product they offer and the price I pay. I just booked a week long cruise on the Legend in the Caribbean in a premium balcony room for 2000 for 3 people. That is GREAT value and I enjoy every thing it offers. And from that point I step on board, it is all my choice as to where/when or if I will have to spend even one more dime on anything

The price has been very steady or even a bit lower since I started cruising in 2009. I remember paying 2400 for 3 people in 2011 in a balcony. So YES, the value is there and if you don't think so...why would you even bother with carnival. You don't dictate prices.

If you didn't like an item/price at kohls...would you whine about it on a public message board or just find something you actually like at a different store?

I am afraid it is you beating it to death as you seem to be overly concerned with my observation of the cruise industry when it comes to specialty dining. I absolutely have NOT singled out Carnival as you continue to imply. The topic of this thread is the recent increase in specialty dining....not cabin prices, shopping at Kohls or likes/dislikes of Carnival itself.

For those rational cruisers reading this, I am certain it will not be long until the MDR's no longer exists and we soon find ourselves in a 100% ala carte dining experience coupled with specialty dining venues. Think of where we are now, you want a milkshake, decent desert, cup of coffee or even room service....it is ala carte and it is not going away soon unless folks en masse put their foot down. Sadly, I do not see this happening anytime soon.

I am afraid it is you beating it to death as you seem to be overly concerned with my observation of the cruise industry when it comes to specialty dining. I absolutely have NOT singled out Carnival as you continue to imply. The topic of this thread is the recent increase in specialty dining....not cabin prices, shopping at Kohls or likes/dislikes of Carnival itself.

For those rational cruisers reading this, I am certain it will not be long until the MDR's no longer exists and we soon find ourselves in a 100% ala carte dining experience coupled with specialty dining venues. Think of where we are now, you want a milkshake, decent desert, cup of coffee or even room service....it is ala carte and it is not going away soon unless folks en masse put their foot down. Sadly, I do not see this happening anytime soon.

Ok...well, stress yourself out over 3 bucks. I hate to be the one to inform you, but nothing ever stays the same. We adjust and determine if its worth it anymore to us and make a decision.

I will be enjoying many many more cruises on Carnival :)

Some folks will look at this as a discussion over $3.00. I think it is important to not lose site of the ramifications these nickel and dime increases from the mass cruise lines create. Three dollars here, 5 dollars there for 7 or more days. I can't tell you how many first time cruisers I have conversed with who were shocked over the end of cruise portfolio charges. One may say, oh well, they should have known. Possibly, but tell that to the crew who suddenly have their tips removed because the cruiser (who saved just enough to make it onboard) no longer had enough funds to pay his portfolio to exit the ship. I think most would be appalled if they knew the frequency this happens.

Just went to reserve steakhouse on our upcoming Conquest cruise and the price is now $38. Glad I own Carnival stock.

I'm just grateful that it is not a mandatory charge. I think it's great that people are willing to pay that extra money, they have a choice.

I am quite rational and say poppycock. There will always be MDRs. For those who want to escape reality and have fantasy dinners, those will be extra cost - whether an upscale restaurant, or an elegant night theme, or even tablecloths. The majority are happy with the status quo.

Carnival stock is up ~17% in THREE MONTHS, and pays a 3%+ dividend. What's not to love when you're a combined cruiser/stockholder!?!?!?

When we first started cruising we quickly saw the value in purchasing CCL stock. We just finished our 24th cruise on Carnival and I believe we’ve had shareholder OBC for at least 22 of them. Our Hawaii cruise gave us a nice chunk of OBC. Add in the dividends and we’ve done very well with the stock as a long term investment. It’s gone way up in value as well. We also purchased Royal Caribbean stock low and sold high lol

I can't tell you how many first time cruisers I have conversed with who were shocked over the end of cruise portfolio charges.

That's the way it has always been and why novice cruisers are preferred over old salts.

It also helps explain the popularity of Cheers.

I know Carnival isn't perfect. I'm not sure why some cruisers think they are entitled, but that isn't Carnival's problem or mine.

People, in general, seem a lot less happy these days - something reflected in the US dropping on the list of the worlds happiest countries.

Still not sure why you have an upcoming cruise on Carnival if you are so unhappy with Carnival.

What are cruisers entitled to other than having an enjoyable vacation with safe/comfortable staterooms, food that is edible and “fun” while onboard?

I’m going into my upcoming Carnival cruise with very low expectations but I don’t need Carnival to hold my hand every step of the way to have a nice time. With or without the $3 increase in the steakhouse, I plan on enjoying my cruise.

Why are you concerned that I have an upcoming cruise booked on Carnival?

What are cruisers entitled to other than having an enjoyable vacation with safe/comfortable staterooms, food that is edible and “fun” while onboard?

Exactly what they get on Carnival..

I’m going into my upcoming Carnival cruise with very low expectations but I don’t need Carnival to hold my hand every step of the way to have a nice time. With or without the $3 increase in the steakhouse, I plan on enjoying my cruise.

Why are you concerned that I have an upcoming cruise booked on Carnival?

Just an observation that you confirmed again. You trash Carnival yet cruise on them. Seems irrational..

Exactly what they get on Carnival..

Not always but that is for a different thread.

Just an observation that you confirmed again. You trash Carnival yet cruise on them. Seems irrational..
I’ve been lucky to avoid sailing on Carnival since 2012. We’ll see if Carnival is able to change my opinion ;)

Sharing an opinion that is unfavorable and different from yours does not equal trashing the cruise line. I’ve stated plenty of positive comments regarding Carnival in the past. I’m not bothered by this increase in the steakhouse pricing.

I don't think it is so much about $3 as some here try to sway others to focus on. I do however think any disdain centers around the trend. What was introduced in the industry quite some time ago as an upscale dining experience for a nominal fee (10.00) has now morphed into a not so upscale dining experience for a hefty premium. Specialty restaurants now go between $30-$100.00 per person. To add insult to injury, the (included in fare) main dining experience has taken a dramatic downward spiral in service and food quality. So yes, there is more to it than a $3 increase for those of us who have been sailing for years.

Having 50 sailings over the years you are right on about the quality of food. When specialty restaurants were introduced the Main Dining room food was still great but......As soon as guests started going to the Specialty restaurants the cruise lines found a way to get more revenue. Since then the quality has diminished greatly. Thankfully Carnival has many less than RCCL. Just got off RCCL and the food was so bad at the buffet I ended up with pasta everyday for lunch. It was horrible. Johnny Rockets 11.95 pp for a hamburger you get free on Carnival at Guys.