Iceland in June

lsb48154

We did a land trip to Iceland a few years ago in mid May and the weather was great (in our opinion).  We had clouds/little bit of rain some days, but nothing that would warrant rain pants (or even rain jackets) - but that was our trip.  The temps were in the mid 40's to mid 50's.  None of us wore heavy coats or rain parkas - we were all fine with fleece quarter zips and various layers underneath.

My husband and I wore sneakers and all our kids (older teens/young adults) wore sneakers or cross trainers.  Just what worked for us...

Disclaimer:  We are not sensitive to the cold type people; Weather Varies

Edited by CutieKakes

I took a Ponant cruise last year mid June and did not need rain pants or waterproof boots.  It did rain some time every day and was chilly so a rainproof windbreaker with a hood would be great. Just layer for the sunshine and cold rainy days. Tennis shoes worked well.

I spent a week touring Iceland 2 years ago in September.  Waterproof hikers were handy for wandering around the Lake Myvatn area. It was windy and rainy at times. T'shirt weather at others.  I alternated between my sneakers and waterproof hikers and was comfortable.

You need to be prepared for wet weather. I drove around in July and while Reykjavik was great weather, Westfjords was foggy and rainy, Akureyri was great weather in the morning but by afternoon it started drizzeling. The East side only rained at night and while it was overcast it didn't rain around the Golden Circle or at Landmannalaugar but when we visited Thorsmork it did start raining at the end of day. So you see the weather can be tumultuous so I think it is better to be prepared.

We went to Iceland in May, it can depend on what excursions you are doing. We did a walk to a volcano with a trip to the floor of the volcano (would recommend this) and it was T-Shirts and short sleeves in Reykjavik but at the volcano we had snow and sleet. I'd dress for rain and dry and layers. 

We'll be there next May, so far I'm planning light layers, with water resistant, but not water proof boots.  I've got a wool & down vest to wear for warmth.   From what I can see of the time of year last May, it ranged from actual blizzard like snow to cold (for me) Actual day time temps ranged from 46 to 48 degrees F, which is pretty cold for this LA girl, with 30's overnight.  

I'll report back here when we return :)

Edited by cruise kitty