Smart Phones

Happy2cruise

Skype is video calls.

---

WiFi Calling and WhatsApp are texts and voice calls. WiFi Calling is built into

smartphones, including iPhones. WhatsApp is an app you download, and it

even comes in a flavor now for Android phones.

Both use your smartphone's wi-fi radio instead of its cellular radio for the "last

mile" to stay out of the clutches of the ship's piratical-rates cell tower.

WiFi Calling sends it's packets over the internet to your cellular carrier's UMA

port. Some carriers, notably the Aussies, don't have UMA ports so if you're

signed up with one of them, WiFi Calling won't work.

The WhatsApp app sends it's packets to Facebook, who likely data-mines

them before forwarding them: "If it's free online, you are the product".

I wouldn't touch WhatsApp with the proverbial eleven-foot Egyptian.

Given the two, I prefer Skype.

When you say “WiFi Calling is built into

smartphones, including iPhones.” what exactly does this mean?Are you saying I can somehow make calls and send texts by way of some “built in” within my iPhone and don’t need Skype, WhatsApp or another ap?

When you say “WiFi Calling is built into smartphones, including iPhones.” what exactly does this mean?Are you saying I can somehow make calls and send texts by way of some “built in” within my iPhone and don’t need Skype, WhatsApp or another ap?

Yep.

Assuming your cellphone carrier supports "WiFi Calling". Ask them. Most do.

Assuming your smartphone supports "WiFi Calling":

• Android: Settings > Connections > Advanced Calling > WiFi Calling > [ON]

• iPhone: Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling > [ON]

You may get a "the phone company knows where you are" popup to acknowledge.

You may get a "please tell us your location for 911" popup to fill out.

After that, your smartphone uses cell towers if available, then tries WiFi. For both

incoming and outgoing traffic. Just turn Airplane Mode on, turn WiFi back on, and

log onto the ship's internet when you come aboard.

Did I mention to be absolutely sure Airplane Mode is on while on board? Remember,

your smartphone will use a cell tower in preference to WiFi if it's allowed to. Missing

that check will get expensive if the cell tower in question is the ship's cell tower.

Yep.

• iPhone: Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling > [.

I just looked at Settings and Phone and there is no option for WiFi Calling.

Mine is a 5s. Is this something available on newer iPhones?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm an Android guy. :rolleyes:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032 says

"To use Wi-Fi Calling, you need an iPhone 5c or later."

Ask your carrier if "5c" is before or after "5s". You need to talk to them

anyway to see if the problem is that they don't support WiFi Calling.

Putting my phone in Airplane Mode, turns wifi off. I have purchased the "Medallionnet Premium Package 14-Day" for wife's phone and for mine.

Won't I need wifi to access the package I purchased? If I put phones in Airplane Mode, and wifi is turned off, how then do I access this purchased Medallionnet internet package with with no wifi? They are clearly advertising it as internet not intranet.

Internet Access - Purchase Pre-Cruise And Save!

After you put it in Airplane mode, turn WiFi ON. Same if you want to use Bluetooth

That is by far the easiest method to use. Some will say to simply disable data but many don't know how to do that. Simply going into Airplane Mode and then turning WiFi back on does exactly the same thing and most folks can figure that out without any problem.

The problem with just turning on cellular data is, you can still get cell calls. And on board, they can be expensive.

Yep.

• iPhone: Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling > [ON]

You may get a "the phone company knows where you are" popup to acknowledge.

You may get a "please tell us your location for 911" popup to fill out.

After that, your smartphone uses cell towers if available, then tries WiFi. For both

incoming and outgoing traffic. Just turn Airplane Mode on, turn WiFi back on, and

log onto the ship's internet when you come aboard.

Did I mention to be absolutely sure Airplane Mode is on while on board? Remember,

your smartphone will use a cell tower in preference to WiFi if it's allowed to. Missing

that check will get expensive if the cell tower in question is the ship's cell tower.

Actually, it will connect to wifi if there is a network it has been connected to, and use that even if cellular is available.

For me, when I get home, my phone connects automatically to my home network, and then all calls are wifi calling.

I think 5S supports it.

If you like the 5S size and form factor, but wanted updated phone, get an SE. It is a 5 size, but 6 internals, except the camera is still the 5 camera.

From online:

Set connection preference

• From the Home screen, tap Settings.
  • Tap Phone.
  • Tap Wi-Fi Calls.
  • Tap the slider next to Allow Wi-Fi Calls to turn Wi-Fi Calling on.
  • Tap Update Emergency Address.
  • Enter your E911 address and tap Save.

But your carriers needs to support it. T-Mobile, ATT, and Verizon do. Other carriers you will have to check with them

Actually, it will connect to wifi if there is a network it has been connected to, and use that even if cellular is available.

I didn't know some (Android?) phones allowed you to chose whether to prefer WiFi

or cell tower. Mine only allows WiFi over cell tower if it's a roaming cell tower.

Learned something. Thanks.

I'd still double-check Airplane Mode anytime I were near a ship's cell tower :rolleyes:

Another piece of advice is to make sure you lock your phone/password protect it. Today we got a bill from our carrier from our cruise 3 weeks ago that showed 4 calls dialed one after the other and a voice mail sent from my husbands phone while out to sea. We were charged the $5.99 per minute for the Cellular at Sea cost.

We left our phones in the room in airplane mode on the charger while we were out to dinner and shows and someone accessed the phone. We had free international texting and data from our carrier so we communicated that way while in port and KNOW we didn't voice call anyone. We called our carrier and they kindly reversed the charges.

Just switched to the world of smart phones and have a question. Read that the ships have free wifi, is that true and if so how does that work when at sea? Have a limited data plan so want to be careful.

Any help and/or info would be greatly appreciated!

Another piece of advice is to make sure you lock your phone/password protect it. Today we got a bill from our carrier from our cruise 3 weeks ago that showed 4 calls dialed one after the other and a voice mail sent from my husbands phone while out to sea. We were charged the $5.99 per minute for the Cellular at Sea cost.

We left our phones in the room in airplane mode on the charger while we were out to dinner and shows and someone accessed the phone. We had free international texting and data from our carrier so we communicated that way while in port and KNOW we didn't voice call anyone. We called our carrier and they kindly reversed the charges.

I hope you also let the cruise line know.

I think 5S supports it.

If you like the 5S size and form factor, but wanted updated phone, get an SE. It is a 5 size, but 6 internals, except the camera is still the 5 camera.

From online:

Set connection preference

•  
  • From the Home screen, tap Settings.

• Tap Phone.

• Tap Wi-Fi Calls.

• Tap the slider next to Allow Wi-Fi Calls to turn Wi-Fi Calling on.

• Tap Update Emergency Address.

• Enter your E911 address and tap Save.

But your carriers needs to support it. T-Mobile, ATT, and Verizon do. Other carriers you will have to check with them

I have AT&T, but my Phone under Settings doesn’t mention WiFi at all.

Tomorrow is another day, I’ll work on it then.

Incidentally, Princess's onboard system is FAR superior to Disney's app. We recently went on Disney with grandkids. The Disney app worked on milady's Android phone, but isn't available for my Windows phone and did not work on either of our Android tablets. Princess, once again, just does it better!!

When DH & I went on DCL as well as Princess both my (Android) and his (iPhone) worked.