New to Holland, would appreciate input

momK

We are an almost-60yo couple, Elite on Princess, and have gone on the Prinsendam once in 2006. We are seriously considering a 14-day Alaska cruise in 2019 on the Amsterdam. We usually cruise in balconies or suites, but are open to pretty much anything. (I spent my teen years in Anchorage, and we have been on 6 AK cruises since moving to MI.)

The suite prices are $$$$$! Has anyone been in both a Princess suite and Holland suite, and can you compare/contrast the two?

We like the aft of the ship, especially aft-facing. I see that the Amsterdam doesn't have many of those. I have looked at and considered:

Verandah (6) and Navigation (7) deck aft insides, near the aft viewing deck

Main (2) deck oceanview aft-facing cabins, near the aft viewing decks 2 and 3

Lower Promenade (3) Lanai cabins

balconies on the Verandah (6) deck

Neptune suites on Naviagation (7) deck

Even when it is cold, I love sitting out on the balcony watching Alaska go by. Without a balcony, I would hope to find something near a viewing deck with chairs.

Anyone want to chime in with comments to help me with my decision?

Have a look at aft facing OV on deck 7 (7055 and 7056).7056 has the best view. These are smaller, oddly shaped rooms but we were very comfortable in 7056. Loved having 'our' big deck just outside the window. Google Amsterdam 7056 for photos.

The Neptune Suites on the Amsterdam are very nice.

Large, private veandah -- 2 lounge chairs and a regular size table with 4 chairs if you want to eat out there.

What kind of suite perks does Holland have? It is an awful lot of money to plunk down, even though they do look nice!

What kind of suite perks does Holland have? It is an awful lot of money to plunk down, even though they do look nice!

We haven't stayed in a suite since April 2017. I recall getting the following items, but some of it could have changed, so I hope someone else will chime in if that's the case.

Suite passengers receive priority check-in, flowers, wine, and champagne in the room, special reception, sometimes with officers, Neptune Lounge, a privately accessed area with concierge who can arrange dining, excursions, spa treatments, and can handle complaints, print boarding passes for flight home etc. Lounge also has special treats and coffee/drinks during the day. One of the most pleasant things about the lounge, IMO, is meeting other suite passengers, most of whom are well-traveled and very pleasant.

You can also ask your room steward to deliver afternoon tea or before dinner snacks to your cabin. The suite comes with umbrella and binoculars (if those are important to you) and extra Elemis products. Suites, as you can see from deck plans, are large with bathrooms that have double vanities and in most cases a tub and separate shower. We received priority tendering and dining reservations. A very pleasant perk, at least to us, was the breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. The menu is the same as for the MDR, but we enjoyed the small, quiet space with excellent service. Now that some of the breakfast items on the room service menu cost, suites get these items free. On formal nights, ladies and gentlemen get flowers to wear, if they so desire. I'm sure I've forgotten something. You can find a more complete list on HA site. Enjoy your cruise and suite.

Have a look at aft facing OV on deck 7 (7055 and 7056).7056 has the best view. These are smaller, oddly shaped rooms but we were very comfortable in 7056. Loved having 'our' big deck just outside the window. Google Amsterdam 7056 for photos.

Did you have any problems with noise from the Lido (late at night or early morning). I read a review recently where people complained about it. We are in 7055 to Alaska next year.

Did you have any problems with noise from the Lido (late at night or early morning). I read a review recently where people complained about it. We are in 7055 to Alaska next year.

No. We had no problems with noise. We were in 7056 for 26 days including Panama Canal and Alaska.

I vote for the Lanai on LP. We did the 14-day itinerary this past August on the Zaandam (same basic floorplan, different re Lanai cabins), in five partially obstructed OVs just aft of the midship elevator-stairwell. They were SO convenient to the boardwalk (AKA the biggest balcony on the ship) -- I would take any lanai on the Amsterdam in a minute, having just checked their locations.

We stayed in a mini-suite on the Pacific Princess last fall for a transatlantic. We were not real happy with our room or the ship in general. Some things just seemed very cheap. Our steward was very good though.

On HAL we love the Neptune Suites. I know it's not quite apples and apples. On a long cruise the free laundry alone makes it worth it to us. The Neptune Lounge is a relaxing getaway with the ever changing hors d'oeuvres and treats. The Pinnacle Grill makes for an easy no worry or hurry breakfast. You'll never feel closed in with all the square footage in the room and large bathrooms and balcony.

Our last cruise on Princess was in a suite and then in 2 weeks, we headed onto a HAL ship.

Equivalent price back then but what a difference in the room on HAL. No comparison.

Perks have been posted but as far as space went, I far preferred HAL's.

But in all honesty a suite is not a necessity unless you like space. And, yes Amsterdam's will be pricey as there are not a lot.

If it's not a priority, another option is to book a different cabin that you would be happy with and let your TA, whomever know you are open to upsells IF they are the type to work on that with you, recognizing that if the category is sold out, it will be gone, but, usually there are a few on some cruises and it can be a cost savings. But you need to have a price in mind and move quickly ;)

Guess what? We are able to adjust our schedule, and now have 7056 for the 8/12-26/19 cruise!!! :)

Guess what? We are able to adjust our schedule, and now have 7056 for the 8/12-26/19 cruise!!! :)

Congratulations on getting your choice of stateroom.

Let me add another recommendation. On our Alaska cruise we booked at the first opportunity our voyage-long access to the Greenhouse Spa's hydro pool and thermal lounges. I found the thermal lounge chairs to die for. On our subsequent Mexican Riviera cruise it didn't add much, and I thereupon decided to hold off on the thermal lounge except for colder-weather itineraries (i.e., Alaska and northern Europe).

Congratulations on getting your choice of stateroom.

Let me add another recommendation. On our Alaska cruise we booked at the first opportunity our voyage-long access to the Greenhouse Spa's hydro pool and thermal lounges. I found the thermal lounge chairs to die for. On our subsequent Mexican Riviera cruise it didn't add much, and I thereupon decided to hold off on the thermal lounge except for colder-weather itineraries (i.e., Alaska and northern Europe).

Thanks for the recommendation, Bob, but I think I'll pass. I have MS (multiple sclerosis) and am very heat sensitive. We have had to give up Caribbean cruising because of it, but I love the cool of Alaska! I am out on the balcony for hours each day, and will put on a jacket and/or blanket if it gets too cool or windy.