UBP Price Increase

TheDougOut

Hello- I was on a cruise with the both of you either 2013/2014 to Bermuda; I would say compared to then on my Breakaway ships where I lucked out with stewards- that I never saw my steward- perhaps once on my Escape trips this year. In fact my service on the Escape a few weeks ago was dreadful- requests for towels ignored; request to bring towels and make up room met with only 2 towels.

On day 5 they took my AAA card that I was using in the cardholder OUT of the room- I called to have it sent back. I would have waived my daily service charge but felt that unfair to those who helped me- got to the point where a director or someone was helping me out.

Yes, I remember..

I know there are a lot of different conversations happening on this thread at this point, but I see over and over again on this forum, “Who actually can drink enough to make the UBP a good deal?” Well. Millennials can. I shudder to think what my bar bill would be if not for the UBP. For our next cruise, the difference in cost between a Sail Away balcony and a guarantee was $130pp. We paid $124pp in gratuities for the UBP. I would definitely be facing a bar bill in excess of $254 if not for the promo. I’m under no illusion my drinks are “free,” nor are any of the friends I’ve cruised with. But we’ve found a cruise fare with amenities that make it worth it to us.

And really, that’s who I think NCL is chasing with the Free at Sea promotion — the next generation of cruisers. There’s a lot of talk about people being surprised by how much they’re paying, and I’d argue my peers who can afford to take even a budget cruise on NCL are pretty good with money. I guarantee they’re looking at total cost, not just the per person cabin rate, when they book. And honestly, now that my friends are a little older and more settled in our careers, we cruise NCL because we can afford to take a nicer cruise than four of us crammed in an inside cabin on the greyhound of the seas.

I wouldn’t make blanket generational assumptions. Regardless we are ALL saying that free isn’t free, but instead of just taking it, generally speaking the older you get the more likely you are to object to such ploys and demand truth in advertising.

Wow, are we siamese twins :o I had done the same thing my first cruise with NCL paying for SDP, but that was because I was an IC. Then, after booking OC and above, I received the 2 perk offer which led me to start booking Angled Spa Balcony. In my opinion, NCL has the best spas of the big 3 (and it is not even close).

My point is the slightly higher price that NCL proposes has been made null-and-void in my experience due to the included perks that I now consistently use. In actuality, the higher price (if there is one in my class) is a good thing given that is detracts the annoying children of RCCL and the obnoxious drunks/ annoying children of CCL. Sure, you are still going to encounter those groups on NCL, but in my experience, it has been of a lesser degree.

Millennials like the entertainment and late night that is not offered so prominently on MSC, Celebrity, and Regents, and I am not ready to give up the ghost. Who hasn't seen a show or gone to the nightclub and ended up at O'Sheehans..that's part of the magic. As stated before, for the millennial, NCL offers the best bang for the buck (for now...).

Lol, millenials like the entertainment and late night....omg do you really think everyone else has given up the ghost? I love the dances out on deck and O’Sheehans after, and I’m no millenial. Drink up, have fun, but don’t allow big corporations to sugarcoat the dubious tactics they employ

Absolutely, and I understand if it important to other people. It just is not to me and the large majority of Millennial folk who started into Rewards programs as they began to tighten up the past ~10 years.

Like I said, by the time I give up on life, I will be at these higher-tier rewards levels anyways (not far now) or just give up on cruising all-together. Cruising is no exception to another industry Millenials may decide to destroy. After all, we pride ourselves on it ;p

You seem fun too

• 3 years later...
On 10/2/2018 at 1:38 PM, omarchs said:

Highest daily cost, but still no water included. At least they could have finally included water like the other lines.

I also miss the days when I could find really fantastic deals on cruises but the cruise lines have all taken extreme losses during the past two years since the pandemic started.   I would rather pay a little bit more and have the cruise lines stay open and available for future cruising.    If you think the prices are high at the Cruise Line‘s, you might want to compare that to how much you would have to pay for a flight plus all inclusive seven day stay on an island.