Do you book excursions thru HAL?

Beachfrog

Who do you book excursions with?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you book excursions with?

• EXC tours
    • Outside groups

One other comment...

Absolutely, categorically the best guide we've ever had was our guide in St. Petersburg for a Princess Cruise Line's two-day tour of the city. So I would never underestimate what the cruise lines may offer on their tours. Really, all one can do is research, research, research some more -- then jump in and enjoy however things pan out.

One other comment...

Absolutely, categorically the best guide we've ever had was our guide in St. Petersburg for a Princess Cruise Line's two-day tour of the city. So I would never underestimate what the cruise lines may offer on their tours. Really, all one can do is research, research, research some more -- then jump in and enjoy however things pan out.

We are all shaped by our previous experiences. :) I'd have to say that my private guide in St. Petersburg was also one of the 2-3 best guides I've ever had. Maybe St. Petersburg just does a great job of training their licensed guides. ;)

(I'll also say that my two worst tour guides ever were on ship tours -- one on HAL, one on Princess -- those experiences were what finally drove me to my decision to DIY whenever possible, or take private tours, a decade ago.)

We are all shaped by our previous experiences. :) I'd have to say that my private guide in St. Petersburg was also one of the 2-3 best guides I've ever had. Maybe St. Petersburg just does a great job of training their licensed guides. ;)

(I'll also say that my two worst tour guides ever were on ship tours -- one on HAL, one on Princess -- those experiences were what finally drove me to my decision to DIY whenever possible, or take private tours, a decade ago.)

Oh, I'm so sorry you've had bad experiences.

Not sure about "training" of the St. Petersburg guides. Ours just had an amazing personal history and was really smart, so she could weave personal experience in with basic information in an interesting and appropriate way. Not sure you could teach anyone that.

But again, we've had good and bad in all the kinds of shore days. DIY is great in some places -- the small towns of New Zealand come to mind there.

I do like to be flexible in shore day planning, as in all else in life.