Aft balcony: Opinions & experiences!

LX19

Hello,

Looking into a specific itinerary next summer, and they only have deck 9- aft balconies left. Aft, as in the rear, with the deep balconies. My concerns about booking an aft room are vibration, closets opening & shutting, anchor dropping, etc. Also, will I be breathing in the ship's exhaust of any kind? If you would kindly reply with your experiences or opinions, I would appreciate it. Thank you :)

Which ship?

We had an aft balcony cabin on Preziosa for the TA from Brazil to Europe. We absolutely loved it, though there was some vibration that you don't experience elsewhere and a lot of shuddering when arriving into ports in the mornings.

I had a deck 9, aft balcony on the Splendida a few years ago. Don't know which ship you are referring to. The balcony was standard size, but we loved the location and views from the rear. There was no noise or vibrations. It was a long way to walk to some parts of the ship.

We had an aft balcony on Divina in July ‘17. You almost always deal with vibrations when docking, but that has never really bothered us. I will say, however, that there was no breeze on an aft balcony, so even when the balcony wasn’t in direct sunlight, it would get very hot very fast. Our balcony was next to the exterior staircase on the side of the ship, so I would find myself leaning over the balcony railing by the partition to catch some of the breeze passing through the stairwell. Of course, the view is great, but if you’re planning to spend long periods of time on the balcony, you might be disappointed.IMG_7546.thumb.JPG.d94c205451719486ce17850e03cf90d8.JPG

Which ship?

We had an aft balcony cabin on Preziosa for the TA from Brazil to Europe. We absolutely loved it, though there was some vibration that you don't experience elsewhere and a lot of shuddering when arriving into ports in the mornings.

Ship: Magnifica

I don’t think the vibrations would bother me as much as breathing in pollution. Did you experience any of that?

We had an aft balcony on Divina in July ‘17. You almost always deal with vibrations when docking, but that has never really bothered us. I will say, however, that there was no breeze on an aft balcony, so even when the balcony wasn’t in direct sunlight, it would get very hot very fast. Our balcony was next to the exterior staircase on the side of the ship, so I would find myself leaning over the balcony railing by the partition to catch some of the breeze passing through the stairwell. Of course, the view is great, but if you’re planning to spend long periods of time on the balcony, you might be disappointed.[ATTACH]429315[/ATTACH]

Your room is precisely the one I was looking at (same balcony), but on deck 9. During docking, did the anchor wake you out of your sleep? I could sleep through anything😂, so I’m more concerned about my husband who happens to be a very light sleeper.

I don’t think the vibrations would bother me as much as breathing in pollution. Did you experience any of that?

No ... we spent a lot of time on the balcony; it was so relaxing watching the wake. I don't think I'd have spent quite so much time there if I'd had any sense of pollution from the funnel.

I've got a deck 10 aft cabin on Magnifica sailing end of October so will be able to report back in November if that will be any use to you

Pete

Your room is precisely the one I was looking at (same balcony), but on deck 9. During docking, did the anchor wake you out of your sleep? I could sleep through anything[emoji23], so I’m more concerned about my husband who happens to be a very light sleeper.

The anchor is in the front, so no. We have done several “aft wrap” rooms on Carnival and Celebrity (a room on the back corner of the ship with a balcony that wraps around the corner of the ship). Those are amazing because you can see both where you’re going and where you’ve been, and the breeze is fantastic. I know we smelled smoke from the ship at times on those cruises (not bad), but I don’t remember if we noticed it on the balcony of the Divina. I just remember the stifling heat on the Divina balcony. There’s always a little more vibration in the back, but it always lulled us to sleep—until you pull into port and the whole room starts to vibrate. We were in an aft suite on the Carnival Legend that shook like crazy when we were docking. Cracked us up. I told my wife that in old cheap hotels, people used to put coins in the bed to make it vibrate like ours did on that ship—came included for free with our suite!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello,

Looking into a specific itinerary next summer, and they only have deck 9- aft balconies left. Aft, as in the rear, with the deep balconies. My concerns about booking an aft room are vibration, closets opening & shutting, anchor dropping, etc. Also, will I be breathing in the ship's exhaust of any kind? If you would kindly reply with your experiences or opinions, I would appreciate it. Thank you :)

I never understood why people love those cabins. It's always stink and vibrate in the back of ship. :confused:

We had an aft facing, deck 10, cabin on Fantasia for our repositioning cruise from Barbados to Genoa in April. The ship travelled very quickly across the Atlantic and sometimes it was so windy on the Promenade deck you could barely stand but all was calm and serene on our balcony. It was quite hypnotic to just sit and watch the wake. Because it was so long we could move to the back of the balcony out of the sun at the hottest part of the day.

Some noise from the thrusters during docking but didn't usually last very long and the occasional cigarette butt blown back from the civil people throwing them into the sea from the decks above but no soot or fumes of any kind.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Forums mobile app

Ship: Meraviglia

We had an Aft balcony, floor 14, in April 2018. It was a Super Family joining Balcony cabin, I believe. No fumes at all. Absolutely loved the balcony. As others have mentioned, yeah you could hear some noise when docking - but nothing too terribly loud. I think we even left the sliding door open most of the time.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, HSNY said:

Thank you so much. I would appreciate it!

WE had an aft balcony on deck 10 on Magnifica.

We had no problems with smoke from the exhaust. either direct smoke or smuts of soot.

WE did get to feel some vibration when the were docking and it was accompanied by a certain amount of noise

another observation was that at certain  revs of the props there was a noticeable sideways rocking motion which had a frequency of 1 to 2 cycles per second. We have experienced this motion on other ships and it could be felt throughout the ship.

We heard no noise from opening closets and  we did not anchor at any port so can't say whether there would be any disturbance .I suspect that the anchor being dropped would have no affect on an aft cabin.

hope this oi useful;

Pete

Gorgeous views.

Lots of movement felt every day....very rocky and seas were smooth 

We had deck 15 AFT on SEASIDE.

Lots of noise from upper pool deck chairs.

Lots of cabin space.

Huge bathroom.

Hard to get to balcony with pull out BED open. 

No smell.

Nice breezes!!!!!!