Vantage Douro Cruise Review--Finally

FuelScience

I enjoyed every word. The pictures were top notch, also. Cruiser #1 and Cruiser #2 seem to be having a wonderful time.

Delighted that you're back on track health wise.

I second that! We leave in 1 1/2 weeks and it was great to get the day by day itinerary. One question: Even though this is our second Douro river cruise, the tour to Guimaraes was not included in the previous trip. We have the option of a walking tour of Porto or to take the optional tour to Guimaraes. What would be your opinion as to these choices? Like you - seeing another cathedral or old city at this point would probably be a lot of repetition.

We are sorry that the Pestana Palace is not our destination hotel in Lisbon. It looks beautiful.

Cole

I second that! We leave in 1 1/2 weeks and it was great to get the day by day itinerary. One question: Even though this is our second Douro river cruise, the tour to Guimaraes was not included in the previous trip. We have the option of a walking tour of Porto or to take the optional tour to Guimaraes. What would be your opinion as to these choices? Like you - seeing another cathedral or old city at this point would probably be a lot of repetition.

We are sorry that the Pestana Palace is not our destination hotel in Lisbon. It looks beautiful.

Cole

Cole,

I think that I would do the walking tour of Porto. Guimares was something of a disappointment for me. We just walked around the town a little--didn't really go inside any significant buildings. After the walk we were turned loose to shop for a while before getting back on the bus to return to Porto.

Cole,

I think that I would do the walking tour of Porto. Guimares was something of a disappointment for me. We just walked around the town a little--didn't really go inside any significant buildings. After the walk we were turned loose to shop for a while before getting back on the bus to return to Porto.

Thanks so much - I was thinking the same thing, but it is always good to get a first hand opinion.

Cole

Cole,

Thank you for your great summary of this cruise. We are departing in less than 1 week with a group of friends on the "Harvest" version same Vantage cruise and I will be forwarding your experience to our group.We are in our early to mid 60's and in good health, and hoping "average age" doesn't affect our experience and that possibly a "slow walker group" is added.;)

Wishing you well,

Mike

Cole,

Thank you for your great summary of this cruise. We are departing in less than 1 week with a group of friends on the "Harvest" version same Vantage cruise and I will be forwarding your experience to our group.We are in our early to mid 60's and in good health, and hoping "average age" doesn't affect our experience and that possibly a "slow walker group" is added.;)

Wishing you well,

Mike

No Mike, I was not the one who did the excellent summary - it was Fuel Science and so appreciated it. I think you may be on the same cruise as we are, the Harvest version. We did this cruise a couple of years ago in the spring and thought returning in the fall, particularly during harvest time would be a great and beautiful experience. We are from Arkansas and another couple from Tennessee will be join up with us in Atlanta to travel to Madrid.

Cole

Cole,

Wishing you well,

Mike

The slow walking issue won't be a big one. The only places I can think of where it might be an issue would be on the optional walking tour of Porto, the optional Toledo excursion, and the Salamanca tour. Even those tours have limited walking (Porto may be an exception--significant hills). The other excursions involved minimal walking. I highly recommend the optional Toledo excursion. It was a highlight for us.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mrs Clooney said:

Thank you. I nice reminder and better photos than mine. I only got back one week ago and have forgotten so much already.  

Hope your health has improved. 

Feeling good. Was yours a "harvest cruise?" Did you stomp any grapes?

I also want to thank you for the review and happy to see you are doing well.

I am seriously considering this itinerary and the pictures are wonderful:classic_biggrin:....I didn't realize it is a bus ride to get to the excursions but it looks like the scenery is awesome.  I have never visited these places before and I am thinking about going in April 2019 with AMA Waterways.