What to do with 6 days after cruise (from Sydney)?

debeni

7 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

Hi.  I'm not the original poster, but I was hoping that person doesn't mind me jumping on here to ask a question or two.  I am looking seriously at booking a cruise in February, so could someone please tell me this:  About how hot are we talking, at least  for the major areas of Sydney, Melbourne, etc.?  I live in a city that gets pretty hot and humid in (our) summer, so I think I'm fairly tolerant of heat and humidity.  But I just thought I'd ask the question!!   

I'm wrestling with what to add to a 14 day cruise down under.  We want to stay longer, but aren't sure how to do it.  To take another cruise (back to back cruise with different ports) gets a little expensive and add a lot of time.  However, I don't want to fly all the way to Australia without seeing what we can in about a month's time (New Zealand, too).   I realize we could probably spend two months, but I just want to see the highlights, and a month is probably as much as I can handle before getting a little weary. 

The heat here wouldn’t be any hotter than you get in the states at times.

Your right it’s a long way to travel and a big expense.

lot af Americans fly to Auckland,stay a few nights and have a look around.

Do a one way cruise to Australia and have a look around.

You could do a second cruise before you fly home.

If you really want to experience either country especially NZ you have to hit the road and hire a car 

Oh, sorry, another question: Are there many ferries in Sydney and Auckland, or any ferry company that offers, say, a week-long tour?  I know Norway (Hurtigruten) has something like that.  I've always thought those would be a fun way of getting around to a lot of places without having to do full-blown cruises. But I know Australia's a big  place, well, a continent, so hard to cover even the basics without spending a good chunk of time there.....

Edited by roothy123

We wanted to take a Norwegian one-way cruise from Sydney-Auckland or Auckland-Sydney, but they were earlier in the year (December, early January).   The only time we could go was the end of January which was Sydney-Sydney return. From there the Norwegian Jewel starts to make its way back North to Seattle for the Alaskan summer cruises.

4 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Oh, sorry, another question: Are there many ferries in Sydney and Auckland, or any ferry company that offers, say, a week-long tour?  I know Norway (Hurtigruten) has something like that.  I've always thought those would be a fun way of getting around to a lot of places without having to do full-blown cruises. But I know Australia's a big  place, well, a continent, so hard to cover even the basics without spending a good chunk of time there.....

Ferries Not that I know of .

The Great Barrier Reef is a big destination.They do such boat cruises.They are called live aboards.Basicly a large boat or catamaran. They are intermittent and take you to small islands.a lot of them do dive tours.