Ordering room service coffee

Cookiesbykk

Another newbie question from me:o .

The idea of ordering coffee from room service in the morning appeals to me - I can drink it out on the balcony while hubby is still in the shower. Do they deliver it in a mug/small pot or other?

And what is the appropriate tip for this request?

Karen

Guest AdiosReality

They do serve by the pot, and bring you mugs along with it, do specify how many mugs you'll need and cream, sugar, etc. Yes it is wonderful having coffee in the room, as you don't have to get dressed and go upstairs to look, "somewhat" awake, then push through a mass of other cruisers trying to pull off the "awake look" who mind you, are still grumpy due to not having their first cup of morning coffee. Not to mention, they brew, (or for lack of a better term, make the coffee) right before they take it to your room, so it does taste fresh. The appropriate tip is to your discretion, we will tip $2 for any room service, unless it takes more than 15 minutes, than just $1. They are always up within 5 minutes or fill out the morning card prior to the next morning, and they will promptly bring it at the advised time. It all depends on how you feel about the service being given, we have ALWAYS been amazed at the wonderful service given, and how timely they are. I'm sure you will be too! Happy Cruising!!!:p

I agree with the tip and the statement that it is good, quick, and efficient service.

One thing to note is that you must write everything that you want on the order. Don't assume that they will bring cream & sugar unless you ask for it. The same goes for milk with a box of cereal, etc. Specify everything and you will be a happy crusier.

a pot of coffee while watching the sunrise on my balcony...heaven :) .

I usually tip $2 for just the pot of coffee and cream and have found that it seldom takes more than 10 minutes. By the time I'm done with my coffee, dh is waking.

On our last cruise, I took to ordering a pot in the afternoon (we had late seating for dinner). Sometimes my friends (next balcony) would order a plate of cookies ;) to go with their coffee.

a pot of coffee while watching the sunrise on my balcony...heaven :) .

I usually tip $2 for just the pot of coffee and cream and have found that it seldom takes more than 10 minutes. By the time I'm done with my coffee, dh is waking.

On our last cruise, I took to ordering a pot in the afternoon (we had late seating for dinner). Sometimes my friends (next balcony) would order a plate of cookies ;) to go with their coffee.

If you get more then a pot of coffee do you tip more then $2? Do they bring real cups or styrofoam cups? A large carafe verses ordering two gets you aproximately how many cups? We have never really gotten room service before so curious how it works.

If you get more then a pot of coffee do you tip more then $2? Do they bring real cups or styrofoam cups? A large carafe verses ordering two gets you aproximately how many cups? We have never really gotten room service before so curious how it works.

Order whatever you want and as much as you want off of the little door tag they put on you pillow every night and hang it out with the time you want to rise......we always put out $2.00 by an open spot (for the tray) and let room sevice be our wake-up call.....what a beautiful way to start each and every day on ship.......Let the time you mark reflect you previous night's lateness or lack of each day. The cups are beautiful ceramic cups.....each pot gives approx. 4 cups. just ask for more if you need it:cool:

" put out $2.00 by an open spot (for the tray) " is that outside your cabin? What a wonderful way to start the day with a little room service coffee...we have always been the ones that half asleep stumbling up to the buffet areas to grab a cup of joe. This sounds so much nicer.

I always bring an envelope full of $1 bills that I keep close to the night stand. When room service knocks at my door, I grab my Princess robe, open the door and let them bring the tray in. My tips are always ready and I give them anywhere from $2-$5 depending on the amount of food ordered. Coffee with or without toast would be $2 and a full breakfast would be $5. And other items might be anything in-between.

On several of my cruises room service has been early. Since I'm an "I'm on time, but don't expect me early" person, that created a slight problem (think, "still in bed."). So now, in addition to the time I want room service I write "Please call first", Thanks" across the ticket. They *always* call, and coffee is delivered about five minutes later.

On Regal Princess our room steward was the one who brought it rather than a separate room service waiter. Its the first time that has every occurred. I tipped him $2. each time, as I would the room service waiter. Another passenger told me she didn't tip for room service, "since its my room steward and I'm already tipping him." I thought that was tacky. Oh, and she spent one afternoon in the (high cost) beauty salon. Believe me, with the results she got, she should have spent the money tipping the steward instead. ;)

" put out $2.00 by an open spot (for the tray) " is that outside your cabin? What a wonderful way to start the day with a little room service coffee...we have always been the ones that half asleep stumbling up to the buffet areas to grab a cup of joe. This sounds so much nicer.

What nwe meant was clean off a spot in your room so you don't have to do it while the server is holding the tray.:cool:

After trying Princess coffee last fall we now travel w/a 4 cup maker and our favorite coffee. We let them bring hot water and cups to the cabin but drink brewed coffee rather than reconstitued syrup. You can also use a French press w/their hot water. We really like a good cup when we wake up and Princess coffee just doesn't cut it but you'll find out.

After trying Princess coffee last fall we now travel w/a 4 cup maker and our favorite coffee. We let them bring hot water and cups to the cabin but drink brewed coffee rather than reconstitued syrup. You can also use a French press w/their hot water. We really like a good cup when we wake up and Princess coffee just doesn't cut it but you'll find out.

All I've got to say is......oh brother.

"[B]On several of my cruises room service has been early. Since I'm an "I'm on time, but don't expect me early" person, that created a slight problem (think, "still in bed."). So now, in addition to the time I want room service I write "Please call first", Thanks" across the ticket. They *always* call, and coffee is delivered about five minutes later."[/b]

That's why I always have robe ready to be grabbed immediately, since there is a half hour delivery time frame on the door cards.:D :D

how do you get a 4 cup glass coffee carafe onboard a cruise ship without it shattering into a million pieces in your luggage?:confused: seriously, im a coffee nut and would consider bringing one with me if i could pack it, i suppose i could stuff it with socks?;)

Last summer on the Sapphire we actually ordered several pots the morning we cruised the Glaciers both as a wake up call and to take up on deck to enjoy with the scenery. While we were watching the icebergs sipping and visiting with our large party, a lady came along proceeded to give my wife the dickens for having the coffee moved back where she couldn't get to it, informed her that she was as self centered expletive and that she was going to inform somebody who would do something about it. Tenia calmly poured her a cup added cream and sugar and sent the lady on her way no calmer than she started. We saw her several more times the course of the cruise and boy did she get out of our way. Wonder still if she was told the truth when she went to tattle on the coffee hogs! Room service coffee tates pretty good to us, but then I fail to see how paying $3.00 for over roasted coffee in a paper cup makes it taste better.;)

Not to mention, they brew, (or for lack of a better term, make the coffee) right before they take it to your room, so it does taste fresh.

I'm not sure about that. It is our understanding (we asked) that the ship's coffee is made from concentrate in large pots in the kitchen. When you order some they just fill the carafe from the big container. Perhaps they use different 'blends' at times for various reasons - that I don't know. Either way, we do love to get coffee delivered in the morning. On some Princess cruises it has been excellent - on others just so-so.

Archived