Leaving out of Hamburg, Arriving in Kiel

Stella1250

Our Baltic cruise on QV next July leaves out of Hamburg, but returns to Kiel. I see that it is not that far a distance between them, but wonder about the logistics of getting back to Hamburg airport for our flight home. We have not booked those flights yet, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Anita.

Cunard's US web site is offering a post-voyage transfer from Kiel on your voyage called "Group Transfer Port to Airport" for $120 per person. It doesn't specifically state which airport, but I would image that would be Hamburg airport (the pre-voyage transfer for Hamburg on that voyage called "Group Transfer Airport to Port" is $40 per person). Assuming that post-voyage transfer does indeed go to Hamburg airport, that might be an option for you to consider if that sounds more attractive than arranging a DIY alternative.

That does sound good. Before the cruise, we are contemplating visiting friends in Frankfurt and taking the train to Hamburg. I guess we would arrive on Sunday for the Tuesday cruise. That gives us a few days in Frankfurt to visit. The airfare is not too much more for the multi city flights.

you must be very careful - the road Kiel to Hamburg is very busy and they are doing ample works on that road -

last year and this year as well

i never took a private car as most of the time i had complimentary coach transfers

you must count on one hour and a half ! in the best case -

you also can take a train but then you must change in Hamburg to the S bahn to the airport ( what is some 30 minutes )

the station is some 10 minutes away from the terminal by taxi

i always take a late afternoon flight !

i do not get any commission but the Radisson Blu airport is very convenient

there are a few others around the airport

for the center of Hamburg there is a wide choice in all categories

i stayed overthere quite a few times in the Radisson

for 3.3 € you can reach the center of Hamburg - exit Jungfernstieg by S bahn

i disadvice to stay overnight in Kiel

Getting to Hamburg by train is easy: A Regional Express train takes about 1h15.

That said: There is a local ticket called the Schleswig-Holstein Ticket, which costs € 32 for two persons per day. (1pax 29, 3pax 35, 4pax 38) This would save you about $200 compared to the service offered by Cunard. https://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/regio/regionale-tickets/schholst/schleswig-holstein-ticket.shtml

It is valid on all regional trains in Schleswig-Holstein, the S-Bahn in Hamburg (also to the airport) and even the Hamburger Hochbahn (subway - Chicago style in some parts) and most city buses. Its valid from 9am Monday to Friday, and all day weekends.

You can buy this ticket at any ticketing machine of Deutsche Bahn. BE AWARE THAT IT IS NOT VALID ON LONG DISTANCE TRAINS OF THE ICE/IC/EC CATEGORIES (the white ones), but only on regional trains (the red ones), but there's not much difference in travel time. For timetables have a look at: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

If you think about going to Frankfurt by train, you could use the same website. There's a nice feature called Save-Fare Finder, which will get you the cheapest ticket for any given day.

Frankfurt has one of the largest airports in Europe with flights going almost anywhere. I recommend you to have a look at a flight back home from there. It might even be cheaper to fly to Frankfurt and take the train up to Hamburg at the beginning of the cruise.