One Way Air Fares On Spring Transatlantic Are Crazy!!

happy 2 b cruising

21 minutes ago, SRQMom said:

We just booked Gatewick to Florida using Westjet via Toronto.  They are a Canadian based airline.  Got First Class for $607.00 pp.

That's a long way. Sorry to disappoint but Westjet lacks any kind of first class product.  You may get economy plus from MCO/TPA and i can't recall what the are currently offering on their 767.  Depending on when you are travelling ex-LGW, you may get the new 787 - the very first one for Westjet flew yesterday at Boeing - and it will have  Business class product.  If you are on one of their 767s - I'm sorry as those things have had a tough reliability record with Westjet.  Still, the crews are very friendly and i had a good ride down to FLL a year ago.  

• Like 1

I had to do some playing around on ChoiceAir but finally got a relatively decent business class fare on United to San Francisco.    I played around with different dates and different airports and finally found a fare of about $1,300 FRA-SFO.   I then booked a BA flight to FRA.   

Was much better than the $2,700 - $5,000 on other choices. 

Careful with Norwegian Air and WOW.. Read the latest press releases and coverage.  Those airlines may not survive through 2019 due to financial issues.

Edited by Oren

I feel we dodged one this time... Norwegian cancelled the route into FLL and changed it to fly into MIA which meant we were able to get our money back from Norwegian.  We got flights with BA which were not significantly more than Norwegian.   The only drawback is that we now fly into MIA which I despise.  We are renting a car at MIA which in their defense, is a slick process..

We always use Choice Air when flying one way when going overseas. Much better than our Canadian Airlines

Here is something I just found out from other pasengers while we were on the ship KLM flight from Toronto to Barcelona  was late getting into Amsterdam so we missed our connecting flight to Barcelona  I phoned KLM and we are getting a refund of $916.00 cdn and had paid

through choice air $1020.00 cdn. Apparently European airlines do these refunds.

OntarioCruiser

On 10/17/2018 at 2:30 PM, JoePDX said:

Glad I purchased our return tickets for the Edge April crossing a few months ago.   I got business class for $1000 pp one way Edinburgh to Portland on Delta our preferred carrier.

Fingers crossed for everyone else that prices come down.   Last I checked they would be a non-starter for us.

Joe

Glad you acted when you did.  I was a little late checking Choice Air for our return from the Silhouette crossing and saw fares from $8200 each...not only a non-starter but a source of deep laughter from disbelief.  I then started doing some research and found the business class variance from the European cities to different ports of entry in the US are massive and fundamentally illogical.  We are now stopping in Boston for a couple of days and then first class to San Jose.  Total costs are about $1,400 ea...a reasonable number.  Let us know how you enjoy Edge and hi to Jeff.

We are also booked on the Edge TA in April and the Reflection TA in November. One way airfare for both were "sky high" for both transatlantics, but a round trip ticket was unbelievable in price.

Purchased yesterday 01/07/19.

Here is our route; Heathrow to New York on Virgin Atlantic on 5/13/19 and then New York to Heathrow on VA 11/04/19, onto Barcelona via British Airways. The price for two was less than a  Choice air ticket for one from Heathrow to New York. 

Two birds one stone!!

For those who purchased a round trip and do not use the second half, I wonder if there is any future penalty for doing it that way? Otherwise I can see that is the way to purchase tickets for a one way flight in the future.

Hal

23 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

We are also booked on the Edge TA in April and the Reflection TA in November. One way airfare for both were "sky high" for both transatlantics, but a round trip ticket was unbelievable in price.

Here is our route; Heathrow to New York on Virgin Atlantic on 5/13/19 and then New York to Heathrow on VA 11/04/19, onto Barcelona via British Airways. The price for two was less than a  Choice air ticket for one from Heathrow to New York. 

Two birds one stone!!

For those who purchased a round trip and do not use the second half, I wonder if there is any future penalty for doing it that way? Otherwise I can see that is the way to purchase tickets for a one way flight in the future.

Hal

There is no future penalty at all.   If I book a return that I don’t immediately intend to use, I book for the furthest out I can, usually 6 months.  I then call the airline several months later and ask for an extension, which I have received on several occasions. 

16 hours ago, effinaround said:

That's a long way. Sorry to disappoint but Westjet lacks any kind of first class product.  You may get economy plus from MCO/TPA and i can't recall what the are currently offering on their 767.  Depending on when you are travelling ex-LGW, you may get the new 787 - the very first one for Westjet flew yesterday at Boeing - and it will have  Business class product.  If you are on one of their 767s - I'm sorry as those things have had a tough reliability record with Westjet.  Still, the crews are very friendly and i had a good ride down to FLL a year ago.  

We are staying a few days in England post cruise so decided to fly out late in the day on Tuesday.  Westjet just has new 737 Max8's (putting into service this month) so figured standard first class (2 wider seats) would be better on a 10 hour flight than any airline in coach (and buy the time we added extra cost to get exit row, etc.), the $607 we paid for FC on Westjet on a new plane seems good to us.   I used to fly every week as part of my job, so two bigger comfy seats is all I care about.  Since we get into Toronto after 4pm,  we are doing a layover in Toronto instead of rushing to another flight (missed connections not withstanding).  Then took a standard coach back on AirCanada late afternoon the next day (nonstop for $145).  Looking forward to extending the trip in a slow easy pace.  I'll post how the flight turned out on Westjet on the new planes.  

Edited by SRQMom

1 hour ago, HS2BS said:

Two birds one stone!!

Hal

We are on both TA’s as well, but have only purchased two one way tickets from LHR to Reno.  Business Class was a little over 2,000 for both of us.  We have yet to purchase our flight to Barcelona, but am doing my research...we got great deals on both cruises, so hopefully our next airfare will be decent too...yes, oneways are pretty pricy at the moment!  Hope to see you onboard Edge to at least say “hi!”

~Suzy

Hope the OP was able to find decent airfares!

1 hour ago, SRQMom said:

We are staying a few days in England post cruise so decided to fly out late in the day on Tuesday.  Westjet just has new 737 Max8's (putting into service this month) so figured standard first class (2 wider seats) would be better on a 10 hour flight than any airline in coach (and buy the time we added extra cost to get exit row, etc.), the $607 we paid for FC on Westjet on a new plane seems good to us.   I used to fly every week as part of my job, so two bigger comfy seats is all I care about.  Since we get into Toronto after 4pm,  we are doing a layover in Toronto instead of rushing to another flight (missed connections not withstanding).  Then took a standard coach back on AirCanada late afternoon the next day (nonstop for $145).  Looking forward to extending the trip in a slow easy pace.  I'll post how the flight turned out on Westjet on the new planes.  

That's good that you are breaking up the trip.  Toronto is a beautiful city to spend a night in.  Looking forward to your review on the Max8. Almost all of my flying is the ultra-long haul stuff of 12-16hrs so I barely got comfortable when I did Toronto-FLL last year.  As I get older, I find each of the ULH flights more difficult, especially for a coach dweller like me. 

3 hours ago, WarmH2OSailing said:

Glad you acted when you did.  I was a little late checking Choice Air for our return from the Silhouette crossing and saw fares from $8200 each...not only a non-starter but a source of deep laughter from disbelief.  I then started doing some research and found the business class variance from the European cities to different ports of entry in the US are massive and fundamentally illogical.  We are now stopping in Boston for a couple of days and then first class to San Jose.  Total costs are about $1,400 ea...a reasonable number.  Let us know how you enjoy Edge and hi to Jeff.

Hey Wayne -   Good job on that.   I'm pretty good too with checking all kinds of different routings, especially for getting to our place in France.   But we are pretty spoiled with the nonstop Portland to Amsterdam (and return) run on Delta....    Enjoy your crossing!   Hello to Margaret.   It's been 14 years since we did the Constellation crossing!   Yikes!

Joe

17 hours ago, Oren said:

Careful with Norwegian Air and WOW.. Read the latest press releases and coverage.  Those airlines may not survive through 2019 due to financial issues.

I had heard about WOW's issues, but had not heard about Norwegian's.  Good to know.  Hopefully they will survive, or the fares on the other airlines will go way up.

Well, it's only " crazy air fares" for Brits flying out of the UK.
The problem is the drastically lowered value of the British Pound. 
If you have any foreign currency, try 'booking' in that currency and see if it works out to be a better deal.
As others have said, Norwegian Airlines seems to be lower than most.