Viking vs Uniworld Nile Cruises

lilybug

It is a decision based upon quality of the accommodations, what is included, etc. Lots of good info on the various cruise lines on the forum. My 1st river cruise was on the Douro through Portugal. I considered all the lines and chose Uniworld. I leave in 60 days for my 3rd Uniworld trip and my 4th is already booked with them. An additional bonus is most lines do give a loyalty discount to return cruisers. I would not be using them again however if I wasn't thoroughly pleased with their product.

I've been looking at the Viking Pharaohs and Pyramids cruise, which I find very well planned (especially with the 4-night post-cruise option in Jordan). But it is very confusing because they list dates for both their old ship [which I wouldn't book] and the new Viking Ra [which despite delays is apparently now cruising]. The real problem is that all the Viking Ra dates show as "sold out" – even in 2020. This means I have to figure out when they will release the 2021 dates and jump on it!

We have cruised Uniworld before and enjoy the line, the cabins, the amenities.

Now in Egypt they do include drinks and gratuities.

I’m sure both lines are great but we chose Uniworld for our February 2019 cruise with pre trip to Jordon.

Sure you will like either line as both are primo.

I've been looking at the Viking Pharaohs and Pyramids cruise, which I find very well planned (especially with the 4-night post-cruise option in Jordan). But it is very confusing because they list dates for both their old ship [which I wouldn't book] and the new Viking Ra [which despite delays is apparently now cruising]. The real problem is that all the Viking Ra dates show as "sold out" – even in 2020. This means I have to figure out when they will release the 2021 dates and jump on it!

And sometimes Viking uses SOLD OUT simply to mean "not open to booking at this time."

My travel agent hosted a Viking Travel Talk last night. We’ve cruised with Viking before but went with friends who hadn’t. Anyways the Viking rep did mention Egypt is a hot destination and the cruises ARE sold out. If you see a date available you better jump on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We chose Uniworld over Viking based on reviews, what is included and mostly for price. We were actually booked on Viking Ra for nearly the exact same date in late 2019 and friends that are travelling with us found Uniworld to be several thousand dollars less expensive. Don't know if we just got lucky but since both lines have great reviews it made it a no-brainer and Uniworld also offered a pre-cruise extension to Jordan rather than a post cruise one which worked better for us too.

There were still openings for Uniworld in fall 2019 when we booked a few weeks ago.