UBP Price Increase

TheDougOut

Two dollars more per person per day isn't huge, but when you see a fare that includes a beverage plan nearly $1,000 more than a sail away fare, that IS huge. And then it's another $20 a day on top of that. If someone only wanted a few drinks, they certainly would do better by taking a sail away fare and paying for drinks a la carte. Only issue is not being able to pick a cabin.

What you say is true, we always balance that exact thinking. We enjoy our mimosa, beers in the sun, and wine with and after dinner. Wife and I drink almost nothing at home unless entertaining because life is busy. So when we cruise we like to throw caution into the wind and enjoy. I would say the times we've not used the UBP when not available on other lines we run a 750 to 900 tab for a week. With the ridiculously priced bottles of wine on the ship (seriously, compare them to the grocery store price) it just takes away the hassle.

Not that I don't appreciate your optimistic view of people, but you are giving "most people" way too much credit. There is a reason they offer promos the way they do instead of just a flat rate all inclusive fare with no gimmicks. Just like Royal does all their "sales" that aren't sales at all. One day 20% off is more expensive than 20% off the next day for the same item on the same sailing, based on hidden retail/onboard costs, etc.

In fact, JCPenney was famous for this. Once they did the one low price which was actually a better deal, it was far less effective than the neverending coupon method.

It's pretty basic marketing.

Sure. Basic marketing. But people still generally know how much something costs before handing over their credit card. I realize CC people tend to think they are smarter than the rest of the world (at least those on the NCL forum), but it's simply not true. If you are someone who was fooled, then sorry.

Are there really people when booking their cruise online that hide their eyes, or stick their hand over the screen to hide the part where it shows you your total cost? That's nuts.

Sure. Basic marketing. But people still generally know how much something costs before handing over their credit card. I realize CC people tend to think they are smarter than the rest of the world (at least those on the NCL forum), but it's simply not true. If you are someone who was fooled, then sorry.

The fact that you don't realize that people don't catch on to this is kind of funny. Think about the car sales industry and their constant "sales" and gimmicks. They do this because it works. NCL's approach with Free At Sea is no different. It's designed to get people to pay more by thinking they are getting a deal. It's effective. It's exactly why they do it. And most buyers are susceptible to this approach as proven over and over by so many companies and industries that use it.

Yes, they know how much something costs, but they think they are getting a deal... and thus, are less likely to shop around.

The fact that you don't realize that people don't catch on to this is kind of funny. Think about the car sales industry and their constant "sales" and gimmicks. They do this because it works. NCL's approach with Free At Sea is no different. It's designed to get people to pay more by thinking they are getting a deal. It's effective. It's exactly why they do it. And most buyers are susceptible to this approach as proven over and over by so many companies and industries that use it.

Yes, they know how much something costs, but they think they are getting a deal... and thus, are less likely to shop around.

My original post that started this was in response to a post that suggested people should look at the price. I felt it was a captain obvious statement, but people were acting like it was brilliant. I still find it funny, but you've taken it way out of context. I'm done.

What you say is true, we always balance that exact thinking. We enjoy our mimosa, beers in the sun, and wine with and after dinner. Wife and I drink almost nothing at home unless entertaining because life is busy. So when we cruise we like to throw caution into the wind and enjoy. I would say the times we've not used the UBP when not available on other lines we run a 750 to 900 tab for a week. With the ridiculously priced bottles of wine on the ship (seriously, compare them to the grocery store price) it just takes away the hassle.

So true!!! On a cruise several years back my sister and I opted to NOT get the drink package and guess what... at the of the cruise we owed literally more than the cruise itself cost! ;p Our cruise fare was under $1,000pp and our drink bill was over $1,200pp! :evilsmile: We have since always opted for the drink package.

Are there really people when booking their cruise online that hide their eyes, or stick their hand over the screen to hide the part where it shows you your total cost?

YES!!!!

They are out there. Wait a day or 2 and one of them will make a thread about how they were double charged for something...even if it was for 2 different things.

So true!!! On a cruise several years back my sister and I opted to NOT get the drink package and guess what... at the of the cruise we owed literally more than the cruise itself cost! ;p Our cruise fare was under $1,000pp and our drink bill was over $1,200pp! :evilsmile: We have since always opted for the drink package.

I know quite a few people that happened to when we started cruising. Personally we almost never drank on the ship until we got the UBP for free on our first NCL cruise, but a lot of our friends cruised Carnival and came home with drink bills that were more than the cruise fare.

Does anyone know in Florida if you have to buy from a distributor or if you can buy direct from the manufacturer/importer?

It's not quite the same thing, but I know that stores here have to buy from a distributor. There's a beer up in Minnesota that my wife likes, and that you can buy at Total Wine up there, so I asked the local Total Wine to order it and they said they can't, because it isn't carried by their distributor. When I pointed out that the Total Wine stores in Minnesota carry it, he said that didn't matter, because it's illegal for them to ship alcohol across state lines, only distributors can do that.

Really? I defended that I like paying the gratuities only instead of the package price. I still maintain that because I'm not a fool.

I am teasing you. I had posted my shocking discovery how much less the package was on Carnival plus how it once included $50 per drink and included water, coffee, and milkshakes. I remember you saying it was not superior to NCL because Carnival limited you to 15 drinks per day or something like that.

I don't think Carnival limits drinks to be cheap. I think they do it as a liability issue. If they were letting you drink $50 drinks, I don't think they were too concerned about price ;)

I think what any sensible person should be doing is calculating the TOTAL cost of a cruise. Whether Carnival charges for he drink package and NCL bakes it into the fare, or RCL "includes" the Internet package and NCL has up-charges for different levels, what it all boils down to is the bottom line. Calculate the total cost of the cruise and choose accordingly.

Exactly, that is what we do. If you look at my signature you will notice the next 6 cruises is on MSC lol. Love NCL but we go by final price when choosing a cruise.

True. Although they could give away free cruises valued at 5x actual worth, and then just charge a 20% service charge.

Free cruises for everyone!

Dang it Doug. What if Del Rio reads this thread?

I don't want to have to spend the next year arguing with people that their cruise really wasn't free.

Now that we are Platinum there is such a wide difference in points there is no incentive for us to keep cruising NCL to get to Platinum Plus.

Carnival looks better every day....

This makes no sense to me. Did you get to platinum for the status rather than the perks? Because now that you are platinum you get the perks on every single sailing. Go to Carnival and you won't have the free laundry, free dinners, etc.

I am teasing you. I had posted my shocking discovery how much less the package was on Carnival plus how it once included $50 per drink and included water, coffee, and milkshakes. I remember you saying it was not superior to NCL because Carnival limited you to 15 drinks per day or something like that.

I don't think Carnival limits drinks to be cheap. I think they do it as a liability issue. If they were letting you drink $50 drinks, I don't think they were too concerned about price ;)

Carnival changed it I think last week, it is now maximum of $20 so they must have decided it was costing them too much.

It's not quite the same thing, but I know that stores here have to buy from a distributor. There's a beer up in Minnesota that my wife likes, and that you can buy at Total Wine up there, so I asked the local Total Wine to order it and they said they can't, because it isn't carried by their distributor. When I pointed out that the Total Wine stores in Minnesota carry it, he said that didn't matter, because it's illegal for them to ship alcohol across state lines, only distributors can do that.

You are more right than you give yourself credit for. In most states, retailers have to buy from a distributor. As a retailer, NCL would need to buy from a distributor. Now the duty free thing may throw it off, not sure if they are serving duty free alcohol and if so are they still required to buy from a distributor and not the manufacturer/importer.

There’s probably a difference, as this is being disguised as “tips” (which they’re not) levied against an artificially-priced “free” item. The increase has nothing to do with the item being chosen or the employees that provide the service. It’s a fare increase, again and again, to the point that the face-value cost of the package is laughable.

You do not have to select that perk. You would not pay a single cent more!

The cost of this perk is ridiculous. What makes it unacceptable to me is that as a moderate drinker, I have to turn down the drink package because of the $20 gratuity. At $99 that makes the gratuity $20 per day per person. For a 14 day cruise the total cost per person would be $1386 and $ 277 per person or total for 2 = $454 for two weeks.

We have done 18 cruises, 7 on NCL and never spent more than $500 on booze for a 14 day cruise. That was before we were platinum and didn't get the free bottle of wine with our Le Bistro meal.

On our last New England and Canada cruise, I purchased five bottles of wine in Boston for $40 (the wine was good, it was $12 wine on sale), paid the $15 per bottle ($75) corkage fees and had all the wine that I needed for the cruise for $115.

Of course, my cruise cost was inflated due to including the drinks packages, etc.

If you select ANY perk you have to pay more. For instance, MX category cabins receive no promotional add-ons. If you want a perk you must book a higher priced cabin to receive the perk. Nothing is free with NCL.

Yes but this is a FORUM, where we go to discuss or express or disgust or just vent LOL;p Not sure why some cannot figure out what a FORUM is.

I guess on a message board forum called Cruise Critic we are supposed to talk about the weather.

• Like 1

Yes but this is a FORUM, where we go to discuss or express or disgust or just vent LOL;p Not sure why some cannot figure out what a FORUM is.

Oh I get it, very enjoyable reading inane ramblings on this...

Nobody pays full price for this, NCL knows it.