FLL Marina Marriott will no longer be a Marriott...

TrentS

I knew the hotel was for sale, but apparently they've found a buyer and I just noticed this on the Marina Marriott's website... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLFL

"Effective Saturday February 25, 2006 the Fort Lauderdale Marina Marriott will exit the Marriott system and begin operations as an independent hotel. Note: Marriott Rewards redemption reservations are no longer being accepted for February 24, 2006 and beyond. "

Here's an article in a local business paper about the sale... http://southflorida.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stories/2006/01/09/daily10.html

I have fond memories of our stays at the Marriott Marina. Glad I had the opportunity to stay there. Can't wait to see what becomes of the property and under what name. Going to go read the article now. Thanks for the info Trent.:)

Most big chain hotels aren't owned by the chain but by independent companies that fly the particular hotel's flag. For example, Marriott owns a couple of Hyatt hotels but Hyatt is not part of Marriott.

With the location, the hotel really doesn't need the security of a major brand.

Were there ever quality issues with this hotel? Reason being sometimes hotels are sold when in danger of losing their flag.

I don't know of any issues that would cause them to lose their flag... It's getting on in years, and could use a major remodeling, but it wasn't that bad. My guess is that with the property values going through the roof in the past few years down here the owners simply wanted to cash out.

Wondering what hotel chain bought it. Hope they still do Priceline.

Please keep us posted.

As Blue Herons said, most hotels are not owned by the chain who's name is on the door. The major hotel brands are just franchises.

Not only are most hotels owned by independant companies, but many hotels are now being converted to, or being built as, "condo-hotels" - meaning that each room is owned by an individual investor. In the ones I'm familiar with, you as a room owner, have the right to stay in the room for a set period of time per year (up to 2 months per year in the ones I'm familiar with), but can not live there year round or use it as your permanent address. The rest of the time the rooms must be in the rental pool. You as a hotel guest would never know the difference though. In Fort Lauderdale alone The Atlantic, Doubletree Galleria, and the new (currently under construction) Fort Lauderdale Beach Hilton, W Hotel, St. Regis, and Trump International are all condo hotels.

From the South Florida Business Journal;

A potential buyer could be New York-based Blackstone Group, a private investment firm that bought Boca Resorts from H. Wayne Huizenga last year.

That move gave Blackstone ownership of the Boca Raton Resort and Club, the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six Hotel and Marina and the Radisson Bahia Mar Resort and Yachting Center, among other properties.

When asked if the company was in talks to buy the Marina Marriott, John Ford, vice president of corporate communications at Blackstone, declined comment.

Buying the hotel would not only further cement the company's portfolio in South Florida, it would also give Blackstone a greater share of the area's prime real estate - its marinas.

I concur with the SFBJ

Archived