Steakhouse no longer $35

IntrepidFromDC

Would you pay $100 to enter a restaurant and then another $38 per person to eat there? All those that think that they are just paying $38 per person each for the steakhouse are wrong. that's esentially what you're doing when you forget you already paid cruise fare to be fed. You paid XX amount to be fed each day in cruise fare and now you pay $38 more on top of that for the Steakhouse ...... Ask yourself what you really paid per person and I'll tell you it isn't $38. People have a right to be crabby about any price increases. The easy choice is not to go and not to pay.

I agree it’s more than $38 but it’s not $138.

We’re regularly paying about $1000 each for a 7 day Balcony cabin- of that $300 is a charge to upgrade from a basic inside and I think looking at the lowest priced cabin is a fair way to look at this since Main dining, shows, other meals and other included entertainment are included.

So let’s say we’re paying $100 for an inside cabin and all the other included stuff.

I realize a cruise ship inside cabin is now where near as nice as a $129 hotel room, but we’re also getting transportation to 3 or 4 tropical destinations and the inside cabin is nicer than any airline seat.

So I think it’s fair to say the inside cabin is worth $65 of the $100 per day fare. I won’t count breakfast, as that usually comes with the room. But lunch a a decent buffet: probably $15 maybe a little less but there’s other snacks all day long so I’m thinking we’re up to $80, just in the room and non dinner food. The playlist shows and the comedy club? Let’s call that the price a a movie ticket and popcorn. I’ve already gotten my $100 Worth and I haven’t even touched some of the other freebies (water slides) that come with the bargain that is cruising.

So let me ask you this: if you already had $125 worth of value for your $100, might you put that extra $25 towards $38 to get a better meal for a net $13?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess prices are usually more than Carnival but not always. Overall Princess does provide substantially better entertainment.

Just like food - this is a matter of opinion. Princess lacks the comedy club and the Alchemy bar - which are two HUGE pluses for Carnival for us. We have to give those up when we sail Princess in exchange for the live music and wine bar. All in all, we prefer Princess for their more elegant vibe and offerings, but personally, I can't say their entertainment is "substantially better," just different.

I don't think it is so much about $3 as some here try to sway others to focus on. I do however think any disdain centers around the trend. What was introduced in the industry quite some time ago as an upscale dining experience for a nominal fee (10.00) has now morphed into a not so upscale dining experience for a hefty premium. Specialty restaurants now go between $30-$100.00 per person. To add insult to injury, the (included in fare) main dining experience has taken a dramatic downward spiral in service and food quality. So yes, there is more to it than a $3 increase for those of us who have been sailing for years.

I don't think it is so much about $3 as some here try to sway others to focus on. I do however think any disdain centers around the trend. What was introduced in the industry quite some time ago as an upscale dining experience for a nominal fee (10.00) has now morphed into a not so upscale dining experience for a hefty premium. Specialty restaurants now go between $30-$100.00 per person. To add insult to injury, the (included in fare) main dining experience has taken a dramatic downward spiral in service and food quality. So yes, there is more to it than a $3 increase for those of us who have been sailing for years.

But it is still a choice for people to make. Nobody is forced to go there and there are many other no cost options to eat on board.

Boy, must a slow day for people to seriously get up in arms about a 3 dollar increase for a specialty restaurant that they do not have to go to :):)

But it is still a choice for people to make. Nobody is forced to go there and there are many other no cost options to eat on board.

Boy, must a slow day for people to seriously get up in arms about a 3 dollar increase for a specialty restaurant that they do not have to go to :):)

I guess you decided to miss the point about the degraded main dining room experience. It is because of this which virtually forces others looking for what used to be free to move up into a specialty restaurant. Great marketing over the years...too many new cruisers who do not know any better and too many long time cruisers who accepted the change with open arms. The sheep have been expertly placed into the corral...lol

I guess you decided to miss the point about the degraded main dining room experience. It is because of this which virtually forces others looking for what used to be free to move up into a specialty restaurant. Great marketing over the years...too many new cruisers who do not know any better and too many long time cruisers who accepted the change with open arms. The sheep have been expertly placed into the corral...lol

I am no sheep and I have 10 cruises with Carnival over 10 years. I stand by the fact that if you can not find good food to eat at no cost, maybe you should pay more for the upscale lines. Of course that will be more than 3 dollars, but if it makes you happy, go for it.

Vacations are your choice based on what you find value in.

I love the value of Carnival and what I get for it. I did try the Allure of the Seas last year. Found no difference in the MDR food from Carnival and actually found their buffet to be lacking, the burger place costs money vs guys burgers is free etc. I could go on, but, luckily we all have choices to make in life. I don't think Carnival is going to lose sleep worrying about if people will literally jump ship over a 3 dollar hike in a steakhouse.

I am no sheep and I have 10 cruises with Carnival over 10 years. I stand by the fact that if you can not find good food to eat at no cost, maybe you should pay more for the upscale lines. Of course that will be more than 3 dollars, but if it makes you happy, go for it.

Vacations are your choice based on what you find value in.

I love the value of Carnival and what I get for it. I did try the Allure of the Seas last year. Found no difference in the MDR food from Carnival and actually found their buffet to be lacking, the burger place costs money vs guys burgers is free etc. I could go on, but, luckily we all have choices to make in life. I don't think Carnival is going to lose sleep worrying about if people will literally jump ship over a 3 dollar hike in a steakhouse.

I guess you just don't get it or refuse to acknowledge the point. Your response is all over the place...Royal Caribbean has nothing to do with my point, nor is it about good food here or there....

I will type slower this time....the point is about trending...what used to be included in the main dining room was a fine dining experience with 4 or 5 waitstaff attending a table, great selections and ambiance has turned into 1 or 2 hurried waitstaff, no tablecloth, T shirt and shorts, move them in and move them out experience. Therefore if one wants a dining experience similar to what used to be included, you must pay a fee which has been steadily increasing. It was first introduced as a 10.00 nominal fee and now several lines boast asking prices upward to $100.00 per person. In some cases the specialty restaurants are not so special at all and basically on par with what the dining room offers....but what do I know...almost a hundred cruises completed since 1990.

I guess you just don't get it or refuse to acknowledge the point. Your response is all over the place...Royal Caribbean has nothing to do with my point, nor is it about good food here or there....

I will type slower this time....the point is about trending...what used to be included in the main dining room was a fine dining experience with 4 or 5 waitstaff attending a table, great selections and ambiance has turned into 1 or 2 hurried waitstaff, no tablecloth, T shirt and shorts, move them in and move them out experience. Therefore if one wants a dining experience similar to what used to be included, you must pay a fee which has been steadily increasing. It was first introduced as a 10.00 nominal fee and now several lines boast asking prices upward to $100.00 per person. In some cases the specialty restaurants are not so special at all and basically on par with what the dining room offers....but what do I know...almost a hundred cruises completed since 1990.

Speaking of trends, Carnival's target market from 1990 (or earlier) hasn't changed as much as the people who used to be in that market in 1990 (or earlier). Beef Wellington is not trendy.

The trend is toward Your Time Dining which, while IMO is tragic, is reality. This is what the market wants and Carnival is adjusting to it. To try to blame Carnival is to deny reality. With YTD comes increase pressure to turnaround tables quickly to satisfy demand.

When a new concept such as an extra cost restaurant is introduced, it is typically at a promotional price to help overcome reluctance to change. This is called marketing. As time goes on, price is adjusted to optimize and achieve the desired ROI.

Carnival gives the option to eat with the majority, or to pay for the luxury of living in the past. The cost of living in the past increases faster than inflation in general. It is why we don't have the luxury ocean liners of days gone by - people wouldn't pay the price necessary.

Journey cruises with their throw back sea day is one way for old time Carnival cruisers to feel some nostalgia (and age). A day from the past blended with the present.

If someone is dissatisfied with Carnival, the problem is not Carnival's or with Carnival.

Originally posted by BlerkOne
If someone is dissatisfied with Carnival, the problem is not Carnival's or with Carnival.

Oh?

I think Blerk's comment is aimed to get people to focus on themselves, instead of external stimuli. If someone can adjust to that way of thinking, Blerk is right because we can take our business elsewhere and assuming we find a better product or service, WE remove the dissatisfaction.

For example, I do love cruising Carnival but hate most Lido deck and MDR food. To avoid dissatisfaction with food, which is very important to me, I eat at the pay-for restaurants and am totally satisfied! :)

Ok, maybe you don't get my point....if you don't like it, don't go!!. You really want to beat this to death about 3 dollars??? Most cruisers don't care about a tablecloth nor want a 2 hour dining experience nowadays.

Perhaps it is you that needs to move along or accept the changes. I could care less if you had 1 or 1000 cruises. Things change, sometimes to what we want and sometimes not. That's when you decide if its acceptable to you and if not...move along to something that is. Sorry you are not finding the experience you once had, but that is the nature of change. Many like it (obviously since Carnival is doing very well) and some don't, so they find something that matches what they are looking for. I rarely hear of someone who wants an upscale experience in dining choosing carnival.

I am no idiot and I am not insinuating that you are, so please don't stoop to that.

Name me one product or service that has not gone up in price in 5 years?

In all my years of sailing Carnival, I am very happy with the product they offer and the price I pay. I just booked a week long cruise on the Legend in the Caribbean in a premium balcony room for 2000 for 3 people. That is GREAT value and I enjoy every thing it offers. And from that point I step on board, it is all my choice as to where/when or if I will have to spend even one more dime on anything

The price has been very steady or even a bit lower since I started cruising in 2009. I remember paying 2400 for 3 people in 2011 in a balcony. So YES, the value is there and if you don't think so...why would you even bother with carnival. You don't dictate prices.

If you didn't like an item/price at kohls...would you whine about it on a public message board or just find something you actually like at a different store?

Edited by bingomamma19

It is called supply and demand, and exists in virtually every business there is. To all of the internet experts who think a business should exist "the way it was," would be put out of business if they ran one themselves. You'd be surprised how many people are quite content with the current model. Prices are low, and the food is actually sufficient for many. Then there's additional choices for those who want it.

Do I think $76 is a lot for the Steakhouse. Yes. Especially when the alternative is a free meal. However, I think it's a fantastic choice for those who want it. I have it booked in the future. Much rather spend my money on that for a special occasion than FTTF or Cheers to be honest.

Oh?

Exactly. Carnival can't please everyone, but they do a fantastic job with the majority of their target market. They aren't going to kowtow to grumpy cruisers; they know who butters their bread. Grumpy cruisers need to adapt or move on.

For example, your moving on has had zero impact on Carnival's bottom line - especially since you stayed within the family. A win-win for Corp.

Exactly. Carnival can't please everyone, but they do a fantastic job with the majority of their target market. They aren't going to kowtow to grumpy cruisers; they know who butters their bread. Grumpy cruisers need to adapt or move on.

For example, your moving on has had zero impact on Carnival's bottom line - especially since you stayed within the family. A win-win for Corp.

Although you are correct as Carnival cannot please everyone, you must understand the cause of dissatisfaction can be directly created from the experience provided by the cruise operator. In some cases, it isn’t the guest who is looking for a reason to be upset. When you’re providing an experience that is unique to each passenger, there’s a high probability that some passengers may experience service failures, maintenance issues or even simple incompetency. It’s impossible for Carnival to provide a perfect experience 100% of the time to 100% of the passengers onboard but how they react and recover is how they can either build or disrupt loyalty.