swimming pigs

muffyn

2 minutes ago, BNBR said:

There isn't enough time to do a real swimming with the pigs excursions as it's an all day trip to the Exumas.  Rose Island is just a tourist trap version.

Yes, basically they acquired a few pigs and put them in the water.

How much time and how many pigs do you have to swim with to consider it a worth while trip?? Even if you had time to go to Exuma you would not spend that much time actually swimming with the pigs, rather you would be enjoying the other activities offered on the excursions. If you just want the experience of pigs in the water with you then Sandy Toes is an option. In any case, swimming pigs,  in itself,  is a tourist trap no matter where it's done😄

I guess if you literally just want to swim with a pig....

I think the draw to Exuma is that it's THE place, it's unique, off the beaten path.  It's the authenticity of it. 

I disagree that it's just a tourist trap.  The pigs were not placed on the islands for tourists.  That's what made it so interesting.  Otherwise it's just a petting zoo like Sandy Toes.

Edited by BNBR

13 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I guess if you literally just want to swim with a pig....

I think the draw to Exuma is that it's THE place, it's unique, off the beaten path.  It's the authenticity of it. 

I disagree that it's just a tourist trap.  The pigs were not placed on the islands for tourists.  That's what made it so interesting.  Otherwise it's just a petting zoo like Sandy Toes.

I agree, I’d compare the two to traveling to North Carolina’s outer banks and heading to Ocracoke Island to see the wild ponies vs. going to a farm to look at those ponies. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Curious if anyone has done the Swimming with Pigs excursion on Great Stirrup Cay that NCL offers? Seems kind of expensive for what it is but would love to hear from anyone who has done it. Saw a video on YouTube but it was very anticlimatic.

• 1 month later...

From Nassau there are two options to see piggies:

1.  Sandy Toes on Rose Island https://www.sandytoesbahamas.com/ as others have mentioned, these are not wild pigs, they are maintained (fed, cared for) by Sandy Toes, and brought out for photo ops.  

2.  Exuma.  This is approximately 1.5-2  hours via speedboat from Nassau, and is the real deal.  You will be pressed for time coming via cruise ship, and only one company guarantees your  return on a cruise ship.  http://www.exumawatertours.com/

It is VERY expensive ($400), and the reviews on TripAdvisor are VERY mixed.  I thought long and hard about booking this tour even with the steep price, but ultimately decided I didn't want to risk it.  Simply too many variables, and just sounded like it could be too much rushing around while i'm on vacation trying to relax.  

The other option is to book a puddle jumper flight from Nassau to Exuma, but again, a lot of variables.