Cell Phone in Harvest Caye

IWannaGetAway

I hate the idea of having to check my cellphone while on vacation, but this time I think I will have to. I've contacted Verizon for rates at all the ports on our itinerary, including Belize. But I got to wondering whether Harvest Caye may still be considered on NCL since it is a private island owned by NCL. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thank you in advance!

The ship's Wireless system doesn't reach onto its islands - Harvest Caye or Great Stirrup Cay. Even if they build systems on the islands they would be a different system from the ships and they'd have to charge separately since we know they would never offer it for free!

My son is getting the ship's unlimited wifi package. Verizon told me that the way to tell for sure that we are far enough from the ship to be on their plan is when his wifi drops. Are you doing the travel pass for $10 a day? Or maybe if you are just checking in regular charges would be better. We signed up the whole family for Travelpass. I like it that you are only charged the $10 if you use it

I plan on using the Travel Pass. I like the idea of not getting charged unless I use it. If I understood Verizon correctly, though, whenever we are on the ship we are charged the ship's roaming charge of $2.99 per minute. Ouch. Hope I won't have to use that!

Thanks to all of you for your responses!

We traveled January of this year and I could not pick up a signal via AT&T on Harvest Caye. This might have changed. I did use the iconcierge app on the ship to make a few phone calls but nobody picked up because the caller ID showed my ship number not my cell and I didn't know enough to warn people.

• 2 months later...
On 10/2/2018 at 4:46 PM, kathy884 said:

My son is getting the ship's unlimited wifi package. Verizon told me that the way to tell for sure that we are far enough from the ship to be on their plan is when his wifi drops. Are you doing the travel pass for $10 a day? Or maybe if you are just checking in regular charges would be better. We signed up the whole family for Travelpass. I like it that you are only charged the $10 if you use it

I did that last year and picked a couple days in the 14 day trip to use it and told everyone to contact me on those days or visa versa that id contact them - rest of time I shut down phone  figured if there was an emergency they could contact us thru the ship

Edited by tanjan4evr
added more info

On 10/3/2018 at 7:17 AM, IWannaGetAway said:

I plan on using the Travel Pass. I like the idea of not getting charged unless I use it. If I understood Verizon correctly, though, whenever we are on the ship we are charged the ship's roaming charge of $2.99 per minute. Ouch. Hope I won't have to use that!

Thanks to all of you for your responses!

I have Verizon and I used the travel pass in February. I only used it when we were docked not when we were at sea so didn't have any roaming charges. There was 1 Port I didn't have good cell service but I didn't think it was Harvest Cay. Our other ports were Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel. 

* I just checked FB from when we were on the cruise and I posted from Harvest Cay so I had Verizon service. 

Edited by Stlcardsfan79