Early Flight Experience - Allure

JamesEM

That is the disembarkation option where you carry off all your own bags, no crew to help or carts or porters until you are off the ship.

Okay, that's what I thought. Do you know what time they usually start letting people disembark? I haven't been on a cruise in a few years. The next flight I was considering is at around 10:20 a.m., but it costs more. I'd do it if the 9:50 a.m. is too early. I don't want to stress about missing my flight. Thanks for your help!

Okay, that's what I thought. Do you know what time they usually start letting people disembark? I haven't been on a cruise in a few years. The next flight I was considering is at around 10:20 a.m., but it costs more. I'd do it if the 9:50 a.m. is too early. I don't want to stress about missing my flight. Thanks for your help!

If there are no delays, the first self-assist people start getting off around 45 minutes after arrival.

Don't know if this is common or I lucked out with everything working out well for me.

This is extremely common. Which is why I chuckle a little at the people saying you took some big risk. What you did is pretty much normal. I actually go down at 6:45 as the line has dissipated by then so you just walk right off. We live 20 minutes from the port and we are home before 7:20 when sailing Oasis-class out of Fort Lauderdale.

A 9:30 flight is pretty easy to make in these circumstances.

Thanks for sharing your experience OP. I just want to note for those who may see this later. OP docked in Port Everglades, (Fort Lauderdale), and flew from the Fort Lauderdale airport. Starting in November, Allure will be sailing from Miami, so that difference will need to be considered for anyone looking at flights then.

This is extremely common. Which is why I chuckle a little at the people saying you took some big risk. What you did is pretty much normal. I actually go down at 6:45 as the line has dissipated by then so you just walk right off. We live 20 minutes from the port and we are home before 7:20 when sailing Oasis-class out of Fort Lauderdale.

A 9:30 flight is pretty easy to make in these circumstances.

You are correct, but I still consider a big risk as for consequences, but perhaps low on percentage of problems. I haven't heard what happens to people who do miss the flight, how expensive getting a new ticket is. I'm still use to the golden days of missing one flight and taking your ticket to a competing airline with no problems. I've mainly been flying Southwest ouf of FLL, so I haven't had to worry . Earliest flights seem to be mid afternoon.

We just got off Allure on 9/23 and this was the best self assist disembarkation we have done. There was a window of 0630-0800 to get off and we got down about 0720 and walked straight off. Opening an exit via the dining room was a good move, gave everyone room to walk, rather than snaking around narrow hallways like they did last time we tried it. Our flight choices were at 1015 or wait until 1630 so the choice was easy.

I made a 9:15AM flight with no problem when on Allure a few years ago. We were among the last off the ship for the self disembark groups and were sitting at the gate at 8:15AM. I was busy doing laundry by the time the next flight would've been boarding, so I was happy!

So it seems like the port is pretty close to the Ft. Lauderdale airport. I was wondering if it was worth booking ground transportation to and from the airport through Royal Caribbean or just taking a taxi. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Taxi, Uber, Lyft. Taxi would be around $20.

• 7 months later...
On 9/26/2018 at 9:56 AM, Host Clarea said:

Not if you are first in the self-assist line.

Bob:  i hate to hijack this thread, .......my airline had a schedule change and my return flight from san juan is now 9:56 a.m. with no other flights that day except early early a.m. back to home airport with that particular airline.  Can we make it?  and now flights to another airport are almost double UGH  

3 minutes ago, RunnerGurl615 said:

Bob:  i hate to hijack this thread, .......my airline had a schedule change and my return flight from san juan is now 9:56 a.m. with no other flights that day except early early a.m. back to home airport with that particular airline.  Can we make it?  and now flights to another airport are almost double UGH  

What ship and what is the scheduled arrival time?

1 hour ago, RunnerGurl615 said:

Freedom 6 a.m.

If you are first in line for self-assist departure, and take a taxi to the airport, you should be able to make it.

• Like 1

Isn't the airport only 15 minutes away in San Juan?  This sounds like an ideal flight time actually.  Just do self assist, you'll still spend a couple hours in the airport waiting. 

We always do self assist and have not had a problem yet.  Many times we've gotten to the airport before we could even check in.  We like self assist because it's just less hectic finding luggage and getting a cab... even if we have an 11am or later flight.  No, never have any stress... just know that somehow getting home will happen... one of the joys of being retired and not having stressors at home waiting for us!

5 minutes ago, twincheryl said:

We always do self assist and have not had a problem yet.  Many times we've gotten to the airport before we could even check in.  We like self assist because it's just less hectic finding luggage and getting a cab... even if we have an 11am or later flight.  No, never have any stress... just know that somehow getting home will happen... one of the joys of being retired and not having stressors at home waiting for us!

I am not retired but do not having anything to rush home for but that being said, my flight was changed by airline from 10:41 to 9:56.  I wasnt stressed for the 10:41 flight but 9:56 made me a lil nervous

I like to chime in when someone thinks everything goes smoothly on debarkation day .

We had a jumper on the last night of the cruise and the Oasis was delayed arriving at FLL .

What`s that term the military uses …. cluster**** . Total disaster next morning trying to self dis embark .

Thousands of people on the promenade , and nobody was getting off . 

I never book a flight before noon so I was ok , but there was a few nervous people that morning.

That said , there were never any other delays I have experienced , so you should be ok . 

Edited by loman
spelling mistake