Barcelona pre cruise days

snorkle lover

Thinking about spending two or three days pre cruise in Barcelona.

Are there pros and cons to doing this through Regent? If we did it

on our own then I would imagine we would need to get our

own transfer from the airport to the hotel and then a transfer

to the ship. We have never been to Barcelona so we would like

to have both leisure time and perhaps a tour or two. 

Does Regent use a hotel that would be walkable to 

shops, restaurants etc.? Any advice would be appreciated.

We have plenty of time to plan since we are doing this in

I can't think of a pro to book a hotel through Regent. The price they charge is usually at least double what you would pay if you booked the hotel directly. Not sure if they provide transport to the hotel if you arrive 2-3 days before start of cruise. In any event, Barcelona airport is not far from the city center, no more than 20 minutes. The port is also very close to the city center. Sometimes it parks right there. So obtaining transport on your own is neither complicated or costly. You're better off going to the port on your own, that way you're not tied to the group departure by bus.

Agree totally.  One time we took the train from the airport, the other time a cab.  We have stayed in a VRBO flat and in a hotel.   Liked the flat in the old section of he city better than the hotel further north in the city.  We took a cab to the port which was easy but there was considerable traffic in the port.   Barcelona is a wonderful city with much to do, all of which is easy to do on your own.   The only warning is to be aware of Barcelona pickpockets who have elevated their trade to an art form.  

Agree with previous posters.  Barcelona is easy peasy.  We did pre-cruise on our own.  Stayed at the Majestic Hotel.  Wonderful hotel and very central to shops, restaurants and sights.  Easy cab ride to port.  Used Tours By Locals for private tour guides.  You can't go wrong but as mentioned do be mindful of pickpockets.  We did not have any problems but have friends who have been victims of pickpockets.

3 hours ago, snorkle lover said:

If we did it

on our own then I would imagine we would need to get our

own transfer from the airport to the hotel and then a transfer

to the ship.

Any advice would be appreciated.

We have plenty of time to plan since we are doing this in

Two very easy things to do by taxi.  I think that you will probably even be able to pay by card, but have 50 euro available or get from an ATM in the airport before you exit the terminal.  The port to airport price is fixed at 39 euro I think.  

There are multiple hotels in BCN.  We have stayed in a number of districts, I choose according to what I am planning to do on the morning before we embark - as long as you are central you will be in walking distance of hotels and bars.  

I have stayed in  Expo Hotel, Hotel Fira Palace, Barcelo Sants, U232 Barcelona, Hotel Suizo.  They were all good experiences with Hotel Suizo being the best in terms of location.  The Fira palace being best in terms of breakfast (we still use it as our benchmark for best ever breakfast 10 years later).  This time we are going to Hotel Santa Marta.  We had one relatively bad experience in a cheap hotel on the Ramblas.  We were unlucky, can't recall the name.  

I choose my hotel by going to booking sites and balance budget against reviews - with some thought about location.    You have time to do your research but do not leave it very late.  Book something cancellable early and then watch prices.  

Nice.  We live in the city - Virginia Highlands.   We have sailed Regent 7 times with our 8th trip coming up in February.   Feel free to email me if you need any Regent advice!  

Forgap at Bellsouth dot net

We love a little boutique hotel called Hotel Do.  It's on the Placa Reial and it is a bit pricey but you're right off the Rambla with an easy walk to the old quarter.  At any rate, if you want to see Gaudi's Sagrada Familia (church) you need to get tickets in advance.  We love Barcelona and discovered the hard way that, although we've seen Gaudi's other places, you can't get into this one without an advance ticket.  It is really amazing on the outside but the inside with its lights through the colored windows is unbelievable.  We paid a little extra for a small tour and it was well worth it.  I'm not a huge lover of going to a lot of churches but I was extremely impressed.  Years ago we went to Gaudi's house and stuff and I loved that as well.  Barcelona is one of our favorite places.

Agree with other. Do it on your own. All the Taxi's take credit cards. You can use your US ATM card in any Bank ATM and get cash for "walking around money." Be sure and book your tour for the Sagarda Familia Church well in advance. If you have time, book a private to the Monastery at Montserrat (Take the Cog-wheel tram to the top and wear hiking shoes). If you have a lot of time, a day trip to Andorra. In the City we have used "Juila Travel" and Viator for day trips.

The subway system  in Barcelona is extremely convenient and cheap. You can buy a 10 journey pass (T-10) is only 10.20 €.  But beware that Barcelona in general and particularity the subway is a haven for pick-pockets. They are usually always a group of 3-4 teenage girls. They would target you unless you look like an easy mark. No backpacks. Put your little wallet with a copy of an ID, one credit card and some money in a shirt pocket, or fanny pack. They target people who are not paying attention to their surrounding, like walking up/down stairs or very crowded platforms or cars. Usually people who are alone, or are with kids, or canes, umbrellas or disabled ,or carrying other packages or too involved with their phones. Don't let this put you off. Just be proactive and they will leave you alone. 

J

Snorkle Lover,

I agree with the general consensus as to doing it on your own, transportation in Barcelona is easy, and lots of good hotel choices.

I strongly agree with making sure that you visit the Sagrada Familia, and getting tickets in advance.  When we went last year we had a ticket with audio tour which was excellent.  The Sagrada is on my short list of most awe inspiring places I have ever visited.

Another great place to visit  is Park Güell , which is a public park and a wonderland for Gaudi fans.  I visited several years ago, you could just walk in, I was planning on visiting again when I was in Barcelona a few weeks ago, and was disappointed to learn that you now need tickets in advance for that too, so I was shut out.

In regard to pickpockets, yes it is an issue, I learned the hard way of how to deal with this, although my experience was in the subway in Rome, not Barcelona.  I had my wallet in my front pocket of relatively snug jeans.  No way you can get that our without my knowing it, right?    Wrong!  They are very skilled.  Now, when traveling, I keep my valuables in a "messenger bag", that has lockable  compartments and slash resistant straps.  

https://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/rfid-blocking-anti-theft-tour-bag-medium/217143?productid=10141515

But whatever you choose to do in Barcelona it is a great city, just strolling around you are bound to come across lots of treasures.

Enjoy your stay and have a wonderful cruise.

Bob

If anyone is really interested in well made, comfortable, pick pocket proof clothing, I can highly recommend

http://www.clothingarts.com

I wear both the women's and the men's shirts (I sometimes prefer the men's shirt because it has two pockets, both if which have a hidden zipper) - the fabric is very comfortable next to skin

Only problem, since this is a very small company, is that orders may be delayed due to limited production so if one needs an item in a timely manner, I would first inquire as to the stock availability.

gnomie :classic_smile:

Edited by gnomie1