Free Airfare experience

Dawnmcl123

Do your due diligence, I've never used as I always found cheaper air at the times that worked for me.

As far as non stop or connecting it depends, you won't know date, time or airline until about 30 days before your cruise.

I was looking at one way flights back from Europe after a trans atlantic and found a non stop about $200 cheaper then what NCL quoted, the rep couldn't even tell me what carriers they had air contracts with

My buddy is using it for his December cruise. I was at his place yesterday and he was talking about it.

I believe he told me they put him on American Airlines in basic economy.

He was able to upgrade his seats by paying extra for the exit row which is what he did yesterday afternoon.

35 minutes ago, Dawnmcl123 said:

Thank you.  But I'm interested in feedback regarding the FREE airfare offered from NCL.

And that is what I was giving you, I declined the FREE air as to much was up in the air as far as times and if it was non stop or not

40 minutes ago, newty25 said:

My buddy is using it for his December cruise. I was at his place yesterday and he was talking about it.

I believe he told me they put him on American Airlines in basic economy.

He was able to upgrade his seats by paying extra for the exit row which is what he did yesterday afternoon.

Yikes... I forgot to add. His was non-stop, early morning the day of the cruise from DCA to MIA.

They  raised prices on our cruise for this free airfare promo.  I had been watching it like a hawk and it jumped the same day the promo came out.  It hadn't changed for months beforehand.  Most people in another thread reported a price increase, but some people said it didn't jump in price.  Personally, I'm waiting for this promo to end.  

Edited by inspiration100

1 hour ago, inspiration100 said:

They  raised prices on our cruise for this free airfare promo.  I had been watching it like a hawk and it jumped the same day the promo came out.  It hadn't changed for months beforehand.  Most people in another thread reported a price increase, but some people said it didn't jump in price.  Personally, I'm waiting for this promo to end.  

I too would rather book my own flight so I can travel when I want on an airline I like. We normally arrive a day or two before a cruise and leave a day or two after. NCL should just keep the prices low and get rid of the "free" flights

8 hours ago, njkate said:

As far as non stop or connecting it depends, you won't know date, time or airline until about 30 days before your cruise.

A few years back my brother and his wife were looking to cruise NCL again out of MIA (Fri to Mon) and asked them to check how much to add airfare, he had already looked on his own so he knew what the prices should be but figured it was easier to book it with the cruise line.  When they told him the price he asked what flights etc.  They told him that they would not know to 30 days out etc.  He put the cruise on hold.  He then called RC got a price for the cruise (same as NCL) for the same dates out of MIA and asked about airfare.  Not only did they tell him the price (again same as NCL) but also what airline and the flight numbers and time.  He asked if they had an earlier flight down and they said they did and for the same price.  He booked with RC then and there and called back NCL to cancel.  When asked why he was cancelling he told them it was because they could not tell him any airfare info except for price.  The agent said they get a lot of people not booking/cancelling right after booking because other cruise lines will tell you.  Not sure if RC still tells you flight info but I think they do.

8 hours ago, njkate said:

And that is what I was giving you, I declined the FREE air as to much was up in the air as far as times and if it was non stop or not

Perhaps this has changed because the friend I was referring to knows his free airfare time, airline, and seat assignment. It's a nonstop. I sat with him yesterday and helped him select his seat (he always flies FC and his NCL seat is in coach).

His cruise is about 45-50 days out I believe (mid-December). They just booked it a week or two ago. And, they booked through CAS and are staying in an H4. So, maybe that's the difference?

We have an H4 booked in November on the same ship and had a long discussion about it.

We booked a cruise with 'free' air + perks ( drink package, unlimited wifi, dinner package ) and as we all know...nothing is really 'free'.  However, in our case the price of the 'free' airfare + perks was truly a great deal vs. the cruise without perks.   

Good to know that seat choice should, in theory, be available via the airline as that is what we are wondering about the most.

18 hours ago, newty25 said:

Perhaps this has changed because the friend I was referring to knows his free airfare time, airline, and seat assignment. It's a nonstop. I sat with him yesterday and helped him select his seat (he always flies FC and his NCL seat is in coach).

His cruise is about 45-50 days out I believe (mid-December). They just booked it a week or two ago. And, they booked through CAS and are staying in an H4. So, maybe that's the difference?

We have an H4 booked in November on the same ship and had a long discussion about it.

In August I was in Haven on my sailing and it didn't make a difference. Are you sure it's NCL and not RCCL or Princess? Curious as with NCL air has always been a mystery until about 30 days out or perhaps it is booking through CAS that made the difference

Edited by njkate

4 hours ago, njkate said:

In August I was in Haven on my sailing and it didn't make a difference. Are you sure it's NCL and not RCCL or Princess? Curious as with NCL air has always been a mystery until about 30 days out or perhaps it is booking through CAS that made the difference

100% positive it's the NCL Getaway. He's a close friend of mine. He went on the Getaway in March and he's going back on the same ship and even sent me his booking because I was asking about his room number since we're going on the sailing two weeks prior. Thought it would be funny if they were in the same two bedroom!

I know they booked through CAS, had two free airfares, and they're in an H4 on the NCL Getaway. We talked about the free airfare through NCL on Sunday and we were both thinking they put him in basic economy on American which would have been horrible. But, he had the flight number and called American and was able to rebook his seat for the exit row.

It's direct, early morning same day as the cruise.

On 10/22/2018 at 9:25 AM, njkate said:

Did they give you an onboard credit?