Gifts for the Genie

ScubaDo

This topic comes up a lot on other boards as well. I just don't understand the need to give a gift to a total stranger who's entire job is to take care of matters associated with your stay on the ship  . I can understand if you sail several times and get to know a certain member of the staff and know what they like. If you have to ask the question of what to give you shouldn't be giving them anymore than an extra cash tip, kindness and respect. Your relationship is considered a professional relationship and giving a gift in this situation is just condescending (poor servant, here is some junk food to brighten your day. Now fluff my pillows) If you happen to find out what they like or need during your time with them it would be a nice gesture to pick it up in port if it's available. I watched a YouTube video where a passenger was in the dollar store making up a bag for the room steward. She purchased tooth paste, toot brushes and some junk candy and some other useless crap that I can't remember. It's like opening a gift on Christmas day and it's socks. Can you imagine getting this stuff weekly from hundreds of passengers? Thank goodness most have the good sense not to do this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 5:33 PM, mek said:

Oh good heavens, add whatever you are planning to spend on a "gift" to the cash tip.  This is no different from the useless stuff family members insist on giving during the holidays.  All it does is make the giver feel good. The staff has to pretend they are so happy to receive your gift when cash what they really want.

Triple thumbs up on this reply!

• Like 1