how long to wait for tardy dinner companions

mef_57

If you know in advance, it's nice to let others at your table know. Since you think you might decide at lunchtime not to eat dinner in Britannia, perhaps you could tell your tablemates and waiters in advance that if you're not there within ~15 minutes of the seating time it means you won't be dining with them that evening.

I don't think you have to make the effort to tell anyone in the dining room between lunch and dinner if you decide at lunchtime that you won't be eating dinner in Britannia, especially if you've advised them earlier that you may not always be there.

Edited by Underwatr

14 hours ago, BigBee51 said:

We will be on our first Cunard cruise and have, I hope, a simple question. We've only had any time dining on our previous non Cunard cruise. What is the expected process to notify someone that we will not be having dinner in the dining room? Sometimes we prefer a nice lunch and something light for dinner instead or just want to eat elsewhere.

You can ring the MDR and leave a message.

16 hours ago, NSWP said:

The Head Waiters should lock the MDR doors 10 minutes after commencement of seating time.  That should sort the latecomers, I am an early bird.

Luckily the staff (and most diners) are much less judgemental than that, so that doesn't happen.

There is a sufficient window of time between opening of the MDR and ordering/service of the meal, that you can join your table mates a few minutes late without affecting anybody else.

Of course it is a courtesy to advise the staff and/or table mates if you are skipping a meal or arriving significantly late (say, more than 15-20 minutes).

A couple of years ago we sat near a 2-top at which the couple routinely arrived 45-50 minutes after the default seating time. They were still efficiently and professionally served (and her entrance was worth nothing).

Edited by Underwatr

On 10/8/2018 at 6:22 PM, picsa said:

It is simple common courtesy is to turn up on time.

My view is that if you are more than 15 minutes late then it would be better if you didn't turn up at all, instead of confirming to your dining companions that you have no consideration for them.

On my last cruise on a table of six, one couple had the courtesy to do that one evening when they were running late and went to the buffet instead.

However the other couple turned up late every night, never earlier than 10 minutes late, usually 20 minutes, and occasionally more. At 10 minutes late the waiters hustled them into making a quick decision from the menu as the rest of us had already decided. When they turned up 20 minutes late they seemed slightly shocked that we were part way through the first course.

I have previously mentiond, we on we always have a table for two for dinner, but for people sharing a table,  maybe it would be a good idea on the first night to speak about arriving on time.🙄

5 hours ago, Underwatr said:

A couple of years ago we sat near a 2-top at which the couple routinely arrived 45-50 minutes after the default seating time. They were still efficiently and professionally served (and her entrance was worth nothing).

No doubt greased a few palms in the MDR, including the Headwaiter.   We were on QM2 last year and doors were closed 20 minutes into service.  That is more than generous to the latecomers.

22 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Underwatr, I'm just curious:  Did you mean her entrance was un-memorable, or that it was worth noting?